Thread: Old Rabbits and New Tricks

Thumbs up Old Rabbits and New Tricks

For close to 50 years now, I've been soaking rabbits and squirrels overnight in salt water to "soak out the blood" and pale the meat, while also making the flavor milder. Heck my daddy did it that way and my granddaddy before him.

I finally got around to doing an experiment last night- something I've been thinking about for the last 40 of those 50 years.

I soaked a snowshoe hare in plain old freshwater. There's some chemistry/physiology behind wanting to do that (osmotic gradient, for anyone who wants to look it up). We've always soaked shark in freshwater to get the urea out, and it works much better than saltwater.

Back to the experiment. The hare meat came out paler than any I've ever seen. As pale or paler than the cottontail we used to get, and approaching something like raw chicken breast in color.

Can't tell you anything about taste difference yet, but I'm betting it's even milder. If you think hare flavor is too strong, you might give this a try. I'm betting it's an improvement, but will report back after dinner.

do you have hard or soft water? If this is going to be scientific we need to minimize the variables. I have soft water and will probably try this tonight if today goes to plan.

Don't know about hard or soft. We've got a little iron and it's a little acidic, according to the well tests- if I remember right 30 years later.

My wife went to package the rabbit while ago, and she noticed the difference- "WOW! What did you do?"

Reporting back--------

That produced the mildest, sweetest snowshoe hare we've ever had. No leftovers tonight. That makes me really regret the one I missed on a short hunt today. Once this storm clears the deck, hunting is going to get serious.

Yeah I missed one too, but the other 5 weren't so lucky

I soaked my rabbit in Milk for about 2 hours and it seemed to have removed all the strong hare taste out of the meat and it came out real pale.