Thread: ariel photos

Default ariel photos

I am looking for better quality arial/satelite photos or basicaly anything to help me get a more thorough idea about the country I hike in. google earth works fine in the lower 48 and parts of alaska but It is an eyestrain for southeast alaska where I live. It seems every agency I ask city,state or federal makes me out to be a terrorist and wont help me out. Thanks for any help.

Default Infared

I got some great IR photos from the bookstore at UAA in Anch. They show fine detail of brush, water and terrain.
    Getting the right number to give the guy (who didn't seem too excited about helping me figure it out) was the tough part. Then I went to the outfit at Merrill Field that does aerial photography and told him what I was doing. He zipped it up from a microfilm and gave me the number, which I took back to UAA. They are about 2.5' x 2' and very clear, covering about 5 river miles. They were $45 each, which was half the price of the outfit at Merrill.

If it has timber, oil, gas or gold on it, someone has taken a picture of it.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

There's a company called "Aerometric" based out of Anchorage that takes arial imagery for various purposes, and sells the images on the commercial market. If you need something more accurate, ie, for mapping purposes, they can also ortho-rectify and annotate your product as needed. If they don't already have the area imaged that you're looking for, it'll be spendy to get a new area imaged, though.
    Χάρις υμίν καί είρήνη άπό θεου...

Also try getting in touch with the Bureau of Land Management. If they're not able to give you what you're looking for directly, they'll know where to send you. Many commercial imaging companies provide imagery that's not listed on servers like "google earth" or "terraserver" for a pretty reasonable cost. Even searching for Landsat or DigitalGlobe imagery might turn up some good results for what you need.
    Χάρις υμίν καί είρήνη άπό θεου...