Thread: Tenakee

Default Tenakee

I'm considering a late season deer hunt out to Tenakee/ Freshwater bay. Everything I've heard so far is that the hunting has been pretty poor this year. Just wondering if anyone has heard or experienced anything different.

Thanks in advance!

Default There are a few Deer

A buddy at work just came back. They hunted 5 days and shot two small bucks on day 5. Some deer (buck only per Emergency Order) are being taken. Remember, they measured 120" of snow on the beaches in APRIL of this year. A lot of deer couldn't even make it to the beach when the snow started flying last November.

It's not like you'll be running the beaches and picking the ones you want (like years past and how the locals like to hunt.) My buddy did say the two they shot were within 200 yds of the beach. Some were hanging up high at the snow line.

Nothing like the good old days when you got 6 tags and could fill 'em all pretty easy.

<<MM>>

I know several groups of guys who have gone to Hoonah and freshwater bay several times this year and none of them have come back with any deer thus far.....Hunting sounds incredibly poor over there right now...

I was just out hunting relativly close to Tenakee recently. I got three and could have filled the last tag. All bucks. Didnt go above the 700 foot level. The deer are where you find them.

Its just like fishing... 20% of the hunters get 80% of the game: 100% of the time.

Suggestion: Slow, Slower, Slowest.

Jake

Thanks for the info guys. I'll post how it went if I end up going. I should know for sure in a week or so.

Default Juneau

We've been doing well in Juneau. Bagged deer each weekend, the last one I picked up was on the road system. I was back at the truck with the deer at 10:30 AM. They definitely got hammered over the winter, but you just need to cover enough ground to find them.

Yeah, its definately not as easy pickins