Thread: Any snow left in Alaska?

Default Any snow left in Alaska?

Only partially joking. We were training up at Hatcher Pass until the three day warm-up. Now it is all ice. Anybody know of trails within a couple of hours of the Mat-Su Valley that still have snow?
    Thanks in advance.

Not enough up here. We just lost a tour due to lack of snow and will probably loose the next one too.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

how long of a trail do you need. Archangel road was sitting pretty when we were out skijoring on Friday. You could run out to the mine, then make a run out the Reed Lakes trail and get in 12 miles I guess. Glen Alps trailhead at Chugach State Park in Anchorage is good to go for snow too, you could get 12 on an out and back there. Not long distances but its snow.

Funhog, do you mean Archangel off of hatcher pass at mile11.5? I'm not familiar with the other trails you described. I know some mushers who trained up by the gate at mile 15, but said it was VERY icy. I'm really only looking for about 6 miles, but it has to be a smooth trail suitable for sprinting type sled dogs. There are so many trails around here that are great for distance training, but if you had to take a team around them at 17-19 mph, which is the speed sprint teams train at, you'd cripple them or wrap them around a tree.

yes Greg, that's the trail I am talking about. Its about a mile after the motherlode lodge, you park on the other side of the road.

They set some track up there on Friday of last week, and there is a real smooth surface for running dogs. I know on Friday the trail had 3 inches of fresh dry powder on a nice base, it wasn't icy at all. For me it was perfect conditions for skijoring my dog. It doesn't look like it warmed up that much since then.

does anybody know what Eklutina is like? Is there any snow up there?