Thread: mount and scope mounting

Red face mount and scope mounting

I recently bought a model 700 SPS in a 300 Win.Mag. from a large box store, they offered to do the mounting for me as part of the price and promotion. The gun initially was shooting all over the place..I examined and re-tightened the rings and things settled down some and shoots tight...(for the time being). I would like a credible web-site that covers proper mounting..or should I send it to a good smith and have it re-done...any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Model 700-300 Win Mag.
    Bushnell 4200 Elite.
    Leupold mounts.

Boomer.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

You know, to tell you the truth I have always just put mine on myself and with not really all that much care. I just make sure the threaded holes are clean and dry, put the mounts on with some lock-tite (I use the red perminant, and you can get them back off in needed by heating them up with the tip of a soldering iron) and asemble the rings on the scope and again tighten them down and use lock-tite. The important thing is to make sure you get the reticle level and have the scope set for and aft in the right place to give you the correct eye relief with your head in the spot you prefer. This is something that only you can determine, and like so many things is predicated on your personal preference. That is why I prefer to do it myself. One other thing I may suggest, if you have low mount rings you may want to rotate the scope 90 deg to get that windage knob out of the way of the loading port on the action. I have done this on several of my rifles and it works just fine provided you have a standard reticle. Essentually, the normal windage knob is now on top and becomes the elevation knob and the elevation knob becomes the windage knob. Also, a couple times I have had to add shims under one mount or another to get enough elevation adjustment. Never had to do it on a Remington though. Some folks lap their scope rings with a special tool (you can get one thru Brownell's or Midway USA) and then adjust them with another special tool that looks like two rods with pointy ends that you place in each ring to adjust so as the two points line up. I have never really felt the need to do either, but I suppose if I were to set up a varnmint or bench gun I might look into it.

Long story short, do be afraid of it, it just aint that big of a deal. And the best way to determine if you have your for and aft adjustment correct is to really crouch down behind the thing at the range. be sure to let the stock sit a half inch or so off your shoulder and just barely hold on to the thing as you touch off that first round..............if you see stars and notice copious amounts of blood running down your face from the huge gash in your eyebrow then you will know its probably not adjusted right

At least thats how I figured out my -06 scope could have been just a tad bit further forward!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default scope mounts..

Thanks for the reply and good advice....I have had a small incident at the range,involving a small scope bite in the eye brow...lol...I will give her a try with the loctite...I have nothing to lose as hunting season is done for me anyways now...all tags full.

Boomer.

Default another alternative

You can avoid having to align the rings or lap the rings by using S&K rings and bases. They are very strong, light, self aligning, and steel. I have used them on several sheep rifles and over the years have been completely satisfied.

http://www.scopemounts.com/