Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new mud tires for kingquad

Question new mud tires for kingquad

i have a 05 suzuki kingquad 700 and i want to get new mud tires, but i don't want them to be too heavy, and i don't know alot about them so can anybody please give me some information on some tires
    Last edited by Lakay93; 11-22-2007 at 23:40. Reason: adding word

I bought a set of Mud Bugs for my Cat 500 last year and I couldn't be happier. They are only slightly heavier than a Mudlight but have much deeper lugs. They are definately a mud tire so they are grabby in the ruts and a little rough riding until you get up to 10 mph. They are also super tough in the rocks. I've driven them in some very sharp broken mountain rock and not even a nick in them.

I have ITP 589's on my foreman and 300 and have nothing but good things to say about em'.

What you need is a set of Mudlite tires, either 26"s or 27"s. I have a handful of friends that are running these tires on their machines and really like them. I have the 26" mudlites on my '07 King Quad 450 and it's a perfect match.

I'll second the Mudlights as well, very good tires for both trail and for mud.

Default Mudlites

I'd vote the Mudlite XTRs, super smooth riding, awesome lugs, and stiff sidewall. I have the 26"ers on my 07 Grizzly and love 'em.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have never really understood the big concern over weight? do you plan on carying a spare on your back? Your King already weighs in over 600......an extra 20 or 30 isnt going to slow you down much. I have 27" 589's on my King Quad and have no complaints, in fact they seam to wear very well and I have 800 plus miles on mine with only minor rounding on the very edges of the lugs. My buddies have mud lights on their machines and really like them as well. As far as which is more durable, I cant say, as they dont have as many miles on thiers as I have on mine, but they seem to be doing fine. My wifes King is running on stock rubber as it steers much better for her and truth be told I have only managed to get it stuck once when the big 589's would have made the difference.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I forgot to add, that if speed is a priority for you, be sure to stick with stock sizes....... I am not a go fast kind of guy, but was curious and out two kings flat out on the beach and the big 27 in tires cost me about 15 mph on the top end......... not a problem for a guy like me that rarely busts 15mph, but to some folks its a really big deal.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

The problem with the heavier tires is they rob your machine of power. I have a friend that has the exact same machine as I do and he has the 589's, he loves the tread and how they go through mud but hates how much they weigh and how they bog his machine down when the mud is really thick. He is sold on the MudLights and plans on buying them once his 589's wear down.

Mudlites suck IMO. They are much better than stock and cheap but that's about it. They also aren't all that much lighter than 589s which are a vastly superior tire.
    I made the mistake of putting 27" mudlite XLs on my Grizz last summer after wearing out my 589s after 4000 miles. The only good thing about the mudlites is they are wearing out so fast I'll be able to get rid of them next summer and go back to 589s.
    I guess if you're driving some underpowered machine like a honda you'll want to find the lightest tire possible though.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Mudlites suck IMO. They are much better than stock and cheap but that's about it. They also aren't all that much lighter than 589s which are a vastly superior tire.
    I made the mistake of putting 27" mudlite XLs on my Grizz last summer after wearing out my 589s after 4000 miles. The only good thing about the mudlites is they are wearing out so fast I'll be able to get rid of them next summer and go back to 589s.
    I guess if you're driving some underpowered machine like a honda you'll want to find the lightest tire possible though.
    Yep much better than stock but they are not cheap tires. The 589's are heavier by 4 lbs per tire at least and thats a lot.
    27x11x12 589's weigh 32 lbs, 27x12x12 weigh 28 lbs and they have a tad more rubber as far as diameter goes.
    You Honda haters are a gas, always telling us how they are so underpowered and wont go anywhere yet most of you have never owned one. Let us know how that works for you when that pos belt breaks on your might Grizz and your 30 miles from nowhere.....

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Yep much better than stock but they are not cheap tires. The 589's are heavier by 4 lbs per tire at least and thats a lot.
    27x11x12 589's weigh 32 lbs, 27x12x12 weigh 28 lbs and they have a tad more rubber as far as diameter goes.
    You Honda haters are a gas, always telling us how they are so underpowered and wont go anywhere yet most of you have never owned one. Let us know how that works for you when that pos belt breaks on your might Grizz and your 30 miles from nowhere.....
    The belts don't break and and they hardly even wear out on yamahas. 5000 miles on mine and it's still the same width as stock. But there are other things that go wrong on yamahas you could point out, just not the belt drive as it's pretty bulletproof.

Belts do break, I hear about them all the time and not hust on the Yamaha's. I have a couple of friends that ride Kodiak 400's and 1 of them has broken the same c/v joint 3 times and it happened once while he was riding with me and it seems that he is always having some kind of problem whenever he rides. The other guy is having issues with his machine not wanting to stay running once it's warmed up. In don't need a big bore for what I do with mine, so I'm happy with what I ride. If Honda didn't offer an atv then Yamaha was next in line but thankfully I don't have to worry about that.

Default Tires

Back on message, I went with MudBugs after doing a fair amount of research. My determination was that the Mudlites were not quite as good a mudder (but probably not enough for most of us to notice) but there seemed to be hard evidence (i.e. compound, etc) that they wore out much faster than the Mudbugs. All things being equal, with freight and replacement frequency, Mudbugs.

bwake- Your research matched mine. I bought my Mudbugs for all the same reasons you did. Still waiting for my belt to break

Smile Mudbugs

Bot, and they do dig; -What a difference this year!

Quote Originally Posted by bwake View Post
    Back on message, I went with MudBugs after doing a fair amount of research. My determination was that the Mudlites were not quite as good a mudder (but probably not enough for most of us to notice) but there seemed to be hard evidence (i.e. compound, etc) that they wore out much faster than the Mudbugs. All things being equal, with freight and replacement frequency, Mudbugs.

I tried `em, but can't say they are even remotely in the same ballfield as the Outlaw tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I tried `em, but can't say they are even remotely in the same ballfield as the Outlaw tires.
    outlaws are in a different league, made for hardcore mudders and give a crappy ride doing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by bwake View Post
    I find that hard to believe unless they were riding on pavement. I've got over 1000 miles on mine and they are far from being worn.

I've got a couple of friends with 800 Outies that are losing beads on their Mudlights nearly every time they go out. Anyone else have that problem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast