Thread: Binocular Help

Default Binocular Help

I've never used binoculars much for hunting here in Alaska but I recently hunted whitetail with a buddy in Idaho and have decided I really do need a pair. I don't have a clue what bino will fit my needs. I will also purchase a harness (bino buddy) so I'm not sure if size or weight will be a problem. I'm looking at the Minox BL8X42BR at Cameraland. Would this pair gather ample light and give me good magnification?
    Thanks, Doug in AK
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Compact compact compact. Bigger is bad as weight goes. Made in the USA Leupold is the way to go unless your looking to spend over a grand and look at german made, for my bucks i choose leupold.

the nikon atb monarch binoculars are excellent binoculars for the money. i shopped around quite a bit before i bought them in 10X42 and so did my hunting partner. http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/pod/0028364.shtml heres a link to them. at 299 dollars they are a great binocular vance

Go look through a bunch of them. 8 or 10 power is a personal preference. You may or may not want to use them with or with out glasses. Eye relief is very important to consider. You don't have to spend 1500 or more on german glass to get high quality optics unless you want too. High end Nikon, Pentax, Leupold, Steiner and others make excellent binos and will set you back 4-600 new, less if you buy used. Stay away from the low end binos though, wast of money. My buddy has a pair of Leupold Windriver 10x50's (low end Leupolds). When we are hunting together I am always clarifying for him what he is looking at. He'll say "there's a moose in the brush". I say "don't see one" I hand him my PENTAX DCF SP 10x43's and he says "oh, never mind". This has happened with other guys I know also.

You should think in terms of waterproof, shockproof, fogproof and a lifetime warranty. The PENTAXES have all this. The 10x43 DCF SP's can be had for around 400 now I think since they came out with the 800 dollar ED's.

Have fun researching and shopping!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

There are three classes of binocular buyers who shop in the range $250-300:

1. Those who have bought the Nikon Monarchs after comparing them to others at the same price point (and even at higher price points.)

2. Those who intend to buy the Nikon Monarchs, having seen them in person, but lack the funds currently.

3. Those who have not yet seen the Nikon Monarchs.

I used to sell binocs. I virtually never had a customer who wouldn't agree with this summation after comparing them. For the money, they're an excellent buy.

The principal virtue of compacts is their size, IMO. Using them for glassing for long periods will leave you wishing you had larger objective lenses. The larger lenses (32 mm and up) gather more light and thereby reduce the work required of your eyes.

Default Bino

The 8 power would be a great choice in the "mid to high" end quality. I have and use Swarovski's 8x30 and can really enjoy them all day without eye fatigue. 10 power might suit Alaska in the field as well. The key is to spend a little more $ to get a great field quality as mentioned.

Thumbs up

Call Doug @ Cameraland and let him know how much you want to spend,hes great to deal with. Look @ the demos he has.

Thanks for the input guys. I stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday and looked at the Minox, Leupold Wind River, and Nikon Monarch. The Leupolds looked the best to me. I've heard Leupold made some improvements in the past year or so. Just wondering if anyone has the Wind River Cascades and if so, are you satisfied with them?
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

My wife has a pair of cascades, she likes them, I dont. I like my pentax's. Nothing really wrong with leupy's. They just dont work for me.

Forum Sponsor

If you have the time please feel free to give me a call to discuss optics, it would be my pleasure to "meet" you.
    BTW, we have some as new show samples of the Nikon 10x42 Monarch ATB in Camo for $239.99 http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/n...page=nikon7432 some of which were never even opened up at the shows
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug View Post
    If you have the time please feel free to give me a call to discuss optics, it would be my pleasure to "meet" you.
    BTW, we have some as new show samples of the Nikon 10x42 Monarch ATB in Camo for $239.99 http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/n...page=nikon7432 some of which were never even opened up at the shows
    Thanks, I'll give you a call later this morning.

Doug in AK