Thread: "Tipped TSX's are coming"

Default "Tipped TSX's are coming"

I was just thumbing through my December edition of Handloader, and noticed that Barnes took out a full page add introducing a tipped version of their TSX for 2008. Their website talks about "reengineering the nose cavity" to fit the tip, which looks like a typical polymer tip seen on other bullet designs. Anyway, thought you guys might be interested. I've pasted the announcement from their website for review.
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...-triple-shock/

No 8mm though and I can't see taking my dads 7mm model 77 blued/wood out when I have a new 325 SS A-bolt. I still need to find a good handloader to set me up with a couple boxes of 8mm TSX. Oh well maybe for 2009 till then I will try to prove terminal ballistics of 200gr accubonds.

i thought they already had that in the MRX...? I wonder what the benefits are going to be...really (besides more money)? I personally dont think the BC is any less without it, and it wont break it off. I'll keep loading the original TSX on my .338.
    But I will add, it probably aint gonna hurt anything, and it does look cool! If they would build it in a 90-95grn, I might give it a try in my .243.

Northern

You can already buy some tipped TSX bullets at Sportsman's Warehouse right now. I'm going to run them through my 300 Ultra when I get back from my deer hunt. Hopefully my 300 is finished by then!

The MRX are quite expensive because of their tungsten core. Full retail, a box of "20" MRX .308 165s runs in the low $30s, whereas a box of "50" ttsx .308 168s runs in the low $40s, right at the same price of standard tsx. So what you get with the tipped over the standard is better BC and quicker expansion at lower velocities.

Both are slight improvements over the tsx for those that like the really long shots! I think might also be good for those shooting non-magnums out near the 300 mark and are concerned about a Barnes opening up.

Default as noted above...

the new TTSX is available at Sportsman's Warehouse, Midway, and prob others in 168 gr. 30 cal, with others to follow shortly no doubt. I have not shot them but am anxious to and will reload some as soon as I return from last hunting trip this Dec.

Thanks guys...I haven't been to Sportsmen's, GNG, etc. for a month or so, and I was surprised to hear from several of you that the TTSX was already on the market. I went out this afternoon to see for myself, and there were a few boxes in limited calibers right there on the shelf. The price was only a couple of bucks more than the regular TSX's.

I didn't buy any today, but I did put them on my holiday wish list...two boxes of .30 cal, 168 grns. If they perform well in my .30-06, then I'll use them for spring black bear.

I did buy a box of Varmit Grenades in .22 cal (because there was only one box left). Has anyone used these? I watched the DVD from Barnes, and they seemed way impressive. I'd like to try them on coyote or fox this winter in .223 Encore pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    No 8mm though and I can't see taking my dads 7mm model 77 blued/wood out when I have a new 325 SS A-bolt. I still need to find a good handloader to set me up with a couple boxes of 8mm TSX. Oh well maybe for 2009 till then I will try to prove terminal ballistics of 200gr accubonds.
    They do have the standard TSX in 8mm both in a 180gr and 200gr. I loaded up some of the 200gr over IMR 4831 for my 325WSm and was quite impressed.

I have been told that with the release of the new TTSX the MRX will be phased out. I am not happy with that because I have shoot the 150gr MRX in my .308 and love it. Guess I will have too stockpile what I can get my hands on before they are all gone.

Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.