Thread: Magpies increasing in the Fairbanks area?

Default Magpies increasing in the Fairbanks area?

When we lived in Fairbanks in the 1970s we rarely saw magpies. In fact, my memory is that I never saw magpies unless we went into the Alaska Range or further south.

Now the Anchorage Daily News has reprinted a story from Fairbanks reporting that the black and white corvids are increasing.

What about it, you who live in the Fairbanks area? Are there more hanging around now? Where are you seeing them?

David
    David M Johnson
    Anchorage, Alaska
    http://awildolivebranch.blogspot.com

I noticed the increase in magpies last year, don't know why, must be global warming.

Default Magpies....

Magpies seem to be an incidental, coming into my yard in the Fall, prior to heading out for their Winter gig. They seem to show up in late Sept, or Oct and only stay around for perhaps two weeks before moving on. This has been the pattern in my Two River yard for perhaps 15 years. If anything, they spend less time here now, than they did years ago.

I have been seeing them near my home on the hillside north of town and also out on Goldstream Road. There have been lots of them down around Shaw Creek for years but I seldom saw one in the Fairbanks area until the past couple of years.

I have a theory - which might be just a theory.

Magpies like people. More people/trash to clean up, more magpies.

I knew a guy who shot them when he thought there were too many of them. But, their abundance always seemed to follow the Iditarod. People, trash, dog scraps, etc.

Actually, I'd like a real biologist to test my theory. Count the Magpies on the Iditarod Trail before and after the race.

My guess is that a chart might look like seagulls in Seward during canning season.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

My father in-law said he saw one this fall I think it was. I have not seen any myself in town or up around Cleary summit which is where I spend most of my time. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one in the Interior.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again