Thread: First Catch of The Season

Default First Catch of The Season

Got this Female Mink today when i went to check the traps. Some how it got into the box without setting off the trap and then ate the bait in the box and got caught on the way out. Don't know how that happened. In the first pic thats what i saw when i walked up to the box. Just Happy to see i caught it though. After skining/fleshing the mink, i was suprised to see how much fat they have, was wondering what everyone else uses to flesh them. I used a butter knife and it work alright but, thought there might be a better tool to use that someone would know of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pictures 07 018.jpg   Pictures 07 020.jpg  

Nice catch, its better to get them coming back out then not at all!

thats a neat picture with him coming out of the trap. good luck this winter

Nice looking mink. With the triggers bent like that,that mink slinked right under ans then got nailed on the way out. I have had marten do that to me before. Try a little more of a horseshoe shape on the triggers with one end of the horeshoe bent inward.

Default Trigger kits

I put trigger kits on my 110's because i had several slip in and out. This would be especially useful since you are using 120's. They are harder to fire. The kits are merely a wire with to small coils on each end you pinch on with pliers. I have never had one get in since.

I had the trigger towards the bottom of the box with the prongs pointing up because i had some ermine getting trough and stealing bait. I'll try the horseshoe shape on the triggers with one end of the horeshoe bent inward and see it works, thanks for the suggestion.

Default my first catch...ever

my first catch ever was also a mink this morning...since its the first animal i have ever trapped i want to mount it...any suggestions on taxidermists around anchorage...mine was also caught on the way out
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Default Congrats!!!

Caught my first, second and third mink over the weekend. Caught them on flower pot pole sets I was setting for Marten. Apparently mink climb trees as well. Had them set at least 4 ft off the ground.

Heres a pic of my weekends catch, I was 4 for 4 on my sets. Got a good size marten as well. I set my triggers like a upside down field goal post.

Do what Trapperbob says and you won't be dissapointed. I have bent my triggers in a "Y" and tied heavy monofilament line between the two legs of the "Y" and it has worked very well. The mink fire the trap when they try to get through the "Y" between the wires and the mono or when the bump the mono going under.

Mac

Thats a nice lookin mink