Thread: Predator hunting near Anchorage

Default Predator hunting near Anchorage

Where are some good spots within a hour or so of anchorage to try for some fox or coyote's?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default eklutna flats

might be able to call in some yotes on the flats near eklutna. better check the regs though as far as firearm limitations. jim creek might be productive but there sure is alot of traffic in there. i havent been rabbit hunting in years and have no idea where the cycle is at. point mackenzie would be another place id look into.

I beleive most, if not all of 14c is closed to hunting for wolf, coyote, and fox.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Trapping license

AKPM it may be closed to "hunting" but you can shoot them under your trapping license. I could not find anything in the trapping regs forbidding shooting of those animals within 14C. Only one red fox though.

Default hay flats

once u cross knike bridge u are in 14b which is open for predators. lots of small game decent place to try. just have to be a 1/4 mile off the road. lots of area to scout and set up. that would probably be your best bet for some where close.

The hay flats would be 14A. You don't reach 14B until the Willow area.

I've extensively hunted the Knik area for predators the past couple of years. Man, it's easier said than done. There are so many people that run around Knik it makes the animals so leary and skidish calling them in is tougher than I would have ever imagined. Nothing like the Randy Anderson videos

Default ooops

THanks gremlin for the correction. was thinking a but typed b. thats what i get for day dreaming about teh fllats at work.lol

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Reading from the Regulation Book.....

In 14C, it looks like you can get five wolves. (Outside of Special Management Areas)

As to foxes and coyotes, it's open in 14, but there are "Special Area Restrictions in Unit 14C, Handout available at Anchorage ADF&G."

The areas mentioned are not in 14C.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I am going to pick up a trapping license purty soon the predator hunting laws are a lot more liberal under them. I think there are a few people running wheelers out Knik river and hunting the drainages back there. I have seen one old den site and a couple fox tracks on the flats but I think most of the predators out there are birds. I always see eagles/hawks and frequently owls.

Default Birds cleaned up yesterdays rabbits

I cleaned my rabbits in the same spot today as i did yesterday and all they rabbit remains were cleaned up and i could not find any tracks other than birds. I still have to buy non res tags and licenses so i decided the trapping license is too expencive for this year. I have not really seen any preditor tracks out there yet just lots of moose and rabbits with my barrel pointed at them.

Default point mackenzie

Have you tryed talking to the farmers out there I've sean and heard a few over the years one place you might try is parking at the end of Holstine Rd then walking to the end of the trail. it ends on a raised gravel pad ware you could look out over a swamp saw a coyot there once and heard a few close to me

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    Have you tryed talking to the farmers out there I've sean and heard a few over the years one place you might try is parking at the end of Holstine Rd then walking to the end of the trail. it ends on a raised gravel pad ware you could look out over a swamp saw a coyot there once and heard a few close to me
    start across that swamp and toward the left you will see a lake. this is where I called a whole pack of wolves in with bull grunts one year. you can get over to the backside of horseshoe lake from there.

Do you mean Holstein road out by Big Lake? I couldn't find Holstine road anywhere on a map.