Thread: Kodiak Alaska, summer 2007 final reflection

Exclamation Kodiak Alaska, summer 2007 final reflection

Kodiak is a remarkable place on this great Earth. I am thankful that I had the chance to visit this past summer. There was some great fishing, even though I didn't get the numbers I expected. I still had a great time, and I will admit, I love the island for its natural beauty. The wildlife was spectacular... I have nothing but praise for Kodiak and the creator who provided this place.

Low spots in the experience?? Sure. Provided by two legged ones that speak English. Example: A phrase that I don't believe in anymore, "We will make sure that your visit is the best it can be." But, the ones that said it seemed to be the very same people in the industry that failed to deliver. Some of the people I met who were not into my wallet, "strangers", gave the best advice and service.

I have put off naming names, but I don't mind saying that I won't stay at the *name removed* again when I go back to Kodiak.
    I regret the choice of lodging I made on this vacation. People should get what they paid for, and what was advertised/touted prior to booking. If a B&B operator wants to supply more, then I am sure they will get kudos for doing so and messages in their favor will prevail.. However, when a B&B supplies much less, and helps to sour the experience in other ways as well, then they should be noted for thier failures too. This isn't about retribution for my stay, but I don't think anyone else should have to go through what I did. Not for a trip that may never come again. Let's face it, a flight to the Emerald Isle, and a full week + of fishing and bear viewing isn't cheap. My advice. Do your home work and research the service providers that you may want to hire on your trip to Kodiak.

Looking back, there is enough goodness available on Kodiak to easily warrant a second trip. Each and every time I see a show on TV about Alaska, during these ever colder days/nights in the lower 48, I wish that I could be back there ASAP! If my finances and health hold up, then Kodiak 2008 should be even better.

Happy holidays.
    Last edited by Brian M; 11-25-2007 at 18:50. Reason: nagative comments about businesses prohibited - see forum rules

Sorry to hear your kodiak trip wasn't all you'd hoped. I visited kodiak this summer as well with 2 friends and we had a great time. We considered a B&B, but instead opted for the kodiak island winery cottages. They were 45 minutes outside of town, but had everything we needed, stove, shower, washer and dryer, ect.

We mainly fished the olds, chiniak, twin creeks and the american...mostly with no others around. We didn't catch as many silvers as we hoped, but enough dollies and pinks to keep us happy. We also took out a charter twice (kodiak island charters) with capt. chris, he was great and put us on fish both days.....catching limits of kings and as many halibut and rockfish as we wanted to catch.

We had limited interaction with people while on the island, but the folks at macs tackle store were helpful, they told us which flies were hot and they were dead on.

Town was very expensive, it was confusing to see king crab legs at 17.99 a lb??? when it's only 10.99 at home in the NY suburbs.

All in all we had a great time and enjoyed a true alaskan wilderness adventure all roadside or within a short walk. I would recommmend kodiak to anyone, but do your homework or it can be an expensive trip.

Everyone on this board was very helpful to me with my planning and like you I'm hoping to get back asap.

I have heard that the price difference in crab legs somes from the fact the the big supermarkets sell farm raised instead of "caught".

Default Good tips, Thanks

I think one of the Charters was with Chris Fiala. It was good. We caught a lot of fish.

I will look into some of the things you mentioned... As far as the winery goes, I dropped about $150 in wine and jelly, syrups to bring home.. BOY IS THAT STUFF GOOD!!! :-))

Quote Originally Posted by grover View Post
    I have heard that the price difference in crab legs somes from the fact the the big supermarkets sell farm raised instead of "caught".
    I've heard that the Canadians are experimenting with "farming" Dungeness crab, but King crab are all wild seafood. As far as the price difference goes, welcome to the "Island tax".

My bad. Yhought i read that the Norwegians were farming, but it looks like they are just fishing them too. The local store calls them "red" crabs not King.When asked the local fish guy told me they were getting theirs from Norway, thus the cheaper price.