Thread: Moving Threads

Default Moving Threads

I'm really not trying to complain, but would like some clarification/consistency. I posted on a question on a new product for emergency contact while in the field, and it got moved to the Outdoor Gear forum. While it is outdoor gear, it is hunting related in that I would be using on remote hunts. Now I see a satellite phone thread that has been on this forum for almost 10 days, yet it has not been moved. I posted here because this forum gets the most traffic and thus there is more of a chance of somebody answering the question I had, and because it is hunting gear. Where am I going wrong?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Good logic, good question.

Thanks for the question, blackfoot. The best answer I can give you is that consistency is something that we strive for, but something that is difficult with a staff of volunteer moderators spread out across the state. This site can get hundreds (or more) posts a day, and sometimes we simply miss some that should be moved. Also, individual moderators may view certain threads differently. We all use our best discernment with moderation, but ultimately we're not perfect. I'm sorry if you feel your post was unneccesarily moved, but please understand that we're doing the best we can to keep this site a valuable resource for Alaska's outdoorsmen (and women!)

-Brian

Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for the question, blackfoot. The best answer I can give you is that consistency is something that we strive for, but something that is difficult with a staff of volunteer moderators spread out across the state. This site can get hundreds (or more) posts a day, and sometimes we simply miss some that should be moved. Also, individual moderators may view certain threads differently. We all use our best discernment with moderation, but ultimately we're not perfect. I'm sorry if you feel your post was unneccesarily moved, but please understand that we're doing the best we can to keep this site a valuable resource for Alaska's outdoorsmen (and women!)

-Brian
    Brian; I am confused. Probably no surprise to you. Anyway; I thought Blackfoot asked a good questions regarding his "spot" post. Blackfoot included his logic referring to where he posted and why; referencing the sat phone thread and consistency in moving posts.

I thought you gave a good response and but someone moved the sat phone thread to outdoor survival-and-whatever but no one moved his post from outdoor gear to outdoor survival-and-whatever?

I know it is not a big deal but we are all volunteers here. If someone is going to "move" stuff around and we all think consistency is a good objective.........all some volunteers can do is ask the more responsible volunteers to "help" me understand or point out inconsistency.

I'm not following you, avalanche. Do you want his original thread moved to the survival forum for the sake of consistency? Is that what blackfoot wants?

Ah...it's late. Off to bed with me!

Default Missing something

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    Brian; I am confused. Probably no surprise to you. Anyway; I thought Blackfoot asked a good questions regarding his "spot" post. Blackfoot included his logic referring to where he posted and why; referencing the sat phone thread and consistency in moving posts.

I thought you gave a good response and but someone moved the sat phone thread to outdoor survival-and-whatever but no one moved his post from outdoor gear to outdoor survival-and-whatever?

I know it is not a big deal but we are all volunteers here. If someone is going to "move" stuff around and we all think consistency is a good objective.........all some volunteers can do is ask the more responsible volunteers to "help" me understand or point out inconsistency.
    AVANLANCHE,I'm with Brian. I'm a little unsure what you were trying so say, especially after the response saying that they aren't perfect and always dont catch things but do strive for consistancy.

Default A good rule of thumb...

Blackfoot/Avalanche,
    If a thread (satellite phone, outdoor gear--tents or otherwise) starts out with, "Well, I'm planning a Kotzobue caribou hunt, and I need some advice concerning..." it will usually get the hunting forum nod.
    If that same thread asks questions about gear like a Sat phone but omits Alaskan hunting language, its probably gonna head to the outdoor gear area.
    Why? Well, while many of the Sat phone users are hunters, not all are. A good many hikers, fisherman, rafters and others use them and would seek that info in an area more broad than specifically hunting.
    Satellite phones are a bit unique in that they could conceivably be considered survival gear just because of their function.
    That said, Brian's right. Sometimes things get moved in error. We're all a work in progress.

Hope this helps!

Frank

Default No Big Deal

It's not a big deal, and I don't care where my post ends up now. I understand it can't be 100% consistent, but it seems there a a LOT of posts that are not Alaska hunting related that stay in the forum. I just always thought if it was related to Alaska hunting in any way, it would stay on the forum. I see posts all the time on "what gun for Alaska", sat. phones, rafts, and other gear related to hunting in Alaska. I would think they should all stay in the Hunting forum. But hey, it's a free forum and a great resource, and I'm not going to complain. If more people visited the other forums more it wouldn't be a big deal.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."