Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: so everyone but me is getting them bunnies at knick

Default so everyone but me is getting them bunnies at knick

Headed out this morning to Knik to try and bag some rabbits. Only a couple thousand people parked out there. Walked in and thought some folks were shooting clays as there were so many shots. walked about a half hour and met the fellows that I thought were shooting clays. Turned out the four of them were actually shooting rabbits!! Each one of them had several and they didn't seem to be having any trouble finding them.
    I, on the other had, saw the only rabbit of the day while talking with one of the rabbit-slayers. This rabbit seemed intent on breaking the land-speed record

Anyways, definitely some rabbits out there. Get out and get em' guys!!!

Jon

i was thinking the same thing for the first 4 hours that i was out today. i can't say how many shots i heard, but it was a ton. i was starting to get down on my self, and about to walk out when i jumped one. then another. then another. man it made my day.

keep after 'em, you'll get some.

Oh I'm not giving up by any means, plan on heading back out again Sunday morning.
    Maybe I won't completely walk past them this time.

good to hear you connnected a couple times.

Jon

If I was as good a shot as I was at finding them I would limit out the first hour of my last three trips. As it is I get a couple and blow a bunch of holes in the ground. My friends love hunting with me I jump them and miss my shot so the rabbit cuts across their lane and blamo another bunny in their pack! I am getting better I was batting 33%(shooting versus hitting) last time I went out and that beats the 0 for 12 that I started the season with. Oh thats ZERO bunnies for 12 trips!! Stick with it lately I have been finding them in thinner cover near thick alder patches. There are 0 tracks in open fields but if there are some alders (about every 5 feet) with grass it is easier to see them when they pause about 25 yards out. They seem to get most of their natural predation from the air and without some alder cover they are totally exposed. I have not found any rabbits in the cottonwood groves either and they are tempting cause the walking is much easier. If you are ten feet out of the grass under the cottonwoods you won't see much. Good luck and I will let you know what I see tomorrow, since I am taking my cousin out in the morning.

Default What gun?

What guns are you guys using? I am going to be up in palmer tomorrow I figured I might as well give it a shot.

If I really really want to get a rabbit my 870 12 guage with 7 shot is a good bet. I hunt mostly with a 20 guage side by side using 5 and 6 shot. Latley been scoring using a 17hmr.

We have had success with .22s, 12 guages, 20 guages, and AR 15s. I use a mossberg 12 w/ 28" barrel but a shorter barrel would probably be a better choice. I have only shot one at a range where I think the 28" proved benificial. I like the shotguns and just blast away at them running trying to lead them and catch em in the edge of the pattern. Plus I don't hesitate to shoot through grass/light brush. My cousin and I are heading out tomorrow I think he is taking a 10/22 so I will tell you who is more successful. The AR is a blast my friend has it set up with a eo tech red dot sight and the terminal ballistics on bunnies is disturbing.

Rimfiremat- have you tried #6 in the 12 guage? I seem to get less pelets in the meat. Of the few pelets that have hit the meat all but one have passed through

okay thats what i was thinking. still not sure wether i'll grab the 22 or the 12 gauge though. It sounds like the 12 gauge may be the way to go unless i can get them sitting with my bolt 22 that will shoot good groups out to 100 or as far as i can compensate for the drop

I'm a .22 fan. I guess I like the challenge of threading that needle through all the brush. It is frustrating though when the bunnies run 100 yds before stopping. Usually when I kick them up, they will stop after 15-20 yds and I can try my ninja style stalk on them .
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I dont think I have tried #6 lujon. I havent hunted with the old 12 for awhile. Its such an effective guage I just grab whatever. I must have 50 shells of who knows what in a big ziploc bag. I Just reach in and load up! My buddy uses his leftover duck loads.

Im not sure what my buddy was using for shot in his 12 guage the other day, but after cleaning them rabbits, I would have guessed they died from shock not bb's cause I didnt find any.

Yeah the 223 is pretty much a blower upper round for rabbits. I was doing some predator calling one day, I jumped a rabbit and took a shot with my AR, poof! some hair and some guts was all that was left. I aint rolling that no more.

.22 vs 12 guage
    I don't know how to talle the score up exactly but I had five in my pack and my cousing had 4. His first one had some of my pellets in it but he backed me up and rolled it with the .22. Point him I get the assist. Next two were mine clean. Then he jumped one so close he never aimed just started shooting and picked it off on the run with the second or third shot. I think we are even at that point. We had a couple jump but never present a good shot. My cousin picked up another as we moved to a different thicket. Hmm. .22 three, 12 guage 2! He was gloating and smiling. For about 15 minutes then it was me 4 him 3. We started working our way out of the woods and I stole one from him to take a bigger lead. The rabbit was in a clear lane for him and a decent shooting lane for me. He had missed one earlier when he fumbled the safety on the 10/22 and I wasn't gonna let another one get away so I snapped the shot off before he had a chance. Should have let him take the shot but oh well it's not like he called it. I was at limit so I started playing beagle. Managed to kick one up for him and I think he hit it but I KNOW I "backed him up". I am going to call him and find out what the verdict is on that last bunny. In the end we had a blast and I hit 7 bunnies 2 of which went into his pack. He hit 3 for sure and looked good for the fourth. We have both been hunting our whole lives in the valley and are comparable marksman so this nonscientific study gives the nod to the 12 guage. The important thing is that we had fun and didn't have any questionable shots we harvested every rabbit we shot at. I will give the nod to the .22 for the reduced chance of losing an injured rabbit. We found one dead rabbit hiding under a bush that had obviously been shot earlier in the morning or yesterday evening and was not recovered.

Default The 12 gauge worked great

Well they are out there. I got 5 for 5 shots in about 20 min at dusk. The only problem i have with it is that it was almost un sporting. At dusk they stuck out like a sore thumb so I did not jump one I just walked into the think stuff and kept my eyes open for white. But on the other hand I was shooting through the thick stuff so of the 5 shots maybe 1 22 round would have made it through. Also i went both ways up to jim creek and found that since the knik is low it was faster to go from the bridge and follow the river edge up to jim creek. I was also driving a stock f150 and i made it everywhere i needed to go. I will be going back up tomorrow and have room if anybody wants to ride along and see if we can find them again.

i was planning on going with my buddy tomorrow, but he got stuck with a honneydo list instead. i'll pm you

Default At Knik?

I moved up about a year and a half ago, and haven't spent much time in the Palmer area - are we talking about in the area of the Knik Glacier? How's the access to the area? Thanks,

ff

Default Past jim creek on he knik

Where i hunted today was up the knik past jim creek. The best way i think is to go from the bridge and just stay on the edge of the river till jim creek then follow a 4 wheeler through and start hunting one of the thousands of brush areas. Like i said before my truck is nothing more than a street truck and i had no problems. I found that if you stay down by the river right when you get off the road it is smoth and i was crusing like 35 so you get there quick. And since it is shallow you can go all the way to jim and only get your tires wet a couple times

Is this a easy hunt for kids? I would love to take the wife and kids out for a quick trip. Just the wheelin would be fun! What time are you heading out?

Im not sure how easy it would be for kids. Every other person seems to have ben dealing with running rabbits all mine sat there waiting for me to shoot them. as far as that get some input from others i dont have much expirence at all. I am going out about 10 tomorrow i guess.

It isn't a bad hunt for kids, especially with the white rabbits and no snow! We got 19 today between 4 hunters. Not a bad day. Anyone have a good recipe for rabbits??
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I walked all day for my limit today in thick brush. If you got yours in 20 minutess you are in better hunting than me! My oldest is 5 and not ready to do any gunning yet but he loves to go with me. The flats are just too hard for him to walk and he can't go out all day. I am trying to ease the wife into bunny hunting but she is having a hard time associating them with food. She is good with grouse and all the big game critters but "bunnies are cute". I got her a 20 guage so we will see. I am just trying to figure out how the terain you were hunting is. Hills, devils club, sticker bushes, or other things that would make a kid not have fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast