Thread: Shipping Firearms

Cool Shipping Firearms

What is the law about shipping firearms through the mail? Can I ship a firearm through the mail to myself in care of another person? Thanks for any help.

I believe that you can only ship long guns through the USPS to yourself. Hand guns require a FFL. I just shipped a rifle to myself, down to Montana with no issues.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

just a heads up it is leagal for you to ship a long gun to yourself. The post office rates have gone way up. It is much cheaper to ship through fedex ground. Dont forget to insure it as well.

You can find all this info on the ATF website.

Will I need a FFL to ship through fedex ground or can I still ship it to myself using fedex ground.

no FFl needed to ship to yourself.

I sent my rifle to Kentucky for my brother to repair in the spring of 07. I went thru the UPS store on Tudor in Anchorage. They told me I had to use the USPS and send it to a business on the other end. So I bought a firearm box from UPS and packed the rifle put the address on it and the UPS store took care of the rest. My brother had a business to send it to and he sent it to my business on the return. They told me UPS and Fed ex would not ship firearms maybe they were mistaken about Fed Ex ground. Hope this helps

I have sent many firearms through fedex ground, but never fedex express so cant vouch for them. Just sent out a gun to the smith today through fedex ground and it was a piece of cake.

I hold an FFL. The post office will ship longguns from you to you or to a FFL holder. UPS and FedEx will also ship all guns. UPS Stores make up their own rules and ship only what they want to. The one in Soldotna will not ship guns.

Casper is right, FEDEX express does ship firearms. I would think it would be easier to just ship through fedex/ups then to mess with usps.

Jon

If you ship it to yourself in care of another person, just make sure that person DOES NOT open the package.

Default Shipping

I sent my Mdl. 700 from Anchorage, to a company called Black Ice Coatings in Utah to have it teflon coated before moose season this year. I sent it to him using Fed-EX Ground and no FFL was required due to having it shipped to a gun smith and him sending it back to the owner.

Default Shipping firearms

Most UPS stores and drop off sites tack on a surcharge to the "true" UPS and FEDEX rate, the cheapest rate can be found online, I personally drop items off at UPS and FEDEX at the airport here in Anchorage, I have only shipped a handgun via fedex, and they needed a copy of the FFL holder that I was sending it to, it also had to be shipped overnight, which was a little spendy. I have shipped many rifles via USPS, and although the rates have gone up they don't seem that bad, 20-35$ on average for what I've shipped out of state via USPS. The airport post office gave me no hassle about shipping a rifle, just asked if it had any ammo in the box and if it was unloaded. The guy at the counter over on Lake Otis had a fit with me one time when I tried shipping a rifle. He told me that it was not legal to do so, had to get his supervisor out to straighten things out. Some folks have no clue, and flip out when they hear that there is a weapon in the package, if they don't ask, I don't tell.... Of course you have to indicate contents with UPS and FEDEX. Chris...

It cost me 13.00 to ship my .06 with fedex ground. hard to get much cheaper

Default Ship to yourself?

Just for clarification - how does one ship a firearm to themselves?

If you live here in AK and plan to ship firearms outside, who will hold them until you are there to receive? What address do you use (family, friend)?

Sorry for the sidetrack but I do believe this is still on topic.

Put your name in the to address with your relative's or whomever's address below.

Default Shipping Guns

Here's a though what about shipping Parts?? What if you take the gun apart and put it in separate boxes??
    Even rifles.. take the stock off, one box, barrel/action, another box, and the trigger/bolt in another box..

Whichever box has the receiver that is the box that is considered a firearm. Per BATF.

I used Fed Ex once. Won't do that again. I now use the USPS only. Only trouble I have ever had was in Dallas Texas. The Post Master did not know the postal regs and refused to ship for me. So I asked to speak to her supervisor. We kept going up till we found someone that did know the regs and the guns were shipped. I ship four or five times a year, either to the manufactor or myself. Long guns only. Pistols need to be shipped to an FFL.