Thread: Ice Fishing near Eagle River?

Default Ice Fishing near Eagle River?

Looking for someone to fish with around the Eagle River area. This is my first winter in AK, and am somewhat restricted on days available due to child care. Working on getting my hardwater equipment up here from Michigan, but looking for people and places. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fire Lake for pike
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mirror lake can be productive too. Im not sure if the pike have invaded it or not but the char and bow fishing used to be pretty good
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Beach Lake is close as well. Though I've never fished it, I understand that it can be decent for pan-size fish.

Hey there,
    I live in Chugiak, and mostly fish the mat-su, if your up for a little drive, I'd be happy to have someone fish with me. I usually like to target Big Lake for big char and Burbot. Send me a PM, if ya want to chat about any of the other places around here. Preety good spots around Eagle River, but only a few that have any sort of size.

-Ben

All of the local Eagle River Lakes are decent if you are looking for stockers. Fire Lake does not produce the pike it has in the past, but the pike are still in there. Just not in the quantity and size I used to see. I watched about 7 guys ice fishing Fire Lake this Thursday, and there appeared to be about 3 inches of ice when they were cutting holes.

If you want fish that are typically larger than 6-12 inches you'll have to travel outside of Anchorage. On occasion I have seen Beach Lake, Fire Lake, and Mirror lake produce 18"+ fish but it's not all that common.

Default I knew I could count on you guys!

Thanks to all that replied! It really is nice to have people go out of their way to help a guy out when he is new to the area!

Default Successful Day on the ice

I fished Beach Lake today for about 2 hours without a bite. I moved over to Mirror lake and couldn't get my hands inside a glove! Lots of tiny ones, every drop of the line. I quit putting eggs on, so I could dry / warm my hands and yet they still hit the empty jig head! Finally connected to a nice 17" at about 4:30. Had a blast though, thanks again for the tips.