Thread: Shipping ammo?

Default Shipping ammo?

Just signed up on the forum, first question to ask...what is the cheapest way to ship ammo out of Alaska? UPS and FEDEX will hit me with their ORM-D hazardous charges. Apparently the USPS doesn't ship ammo, just shipping 80 rds of .375 outside. Thanks, Chris... Any way to avoid the ORM-D charges? I'm sure some of you have shipped ammo outside. On the flip side I was going to have 150rds of 8mm ammo shipped up here from Arizona, price quoted to me was 65$. I ended up buying 1000 rds and had it shipped to my folks house in Colorado, 22$ from Arizona to Colorado...ugh....

Chris there is no cheap way to ship ammo. I am a dealer and shipping adds $5 a box for shotgun ammo. You have to pay the hazmat. If you or anyone you know is flying in or out they can take some that way.

put it in your checked luggage
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

anyone know the limits of ammo in checked luggage?

Default AK Air

Alaska Airlines limit is 50 lbs per person with checked baggage. Check the know before you go feature under the day of flight menu for the specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by jim mcleary View Post
    anyone know the limits of ammo in checked luggage?
    varies with the airline.

From NONE to 50 lbs. Most will make noise about the ammo being in "its original container" which if they are reloads, could be a problem at the counter, if they want to look at it. Recommend you put it some form of cartridge box vice a freezer bag. Make sure you declare it.

Alaska terminal gets lots of traffic from hunters, and they are pretty good IME. Although, I have had an AA employee tell me at the counter she did not think I should be allowed to put ammo in my baggage.

Other places freak out sometimes..Hawaii, Toledo. So....print off the airline regs and have them with you for back up. Works for me. I travel a lot an always seem to have ammo in my suitcase.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

there is another way to ship ammo..... you can check with Lynden or some of the other shippers for prices, quantity etc. Generaly, these big companies deal with fairly large quantities and I think one of the Lynden Companies has barge service coming in form Seattle. Might be a good way to moove a significant volume if you are not in a hurry. I assume that Hazmat charges would still apply but dont know for sure.

I chatted with a fellow some time back, and if I recall, he was shipping black powder up in fairly large lots via barge. There was still some sort of limit to the amount he could ship due to it being an "explosive" but it sounded like he had done a fair amount of research and it was the cheepest way to go.

I also am curious about Canada, and how much (if any) ammo or powder you are allowed to transit the contry with?
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispc View Post
    Just signed up on the forum, first question to ask...what is the cheapest way to ship ammo out of Alaska? UPS and FEDEX will hit me with their ORM-D hazardous charges. Apparently the USPS doesn't ship ammo, just shipping 80 rds of .375 outside. Thanks, Chris... Any way to avoid the ORM-D charges? I'm sure some of you have shipped ammo outside. On the flip side I was going to have 150rds of 8mm ammo shipped up here from Arizona, price quoted to me was 65$. I ended up buying 1000 rds and had it shipped to my folks house in Colorado, 22$ from Arizona to Colorado...ugh....
    Oh more
    I shipped 30 cases of 22 ammo to Alaska via FEDEX a few years ago for $37 a case. At the time that was cheaper than LTL van services with Pacific Freight Forwarders.

I have also shipped a can here or a can there via FEDEX with no problem, Always call the Company HQ and talk to the HAZMAT person, Bring a print out of the rules beore going to the shipper. Go to the main station as well, not a satellite.

Shipping by barge, means only 400 lbs per container total. The Hazmat fee is for the pallet load, which can be 400 lbs. There is a lot of scams by shippers out there. Be careful! There is no hazmat fees on loaded ammo. The easiest way is to just pay the over shipping fee to the airline. REMEMBER that the only Hazmat fee applies to powder and primers.

When they squawk about Hazmat fees for loaded ammo, someone is trying to pull one off on you.

Your problem is you don't have enough to ship by barge. I would put the ammo in a separate container in plastic boxes, taped shut. Mark the box as the airline wants it marked and pay them for the excess baggage.

SPAN Alaska has all ways had the best rates for shipping to Alaska.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Shipping ammo?

Well, so far no luck, if I was going by plane no problem, but I've actually sold some ammo to someone who lives out of state. The problem is that 4 boxes of .375 is going to cost 106$ to ship via fedex!!!!! I'm half way tempted to stick it into a USPS box inside of an ammo can and just send it, although that's a big no-no with the USPS, and being that they are a federal agency... Any other suggestions, thanks! Chris...

send back the money
    or ask a friend to carry it to the mainland, then UPS it....