Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide Behavior Modification

Default Guide Behavior Modification

First off, I will declare again that I am a guide on the Kenai. I have been a Joe Fisherman for 30 years and have been guiding now for 3 years. When I hear the anti guide sentiment I sometimes have a hard time refuting it, because even though I am now a guide, I realize that some of the issues raised by non guides are simply true. I also realise that some of them are not. Here are a few of my observations, and my purpose for starting this thread is to get input from both the public and guides to try and set the behavior bar for all of us higher. The Kenai River should be a fishermans paradise, not a vodka fueled good old boys disneyland wardrobe contest. Let's start there. The Classic has become a symbol for what is wrong with the river, not what is right. The effect of the money it raises has now been negated by the eyebrows it raises. It's all about image, and it's not a good one in the eyes of the public. Sorry, I had to throw that one in. Now let me address the 3 biggest complaints I hear about us as a group. Number one without a doubt is the size of our group. Until this is addressed there are a few things we can all do to make the river a better experience. First off, we need to remember that not everyone has the experience or skill at boat operation and navigation up and down the river that we do. I have seen families launch at Eagle Rock and make it only as far as the top of the Crossover Hole before turning around and going home. That's about 400 yards! The problem is that there is no place to safely or comfortably get through all the boats to proceed down the river. The scenario repeats itself at Beaver Creek and Mud Island going downriver, and often times at Honeymoon Cove going up river. It is perceived as a guide boat problem, since most of the boats creating the jam have stickers. (Or Bullseyes) Here is our first opportunity to make things a little better. We, as guides, should all know the river well enough to leave a safe travel corridor available for safe passage for all boats. The unwritten rules of how to get through these few areas need to be followed by all of us. And we need to leave these travel lanes more open so its obvious to even the inexperienced. A few "maps" of these lanes could be easily posted at the launches and in the reg books and if you are caught fishing in them you should be tarred and feathered as a sign of your ignorance. The second biggest complaint I hear is that we stage up and "block the holes" before 6 am. I know that before i started guiding this made me furious and it still does. We need to stay the hell out of the way until about 555. The third biggest complaint I hear regards Sundays. You know, that day that was set aside so the locals could fish without banging boats with the guides. I see many of my fellow guides with a non stickered boat loaded with the same folks that now magically have become not their clients but their friends. This has gotten way out of hand. Ask any local about it and watch them start foaming at the mouth. If this practice isn't curbed soon I see the day coming when no guide can fish on Sunday, not even the ones who just want to enjoy a no stress day on the water with their families. To me it's simple. Once a client always a client. Many guides now are throwing Sunday in for free, (believe me it's priced in) and this needs to stop yesterday. If you have anyone in your boat that is in your log book you should be ashamed of yourself and fish and game needs to address this. I could go on but i won't. I truly hope this thread does not turn in to a bashing forum. That's too easy for any of us. I could start on what I have witnessed many lacals do too. Let's get some suggestions out there to improve what we have until the crowding issue can be addressed.

I fish Sundays every once in a while. I have never fished with a client on Sundays. I absolutely hate the proposal by KAFC that guides can only fish with family on Sundays. I don't really think it is that big of a problem but I could get on board with if a person is in your log book a guide cannot fish them on Sunday's, seems fair to me.

As far as hogging holes before 6, I really haven't seen that as a problem, most areas I fish at 6, mud island, crossover, pastures, I am usually there about 10 min to 6 and wait off to the side giving my morning speech then move in to line about 5 til, give or take a couple min. I know there are those that want guides to not leave the launches until 6 am. IMO, that will be a huge safety issue and there simply enough mooring space to tie up. This "issue" is one guides should be able to address on their own and self police. I know the issue is discussed in the guide academy so hopefully it will improve.
    Travel lanes, those can be a problem in the half hour before 6 during and probably the next hour or so. Again, education for all user groups, not just a guide problem.
    As far as guide numbers, I have posted in favor of limiting to a number around 250 or so, seems reasonable, down to that number through atrition. But, it does not good for crowding to limit guides and put more non-guide boats on the river, if the crowding issue is going to be address, it must be addressed in both usergroups. That being said, I continue to stress that this "issue" is during a few hours a day a couple weeks during July, most of the season there isn't a problem.

Default i disagree

Ok Yukon, thanks for the post. This is not just a guide problem, you and I both know that. But perception is everything and most perceive this differently than we do. As guides we MUST set a higher example of good behavior. We have very little control over what the other guy does or does not do. But we can control what we do. Believe me, the sunday thing is a huge issue with many. And the travel lanes can be plugged at anytime throughout the day..... not just in the morning but also on the tides, and even though it is just a problem for a few weeks it gets turned into another reason to vilify the guides. Do you think posting travel lanes would be helpful? By the way, I do respect your willingness to stick your neck out here on these forums. I have been hesitant to do so but the more I read the more I realise that my experience and opinions on the river are maybe of some value. I do not like the fact that we are considered by many as the lowest form of life on the peninsula. I know it comes with the turf. Maybe if i word my blogs carefully enough and behave exemplary enough while fishing I can do a small part to help change that image. It would be nice to get waved back at with more than one finger sometimes.

I guess I am not out there on Sunday's enough to see the big problem, the few Sunday's I am out there I see some guides, the ones I know and "run" with are usually out there with other guides. I do see some guys out there that I look at and wonder about. Enforcement, same as illegal guides the other 6 days of the week. Like I said and you suggested, if you are in the log book, you are a client for the entire season. I can support that. I don't like not being able to fish with a friend or another guide as proposed by KAFC.
    Posted travel lanes would be fine with me, but in the end it would really take Parks to "enforce" them by going to boats and ask them to move. The river has been close to getting "zoned" as far as methods and means, I could see where travel lanes will come into play. Again, I would rather see education over regulation in this. Personally, this past year I said something to a couple guides who were backtrolling right at the sonar counter and Eagle Rock. You just can't do that!!!! Those are dragging areas and if a guide backtrolls it, it makes us all look bad.

Tight spots? There are potentially many, but these three really stick out.

Mud Island for sure. Especially at low water and/or low tide when there isn't enough water to prevent rubbing a prop in the bypass slough on river left. It forces all the traffic thru the narrow spot between Mud and the grassy island on river left. Backtrollers already take up about 2/3 or more of the channel in this very productive fishing zone... doesn't leave much space for thru traffic. Oncoming boats travelling in opposite directions are practically kissing gunnel to gunnel, especially when the bite is on. I once hooked a hot tide fish there, and immediately pulled out of the pack toward river left to keep from disrupting other backtrollers below me. Fortunately the fish ran to the opposite side of the boat between us and the left bank.... WHEW! lucky break. I figured it was clear sailing as we drifted down with the fish.

Think again! As I fought that fish thru that narrow spot with a raised landing net in clear view and a high rod position to allow the hi-viz superline to indicate exactly where the fish was swimming, four boats travelling upriver in succession ran between my boat and the bank.... right on top of the fish!

Another tight spot during peak traffic is the Beaver Creek confluence. The customary travel lane is on river left. But in the busiest third/fourth week of July you've got guys on the left bank flipping for reds, backbouncers occupying river right out to at least mid-channel, and to the left of them are backtrollers trying to get the last piece of their Chicago/Upper Beav pass. There's basically only room for one boat to get by at a time. I personally approach this from the standpoint that the boat traveling downriver has the right of way since he has less control. Some folks don't seem to see it the same way. Compounding all of this is the fact that the river takes a 90 degree bend in this zone. Boats approaching from either side are often surprised by what's just around the corner.

The next tight spot upriver from there is the zone immediately upriver from Eagle Rock. The drag parade occupies river right along the island, and they also unavoidably occupy a mid-channel lane of upriver traffic to set up for the next drift. A small pack of backtrollers often occupies a productive run on river left, sometimes almost out as far as mid-channel. Again that leaves precious little space for downriver thru traffic. Now throw in a boat trying to pass thru with a big fish on, and you've got a real challenge.

How do you see these areas being handled?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default understood common sense practices might go a long way

An attempt to get everybody on the same page might help. These chokes are relatively small spaces. The obvious ones are well known. I think an educational sign at the pillars and at other launches, as well as an educational page in the reg book highlighting proper fishing and travel etiquette in these spots, might prove very helpful. It doesn't have to be a regulation, it just needs to be an accepted practice. If these were well known practices I don't think it would take long for us to see an improvement. It's a small and inexpensive way to educate a lot of people.

Great post gotfish.

In my opinion there is no reason for a guide to be on the River Sunday, for any reason. Sundays were origianlly set aside for non-guides, not guides that suddenly wear a different hat. A guide has too many other ample opportunities to take family and friends. His negative impacts to the River are already maximized. Plus the conflict of interest and chance for abuse is too great. Not fishing Sunday is just one of those things that should go along with being a guide. Don't like it, don't guide.

The Coast Guard Rules of the Road already clearly establish that river navigation channels can not be blocked or hindered. This rule is entirely abused on the Kenai River, to a point of safety. Clearing the navigation channel simply needs to be enforced.

Guides staging the holes prior to fishing time is a great concern. It negates much of the precious time set aside for privates to get their Kings and get off the River prior to the arrival of the guide armada. It's bad enough the privates succumb to an hour of 3-foot wakes as the armada sets out.

I also have concern for powerboats used as transportation during drift-only days and no fishing from boat days. I think if guides want to dump off loads of clients on the bank somewhere to fish reds, they should do it in a drift boat. What good is a drift boat day when you've still got to listen to the noise and fight the wake.

Reduced guide numbers. Not limit, but reduce. That's a given.

Cell phone communitcations should not be used as an advantage to corner sport fish. If anything it's an ethical issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post
    A guide has too many other ample opportunities to take family and friends.
    ??? ??? Too many? Ample?

If a guide already works 16 hour days the other days of the week, what other day of the week does he/she have to take a private non-stickered powerboat out to entertain family/friends?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Default thanks fnp

I represent no one but myself here. I want that to be clear. By learning what specifically bothers the world as a whole, about us as guides, is priceless information to have if we are serious about trying to improve both our image and the conditions on the river. I did not include the Monday power boat concern, but I agree that what you are saying is a common complaint. I think banning outboards altogether is unrealistic. It places hardship upon property owners accessing their property for one thing. But to not be able to use a power boat for any fishing related activities might fly. This should include transporting fishermen and their fish. As far as enforcing rules of the road goes, I agree enforcement is sorely lacking, but I believe the real problem is the gray area interpretation. Some rules of the road apply at all times, others are situationally based. Some of these chokes we are discussing fall into that gray area. Here is one example...... When coming up the river and moving thru the crossover at low tide almost all boats that still have a lower unit navigate way left of center. These type of area's, in my mind, need to be better understood by all boat operators and that includes a lot of guides. More people need to understand that when you are going upriver it is ALWAYS your responsibility to yield to any boat coming down river, even if it means stopping and waiting your turn at the gap. Thanks for your input.

Smile Problem, what problem. . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by gotfish? View Post
    . . . if we are serious about trying to improve both our image and the conditions on the river.
    I certainly respect and admire your candor, gotfish, but believe you're peeing into the wind. Your statement above, I'm afraid, pales in significance compared to the profitability of the commercial sportfishery. You're not even in the ballpark.

Money/fun—not image, not conditions, not the fish, and not habitat—is the bottom line as I see it. . .

Default and its blowing on all my friends

Marcus, I too appreciate your candor. And I have suffered the consequences of peeing in the wind before. But i disagree that I am not in the ballpark. Every once in awhile a David gets a blow in on a Goliath. Even if Goliath wins in the end David can sleep tight knowing that he put up a good fight.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes
    A guide has too many other ample opportunities to take family and friends.
    ??? ??? Too many? Ample?

If a guide already works 16 hour days the other days of the week, what other day of the week does he/she have to take a private non-stickered powerboat out to entertain family/friends?
    That's ridiculous fishNphysician.

Guides don't work 16 hour days. They can't. It's against the law. They can only guide 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. So they can take their family and friends out in their private boat any time before or after that...just like the privates do with their families and friends. Besides, if a guide can't set aside a little time during his 60 hours on the River each week, and he prioritizes taking money over his family and friends, that is his problem. A guide fishing the River 60 hours a week, every week, has a huge impact on the River and resource. He doesn't need to be out there on days set aside for the privates and locals to finally get a reprieve from the guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Grampyfishes View Post

Guides don't work 16 hour days. They can't. It's against the law.
    Oh really... that's news to me. The only rules against 16 hour work days only apply to minors (OK sometimes union labor). The on-the-water 6-6 shift is the only part of a guide's "glamorous" work day that the average Joe gets to see.

How about cleaning, filleting, and packaging the client's catch?

How about fueling, cleaning, and prepping the boat for the next day's adventure?

How about retying/repairing gear to replace the lost/broken stuff that the clients leave behind?

How about curing and preparing bait? Wrapping the next round of plugs?

Sheesh.. the list goes on....

A most astute veteran guide in the PNW is credited for this observation... "They say 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish... but most of those are caught the night before."
    The KeenEye MD

Get real FishNphysician. We're talking about time on the water. What a guide does off the water is irrelevant to the no-guide Sunday rule.

Guides have 24 hours/day, 6 days/week to take their family and friends fishing on the Kenai. They don't need to be "guiding" their family and friends on Sundays when privates and locals finally get a reprieve from all the guides.

If a guide prioritizes the details of guiding (making money) over taking his family and friends fishing, that is his problem.

BTW, tell your "astute veteran guides" there in Washington that preparing and prepping for clients isn't such a big deal here on the Kenai River. It's not rocket science, and many guides even hire it out.

Default KAFC proposal

The KAFC proposal tires to balance the two issues here. Guides can fish with their families on Sunday - they cannot fish with friends. That makes protection easy and the bull about guides need a day to fish with friends is just that - bull.

I have friends that are guides and they have called me and tell me they have an extra seat and would I like to go. The other clients do not know if I am paying or not. In June and early July the boats are not full for the most part. If you are flexible you can fish. As friends we have a great time out on the river and some of the clients are really fun to fish with. In fact, one of my daughters caught a bright 53 pound chinook on the last drift of the day when we were fishing with a couple from Oregon.

The real issue here is that guides are guiding on Sunday and no one can enforce the existing regulations - it is hard to prove someone is not a friend.

The bottom line - guiding on the Kenai is a commercial issue and as such commercial operations are regulated in a State Park. So if the guides want to fish with friends go to any other river on the Peninsula except the Kenai - go to salt water, go to the Mat/Su. Stay off the Kenai on Sunday with friends is a good idea for guide image and guides should support KAFC's proposal as a compromise. For if they push it they may find themselves in a deeper hole in the future.

Default Good Luck........

Trying to make it illegal for a person who guides on the Kenai to fish it as a private citizen on days that he's not working (guiding)......

I wish I could get a wager down on how that lawsuit will turn out........talk about easy money!!!!

I'm not a guide but I do on occaission fish with one (half a dozen times thus far in the 30+ years I've lived here).......

I absolutely do NOT understand the anti guide sentiment.......

Guides are safer boat operators (by in large) than the overall boating population on the river

They know how to run their boats and they know the river

Guides cannot drink while guiding and they are randomly drug tested.......

Thier boats and equipment are generally in better condition than that run of the mill boat on the river.........

It's pretty much a no brainer that they're going to have the proper safety equipment on board

The guides I know get out there on the river a few minutes before it's legal to fish......... that's the way it should be

Guides are the mass transit of the Kenai River.......

They are the most ecologically freindly and economical way to fish.....

For the life of me I cannot understand how boat owners have come to be "the common man" and somebody who rents a spot at a fraction of the cost of boat ownership costs are cast as "elite".........

It's time to turn this arguement around for what it really is........... boat owners (which I have also been in the past and may be again in the future) trying to have the river to themselves.........

I advocate charging a user fee to ALL who want to exploite the limited King Salmon fishery.......... say $50 per person per day.........

That will limit the number of BOATS on the river which is the real "problem".......

It doesn't really matter if they're guide boats or boats owned by people who can afford such a luxury......

Default AKCheese - missed the point

AkCheese - no one is saying all guides should be off the river. Even Yukon says the number should be about 250. It is about social issues. The Sunday no guide limitation is generated by the guides who are fishing on Sunday with clients and calling them friends. Even other guides on this forum have said that is the case.

There is no problem with a law suit. They are commercial operators in a state park and as such can be treated as a different class.

One reason for the guided angler vs non-guided angler hour difference is that the BOF recognized that non-guided anglers are a different class of angler. They can allocate and did between these two classes of anglers to make the harvest more equal. That is why we have the hour limitations on guided anglers.

I believe one needs to separate the difference between an operator who provides a service and the guided angler. Whe we talk about angler allocations then the operator should not be a factor. When we talk about operators providing illegal services then we need to keep the discussion to how operators work.

AKCheese, does your pro-guide sentiment come from the fact you are some type of guide, or because your clients use them?....
    "My client wore RW this fall and he was soaked in mild rain" - AKCheese

Quote Originally Posted by AKCheese
    I absolutely do NOT understand the anti guide sentiment

That's easy. Many people are offended that guides are exploiting the already dwindled resources and environment commercially for a profit with no end in sight....while the private angler can't even find a place to drop his lines in or show his kid how to operate the boat.

Look no further than what has happened to the River since guides became the mascots and caretakers of it. Look no further than their leadership, and the agendas of Bob Penney, KRSA, and KRGA. I won't go on about the small details mentioned above like early staging, blocking navagation channels, etc.

Guides are safer boat operators (by in large) than the overall boating population on the river

While they might be more practiced (since they are always on the River), I would not say they are safer. For example I don't think I ever see a guide requiring a client to wear a PFD. Those things don't do much good under the seat. Also, they are oblivious to the size of wake they make for other smaller boats to deal with. I know visibiltiy is an issue for them trying to see over their clients heads when getting on step. Most don't carry paddles or oars for emergencies. Rules of the Road are thrown out the window.

They know how to run their boats and they know the river

Their props and skegs are as dinged and polished as anyone's. Maybe you mean they're good at follow the leader?

Guides cannot drink while guiding

Nobody can drink and operate a boat on the River.

Thier boats and equipment are generally in better condition

Their equipment is used and abused commercially. Their outboards have a lot of time on them, oil changes are infrequent, boats are repaired and welded on, trailer lights don't work, etc. Some do have fancy paint jobs though.

they're going to have the proper safety equipment on board

No more than anyone else is required to.

The guides I know get out there on the river a few minutes before it's legal to fish

Most are on the River running to the hole well before 6:00 am. Then they stage the hole before it's legal to fish.

Guides are the mass transit of the Kenai River

Exactly. They are also the mass wake-makers, mass hole-takers, and mass resource and habitat users.

They are the most ecologically freindly and economical way to fish.....

Sorry, but a guide, who's constantly on the River, has the most negative ecological impact. And a guide isn't economical for someone who doesn't need one.

BTW, increasing user fees $50 isn't going to limit boats on the River. It only makes it more expensive to use it.

AKCheese, the public isn't delusional. The guides have made their own bed.

You know i absolutely hate, and I mean hate, the KAFC sunday proposal. Grampy, 16 hr days for a guide are common, I figured you would know that there isn't a lot of extra time to fish. Nerka, it is pretty easy to have a friend jump into an open seat when available, but not everyone is retired and lives in the area and are that flexible. Some people work and have friends or family come from other parts of the state or out of state and their time is limited.

If there is a problem with guiding on Sunday's (not to mention the illegal guiding I see the other 5 days of the week) why not let a guide fish with a person who is logged into their log book. Guides write down the license number of the clients every day, if I guide is caught on Sunday or before or after 6 with a logged client then they get a ticket. The KAFC proposal really chaps my hide in IMO, draws a deep anti-guide line in the sand. If they really want to work with all groups they would withdraw that proposal. Heck, most of the guides that fish on Sunday's are out there with other guides. Just another way to put more boats on the river, now a guide and his wife or kid would have to take out a boat instead of jumping in a boat with another friend and family. Now instead of one boat with 4 or 5 you have two boats with 2 or 3. Good call there, that makes sense. It is just a plain bad proposal.

As far as powerboats on Mondays, do you just want to take guides off the river using powerboats on Mondays for transportation or is it all powerboats?
    It must be all powerboats because a non-guide powerboat still makes noise and a wake that disrupts the driftboats.

Default fail to see the issue

Yukon, you fail to see the issue on Sunday. It is about guides plain and simple. People are tired of putting up with guides and their issues - all of them - illegal guiding, competitive nature, running boats next to the bank, seeing guides who have treated them badly during the week, and all the rest. I left the river because some guides would purposely harass me if I was fishing because of my job with ADF&G. They are still out on the river today and frankly I do not want to see them or be around them. If the guide industry cleaned up its act then maybe proposals like KAFC would not be necessary. However, as gotfish pointed out the bad behavior continues and so the public wants a day from it. Plain and simple. Is it fair to a guide who does not do those things - maybe not - but life is not fair in commercial activities.

People would like one day to fish without the above. The KAFC proposal tries to balance the trade-offs. Frankly, I would like guides to be off the river for one day so the average fisherman can just fish -

Guides are a commercial activity and as such you cannot have it both ways. Want to take your friends fishing do it during the week - but you do not want to give up any money - that is your decision. There are other opportunities to fish in other places than the Kenai on Sunday.

Yukon, the log book idea is one approach but frankly it would be an enforcement nightmare. An enforcement officier would have to go through all the client lists to find a name - not practical with 300 guides on the river. It is much easier to check if someone is a father, son, daughter, brother.

You can get upset all you want but it frankly chaps my fanny that I cannot take my family out on the river any day because of the behavior of some guides - cutting me off when I run upstream, pushing me ut of holes, purposely trying to cut fish off - once when my daughter had her first chinook on - yelling at me with foul language when my folks were in the boat, driving close to me to rock my boat - everyday Yukon this happened. One day I picked up a club and was going to hurt a guide and that is when I said it had gotton out of hand - I put the club down and left the river - sold the boat and have not returned ( except for fishing with a guide friend once every two or three years since retirement). I do not take the family as they do not want to go on the river given their experiences with guides.

So Yukon, you give up a day with friends with the KAFC proposal. I gave up a season - maybe asking for one day without guides is not too much to ask - you think?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast