Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge kodiak brownie and to many hunters!

Default Huge kodiak brownie and to many hunters!

Well, i don't usually write stories in here and this ones complex but i'll try to dumb it down a bit so it makes some sense.
    Most of you know i'm a guide, and i had a client with a brown bear tag down the east side of kodiak this fall.
    The airtaxi i flew with had me scheduled the day the drawing results came out (they've flown me before and know where my camp is as well) well a little while before i fly down, another resident hunter and guide(buddy) call the air taxi and tell them they'd like to go out and hunt the same tag area but want to stay out of jakes "area", don't want to step on any toes. Very thoughtfull of them, the air taxi tells them they need to go where I am and just work things out. Keep in mind this is the smallest bay in the drawing area, less than one mile of beach, one tiny salmon stream all enclosed in private property that i have exclusive rights to. To top it all off, they fly in and camp 600 yards from the stream 2 full days before season opens.

Well, my hunter and i show up an there we sit, .5 miles apart staring at each other and one tiny little stream, that the bears have all but abandoned since there's been scent running up and down it for two days already. Long story short, they shoot a nine foot four bear on the secon day on its way to the creek right at dark, we watch thru the binos. Three days go by, we see lots of sows and cubs up high and one little bear, the weathers not good so the other hunter/guide dont' fly out. finally a plane buzzes the bay and leaves, thinking something may be wrong we hike over to the other camp to make sure things are ok.

Introductions are made and my hunter and the other guide actually have a hunt booked together next season and they we all knew this prior to this hunt. Turns out for three days the other two guys sat in their camp and watched three legal bears around us, twice within 300 yards, but due to the high grass we coudlnt' see them from our location and a big bear that they had seen all three days in a row up the valley behind our camp, again, out of sight from our location. When i asked why they never thought to come share any of this info with us, since they already felt they were stepping on my toes and the toes of his future client, his(the guide buddy) replies that he decided it was best to keep his scent in one location...WHAT?! They are less than 700 yards(flat grass terrian) from where we were glassing and woulda took less than 10 min to come tell us theres a bear over the hill behind you.
    Finally they flew out, the day they left we headed up over the valley wall to look for deer and saw the big bear they had seen, went up and were able to nail him in his bed. He squared ten foot six and was huge. But as my client stated, he woulda been happy with the 8'er they never mentioned to us.

I'm pretty fried about the whole deal, the lack of respect, the lack of caring that they dropped in knowing full well thats right where i'd be hunting, they even mentioned my name to the air taxi, goosed at the air taxi for telling them to go there and even more goosed at them for letting the air taxi talk them into it! Its not that i want the world to myself, but the least another hunter could do, that encroaches like this would be to help out, hey lets work some signals up since we're stuck here..or a hey theres a bear right over the hill 10 mintues ago...or we've seen a big one up there a couple days in a row. If i hadn't have gone over to make sure things were ok, we'd have never heard about the bear we got, the bears we missed or any of it.

So in closing, help each other out in the field, be sports about it all. you see hunters and you see game they might be able to get to, or your tagged out, help out. If we can't help each other in the field, how are we ever gonna help each other anywhere else?! You see a plane fly by and the hunters that are suppose to be on it, don't show, go take a look, have the other hunters back a little. Go a long way to making us hunters look just a little less selfish in the long run.

same pics as the photo thread but still neat to see.

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

DAM...thats a big bear.

nah it aint that big he just green screened him and his hunter into the pic smaller so the bear would look bigger. Photo shop is an incredible tool... good job leaving the purple sun spot on the third pic. That type of inperfection adds to to the pics credibility.

Default Great Bear

That is an awesome Brown Bear. Wish I could have been there to watch. I am impressed!

Default Sorry

Sorry to hear of the less than respectful behaviors of the competition you experienced Jake. Fine looking bear though.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Wow

Good post and what an incredible bear. A true giant. Congrats to you and your hunter!

I am glad in the end everything worked out for you and your client Jake. That is a fine looking brown bear not to mention HUGE!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    enclosed in private property that i have exclusive rights to.
    Seems like maybe your exclusive rights aren't so exclusive any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Seems like maybe your exclusive rights aren't so exclusive any longer.

the "other" guide/hunter must have been using the tidal lands rule........or like you said...........exclusive "rights" are not actually exclusive?

Default Beautiful!

Nice bear! Congrats all around!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

That bear is freaking huge. A true Kodiak giant right there.

Default Brwnbr

Did your client mention if he's going to do a life size mount? That would be quite impressive!

Good hunt Jake.

kingfisherktn

Default Awesome Bear

Great Job and Awesome bear. Everyone, comes to the great big state of Alaska looking for the remote hunt, and then you get this kind improachment on your exclusive land. Kind of hard to stay positive, but sounds you and you client made some lemon aide. Great Job

Terry

Default Nice Bear

Too many hunters? Wait until sheep season, dont think anyone will tell you that there is a legal ram behind camp though.

Default Outstanding Bear!

Very Impressive animal. Not many "true" ten footers are taken.

So to reply to your story.... You called the other guide a buddy. I would reconsider that if a airtaxi service can turn him against you.

You said you had exclusive rights on private property. I will assume by private property you mean native owned property? Does he have permission also from the native corp.? Is the whole bay native owned or only a portion and could he hunt legally on the part that is not. A guide tresspassing with his client is a crime. As someone else stated he could get away with it by only treading below mean high tide line, but where would he camp.

The airtaxi must not do much business with you..... or they do not cherish your business. I believe contacing another airtaxi might be in your best interest because they do not have your best interest at heart.

All the matters at the time is... Did your client have a good experience??

Two cents worth. Nice bear.

Thumbs up

Wow,
    Sensational bear! Thanks for the story and pics.

Sounds like you had the last laugh, Brwnbr.

Smile Thanks...

....for sharing Jake, great bear!

Default That's one gigantic bear!

Jake, congratualtions on guiding your client to that colossal kodiak bear!

Thanks for sharing the pictures with the forumn and if your client has a taxidermist do a life size mount of that monster, please post a picture!

Man Jake thats a dandy! Sucks to have dealt with what you described, been there done that, but at least your client got a great bear. Though it does tend to tarnish the experience though.

Great bear Jake, & great story!!
    LuJon wasn't the other guide was he ?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast