Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASSA wants to raise your registration fee. Do you agree???

Default ASSA wants to raise your registration fee. Do you agree???

Did anyone see the October issue of Snowrider magazine page 4 and 17? It appears Kevin Hite has written a letter to Gov. Sara Palin and suggested that the state charge more money for snowmobile registrations.

My question is, who did Mr. Hite contact in the snowmobile community before has submitted this letter?

I would like to hear from organized clubs state wide on this topic.

Please P.M. with your club name, your name, your position in the club, whether your club was informed & your feelings about the increase.

THANK YOU!
    COS

I missed the article--I'll go read it online--but I take from your post you see a registration fee increase as a bad thing.

My 2 cents? It depends on where that extra money is going. Kevin's a pretty bright guy and tireless advocate of keping public lands open to snowmachines SO, If he's pushing for an increase I'm probably in agreement.

Our current registration scheme is a joke. It's largely voluntary, and you pay what...20 bucks every other year, which barely covers the cost of printing the decals.

If a fee increase translates into dedicated funds for more and better trails and/or more and better political "stroke" for snowmachiners (as a function of "He who pays...says") then I vote yes.

you are supposed to register these things??...WOW

Default General Fund.

I could be mistaken on this, but I believe fees must go into the general fund not dedicated use.

Also, if memory serves me correctly, the mandatory registration was fought because of fears of an increase down the road. Users felt it was a sort of tax. It largely won because to get federal funding (grants, etc.) for trails, we had to prove how many snowmobiles are in the State. The registration was then enacted and we now get Federal funding for trails.

Personally, I liked the registration for the reason it was created but knew fees would increase as is always the case. Once a fee or tax is established, it will be increased. This is the American way.

I would like to know more about this proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    you are supposed to register these things??...WOW
    Yep. Mine has NEVER been registered in my name. I bought it off a guy who wasn't the owner so I couldn't ever get it into my name. I bought it from an old man who was selling it for his friend who retired and moved to Texas, so dmv wouldn't accept the bill of sale.

Agree with Itsryd; once a fee is established it doesn't ususally decrease. Look at the fist fight in Anchortown to scrap the IM program and there hasn't been a clean air violation in 11 years!

Tim

Default Go figure

well Alaska is the ultimate welfare state (everybody wants something but doesn't want to pay a dime for it).........

I LOVE hearing people complain about taxes when they live here at a net profit with a family of PFDs

taxes are EVIL ...unless they're a tax on the oil companies (with which I have absolutely NO affiliation)

I'm betting this issue will follow the boat registration and launch fee formula.....

The bigger and more expensive a person's boat the louder they'll ***** about it ..........

Default Stay on the topic

Letís not get off topic here. I would like to know from organized club members if they heard from Mr. Hite about his idea to increase. I am a member of three clubs and I can tell you we heard nothing! I joined clubs to support a sport I love. I thought ASSA was the Big Brother of our tiny clubs and with them we had a voice.

As far as registering your snow machineÖitís the law. Whether itís a good law or not is for another tread.

Exclamation Please help!

Please Note!
    All registration fees go to trail grooming and equipment . Also surveys to put trails into and keep trails in public hands. Also signs & kiosk to help with safety info on the trails. 2yrs. ago the grooming pool maxed out being you are only paying $5 year. And only about 40 percent are registerd! The Willow Trail Comm. is hoping all riders will help out and make Alaska's trail system grow into one of best anywhere. As being one of the forunning areas in grooming and getting trails dedicated into pubic hands cost are going up!!! And more people are using the trails we now have. We all need to help and $10 a year is nothing compared the cost of machines and money to maintain them !!!
    Help yourself out get behind him!!!!

So do we currently have to register our sleds at our local alaska dmv???

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong...but I thought the registation (decal) was only required if you intended to ride in state parks/rec areas and NF lands?

All sled's in the state are suppose to be registered, regardless of where you ride.

Registration fees go to the state's "general fund" as required by the state. The state legislature has in the past allotted X amount of $ to go to the SnoTrak committee overseen by state Parks and supposedly for grant trail work. The X is suppose to represent the # of registered sleds (determined by DMV) and the amount of $ is suppose to represent the monies collected for said registration.

My question, why is State Parks allowed to apply for and receive snowmobile registration monies to use on work that they should do anyway i.e. trails within state parks. If they need more $ shouldn't they get it during the annual state budget process ? State Park received over 60% of the SnoTrak funds last round.. !!

Thumbs up Registration is mandatory and helps!

It is mandatory to register.

If in fact the increased fees will go towards establishing and maintaining trails, and not supporting Matt. Maid, (sorry, had to throw that in), I am completely for it. The snowmobile clubs have been instrumental in establishing public trails. More support is needed.

I believe until recently, local clubs had to apply for grants to help establish and maintain trails. Now, the "money Pot" is divided up by number of sleds registered in your area and not grants applied for. The more registrations in your area, the more money your area will get. Those that are more knowledgeable on this can verify, please.

Preserving and establishing trails for public use is a battle that will only become harder as the anti's become more united. If you enjoy the use of these trails by snowmobile or atv's, register your sleds. I get tired of hearing crying from users about more restrictions put on us and then they don't do anything to help. If you are not going to join a club, become a board member at the very least register, so those that are trying to make a difference will have the funds to move forward.

So reading what I have, and knowing what I know, if the increase will go to the establishment and maintaing of public use trails it has my full support.

(quote)I believe until recently, local clubs had to apply for grants to help establish and maintain trails. Now, the "money Pot" is divided up by number of sleds registered in your area and not grants applied for. The more registrations in your area, the more money your area will get.(/quote)

Wish this were true, unfortunately it's not. Club still have to apply for grants to get any $ for trail work. Check out the DNR web site to verify this for yourself. http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/grants/snowmotr.htm

I fully supported the registration point of sale originally, but have since seen the promises made as to how it would go and be used broken. Locally the local gov't is starting to get some trail work done (an dfully support their action) to ID and designate trails, but they have limited funding and aren't, at least not at this time, getting funding from Registration funds for that.

I have no problem paying registration fees, but, before the cost to sledders are increased, get the other trail users to pay up as well. If all the trail users had a similar fee and we all paid our fair share then I'd say yes to an increase, but not when the only ones paying are motorized users and much of our $ is spent on non-motorized trail work.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Please Note!

All registration fees go to trail grooming and equipment . Also surveys to put trails into and keep trails in public hands. Also signs & kiosk to help with safety info on the trails. 2yrs. ago the grooming pool maxed out being you are only paying $5 year. And only about 40 percent are registerd! The Willow Trail Comm. is hoping all riders will help out and make Alaska's trail system grow into one of best anywhere. As being one of the forunning areas in grooming and getting trails dedicated into pubic hands cost are going up!!! And more people are using the trails we now have. We all need to help and $10 a year is nothing compared the cost of machines and money to maintain them !!!

Help yourself out get behind him!!!!
    From the looks of your Avatar you might be getting some of that money. But I'm not, nor do I want any! Nor do I want to pay 5 or ten dollars to the state so you can pull trail groomers around. If you want a trail system like in Wisconsin move to Wisconsin. Since only 40% are registered then the majority of snowmachine owners may not agree with you or Mr. Hite. At any rate he should not be writing the Governor representing others with out their authorization. Which is what this thread is about; whether he contacted other organized clubs before he goes to the Governor. I would like to see these taxes abolished all together!

Quote Originally Posted by bearqst View Post
    All sled's in the state are suppose to be registered, regardless of where you ride.
    Not required on private property.

Default I'll have to look more into it.

Bearqst,

Our local club was informed we can apply, (not a grant), for funding for trail grooming. The amount is based on the number of machines registered in the area.

I do hate to see fees (taxes in most cases) keep going up. I do know they use the registration numbers to base money distribution on. Read most any snowmobile mag. and they get there facts and figures from registrations. Again I believe in the reason, I just don't want to get taken advantage of.

Hopefully someone with all the facts and figures can help us out here.

Quote Originally Posted by ltsryd View Post
    It is mandatory to register.

If in fact the increased fees will go towards establishing and maintaining trails, and not supporting Matt. Maid, (sorry, had to throw that in), I am completely for it. The snowmobile clubs have been instrumental in establishing public trails. More support is needed.

I believe until recently, local clubs had to apply for grants to help establish and maintain trails. Now, the "money Pot" is divided up by number of sleds registered in your area and not grants applied for. The more registrations in your area, the more money your area will get. Those that are more knowledgeable on this can verify, please.

Preserving and establishing trails for public use is a battle that will only become harder as the anti's become more united. If you enjoy the use of these trails by snowmobile or atv's, register your sleds. I get tired of hearing crying from users about more restrictions put on us and then they don't do anything to help. If you are not going to join a club, become a board member at the very least register, so those that are trying to make a difference will have the funds to move forward.

So reading what I have, and knowing what I know, if the increase will go to the establishment and maintaing of public use trails it has my full support.
    Good theory, But you forget that government is involved. Nothing is stopping you from paying in 500 dollars but don't tell the rest of the world that they should too

Default groomed trails?

Where the heck are those?

ltsryd, what process, by what means ? If so, then shouldn't all the different clubs be informed. Or is this something special that only certain areas can get.

If the state is giving funds to local areas for trail development/maintenance (by simply asking for and not having to apply for via the states grant process) then that is something that should be front page news.

I'm pretty active in our local club, we were never informed about Kevin's article (before it got printed) nor were we asked about our opinion on an increase, nor have we been approached about the process to receive funds other than the grant process.

Default What I found out today.

Bearqst,

I had the opportuntity to talk with one of the board members from our local club. He said he was aware of the letter for higher registration fees. This is the response I was given....

A percentage of the original registration fee was put back out for "trails". However, as is the case so many times, the fees brought in started to get grabbed up for "other stuff" (goverment, go figure?). What is being attempted now is they are wanting to get the original percentage that was suppose to go to "trails" re-established and then raise the registration fees. That is all I have heard at this time but I am going to continue to look into it.....

As for you being active on your club and never heard about it, well..
    try this on. My wife is on the board for our club and never heard about it. I had to first read about it on this site. Needless to say I'm a bit disapointed in a select few of our board members for not letting at least other board members know. So I feel your pain, believe me. I also am very active in our club and strongly support trail establishment.

As for the process for getting the funds, I will ask someone much more knowledgeable than I, (my wife) to get that info for you. It is new this year. I was told it was to make it easier for clubs to get the funds. I believe you still have to apply but it is not like appling for a grant. If you have ever done that, then you know how much work is involved. We can't seem to get anybody here to help us write a grant.

Now, as for the other users that question the registration. If you never park at a trailhead, never use a groomed trail, never use a cleared trail, do not care if the anti's shut down public areas to motorized activities, and enjoy more restrictions forced upon us then I believe you have a legitimate argument for not registering.

Someone much more intelectual than myself has put it in writing in the December issue of SNOW TECH magazine. You'll find it on the Editor's Page. I highly recommend you read it and then come at me with your input. If you are not able to find a copy, let me know and I will see if it's possible to get the page to you. It is something every motorized user should read.

There was a time in my life where I didn't care about little laws, saw them as a nuisance. I just figured someone else will deal with the problem. I'm a free man with a free spirit and if they shut some area down in the lower 48, who cares. I'm an Alaskan with lots of land to roam...... Hell, I'll just ride somewhere else if they ever shut down the areas around the big city. Well, I'm getting older and realize now that things are shutting down fast. I let the other guys do all the work while I played. I guess I realize that if I don't help in someway my kids will be riding on a designated track and not the public land I did. So read the page and then get back to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast