Thread: Glad I dumped the Knik Hares

Default Glad I dumped the Knik Hares

I was thinking that I would stop at the flats for some bunneys as the snow is gone. (white rabbits brown back ground how hard could it be) But whin I saw all the people I kept Right on going. I was going to stop at Sutton but it was such a nice drive I went right on by there. Finley my but started to hirt so I stopped. The Rabbits were evreywear I stopped counting at the 50th rabbit I jumpped. If the brush was not so thik I would have had my limit in about fifteen minuts but as I would only catch a glimps as thay ran away, I truged on. By the end of the day I had 8 in my pack I missed three other that I should have had but thats tuff picking them off in that thick stuff as they run at top speed. the bust part is that I jumped three ruffed grous unfortunitley, I missed two of them but thay have got to be the bust eating bird out there. it's amazing how much all those rabbits weigh my back is sore! I boned all the meat I'me going to try something new and smoke them. I'll make stew with the left overs that I could not bone.

Default Knik Hares

It Wasn't Bad Out There At All Until Around 2pm. I Heard Minimal Gunfire Except Where Me And My Buddies Were. We Had 25 Rabbits In About 2 Hours, Could Have Probably Killed 50 Or More If The Limit Was More.

I was up that way today, Dave, but didn't have nearly the luck you had. I saw one hare shortly after leaving my truck and took it with a long shot through thick brush with my .22 pistol, but after that I did not see another hare all day. Lots of tracks, but nothing in sight. The snow was really crunchy and loud today, so I'm sure that affected things. I suppose I'll have to keep looking. I really want to find a place that will be nearly a sure thing for my 8 year old nephew, but I haven't found it yet.

hey brian, try the beach lake area
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    hey brian, try the beach lake area
    I thought the beach lake area was closed to hunting. ???

The park area is, but right outside the park is open, about an 800 foot walk to the west of the lake. It's bow, air rifle and shotgun only though.
    Chris Willhoite

Quote Originally Posted by chrisWillh View Post
    The park area is, but right outside the park is open, about an 800 foot walk to the west of the lake. It's bow, air rifle and shotgun only though.
    Thanks for the info. I may try that out sometime, but it won't really work for what I'm focusing on now - helping my 8 year old nephew hunt hares with his .22 Thanks for the tip, though. Perhaps I need to take my bow for a walk after work someday this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    No problem. That's one of the areas that was suggested to me when I started to look for small game, unfortunately I have no shotgun and I just started making my bow. Still looking for a good spot for hare and birds and a reliable hunting buddy.
    Chris Willhoite