Thread: Cordova Brown Bear Hunt

Default Cordova Brown Bear Hunt

I'm interested in putting together a brown bear hunt in the Cordova area my (out of state) mother and I. We are not interested in being guided for the hunt and it is not required with my resident status for the past 20 years.

We tried to get a hunt together a couple years ago and my dad's heart attack put a stop to my mom's ability to travel at that time. Back to the planning stages again now and we are looking at hunting next fall. She's a very capable and experienced hunter with a large black bear and a B&C Mountiain Lion on her walls. Although she keeps herself in great shape running a horse ranch, I doubt she is up to the rigors of climbing the mountains to hunt the high country, hence the intent of hunting over a salmon stream.

I'm looking for information on water ways that will have bears on salmon and the best time of year (September? October?) to hunt them. Any suggestions for transporters to contact would be appreciated too.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas you can post or PM to me to get things rolling.

Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

might wanna think late may, bears should be down on the beaches more than they are in the fall...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

There are some good fall options for you in 6-b east of Cordova; there are a couple of forest service cabins with good access to spawning streams. Dave at Cordova Air can help you out. Also some good hunting off the road system in 6-C during Sept. It is pretty thick country, and you should be prepared for wet, windy weather. Plan on taking a raft to help get around if you fly out, and living in hipboots for the duration! Good hunting.

Hard to go wrong, just along the highway to the Million Dollar Bridge. I watched a guy shoot one right off the side of the road, between town and the airport. Lot's of side roads to check out, just watch out for land use restrictions.

The easiest brown bear hunts are boat based, and mostly in S.E. Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Hard to go wrong, just along the highway to the Million Dollar Bridge. I watched a guy shoot one right off the side of the road, between town and the airport. Lot's of side roads to check out, just watch out for land use restrictions.

The easiest brown bear hunts are boat based, and mostly in S.E. Alaska.
    Floating Clear Creek (Talkeetna's) in July might be worth considering.

upper clear creek is all private land and they have someone watching it for trespassers as well,(tried that one..!lol) lower creek might work but pretty brushy and gets some heavy activity with jet boats and king fishing.but there are bears down there!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    Floating Clear Creek (Talkeetna's) in July might be worth considering.
    Looked into the Talkeetnas the last time around. Had pretty much decided against Clear Creek for the same reasons BRWNBR noted. I'm also told the bears on the lower portion of the stream get real nocturnal with all the boat traffic. Other Talkeetna streams were a possibility but I opted out of the ones I had considered as I did not want to step on the toes of others that were using the area in the guiding business. Yeah I know, guides don't own the wilderness, but when your talking about hunting a little salmon stream there is little room to share and I'd prefer to not do that to anyone - the guide, the clients, or ourselves. BRWNBR's recent Kodiak experience comes to mind. It's a big state and there has to be better options than to do that.

BrianW the road system hunt seems a little less of an Alaskan Wilderness type of hunt than I want to provide my mom, although I appreciate your ideas. She'll most likely never do another Alaska hunt and I want her to get the most out of the experience.

Thus far, I'm thinking the best ideas posted were by BRWNBR with the spring beach hunt and GroundPounder with 6B and Cordova Air.

Thanks for the input thus far. Any other thoughts out there?

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Carnivore- If you want a more wilderness experience; I would go with the 6-B plan. I am one of the guides operating out of Cordova, and the spring options west of Cordova that are water-accessable are pretty crowded. Darren Byler alone took 48 brown bear hunters in 6-D close to Cordova in May'06. Better to do a fly-out in Sept when the bears are on sockeyes, and most resident hunters are concentrated on moose.

Default 6D

I agree with not hunting 6D. The one guide was bragging on TV that a 6-7 foot brown bear was a good bear. I have 2 black bears over 7 feet. He is a really funny, funny guide.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Hmm?

48 brown bears hunters???? Don't see what's so *#!% funny about that. Think I would steer clear of that as well.. Better go east.

Quote Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
    Carnivore- Darren Byler alone took 48 brown bear hunters in 6-D close to Cordova in May'06. Better to do a fly-out in Sept when the bears are on sockeyes, and most resident hunters are concentrated on moose.
    Is this a guide or transporter? Either way it seems criminal to me. How long does it take for a brownie to reach trophy status? That is just greed pure and simple. I think guides should have quota's, one of the "master guides" I worked for had 12 guides in the field at one time. He did'nt give a S*@# about the clients success/satisfaction he already had their money a that point. Sorry for the rant but that just irks me. KK

double irk...
    Master guide 212