Thread: TC Contender Pistol

Default TC Contender Pistol

I've been thinking of buying a contender pistol lately. The main purpose of this pistol would be to always carry it in the day pack on fishing trips and general out and about trips. Basically times I do not want to take my rifle when chances are I won't see an animal and when hunting isn't the primary reason for the trip.

I would like two calibers. One for predators and one for bears and possibly moose. So the calibers I have been thinking about are .223 and maybe the 375 JDJ. The larger caliber is still up in the air.

I do have a few concerns. I have shot an encore rifle but I have never fired a contender or encore pistol. I have been told shooting one of these pistols is somewhat different than your typical wheel gun or semi-auto, and the adjustment can be challenging. Personally I can't say. Also I don't know if I should go with the Encore pistol instead and maybe use a barrel in the 308 or 30-06 or 500S&W. Another concern would be recoil. I don't need a hunting handgun that I am leery to shoot. I really do not want a handgun that hits harder than my 329PD.

I am just looking for some advice that will help me make an informed decision. Go easy I’m still learning.

Oh just buy the contender, as a matter of fact I have a contender frame (pistol) that I'm trying to sell. I know, its a shameless plug but give me a break.

Default Contender

I have a Contender and an Encore. The Encore is bigger, but the Contender in the calibers you are looking for is excellent. You can get some pretty potent calibers for the Contender, such as the .45-70, .375JDJ, etc. If all you are looking for is what you said, this is a fine gun to have. The recoil is a bit different, and yes, it is quite different than shooting a revolver. These are more accurately described as "hand-rifles" than a handgun. It is always best to shoot these from a rest or a bipod, but off-hand is easily done with practice. I have a .223, .35 Remington, a .22LR barrels for my Contender and I really enjot all of them. The .35 is the most accurate gun I have ever shot, and that says volumes for that caliber in the Contender.

I have a 10 inch barrel on my .22, and with the dot scope on it, I can do head shots on grouse and rabbits all day long. It doesn't miss. I do sometimes, tho.....

Get one and enjoy it. One thing you have to watch if you buy a used one is the older frames won't accept some of the newer barrels. They moved the pivot pin a bit forward in the early 90's, and barrels made before then won't fit properly on a newer frame.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

I have a Encore in 308 that is pretty **** accurate and is fun to shoot. I haven't had time to shoot a bunch of different rounds through it to see which is the best but with the 150grn @ 200 yards it was shooting 3" groups. I know it will do better I just need some more time with the pistol at the range.

Wink

I have both Contender, and Encore. Contender in 45-70, Encore in 7mm 08, 375 JDJ. If recoil is a concern, you don't want these guns in the heavy cals, stick with what you have. The heavy/ high performance ammo, handloads ,in these guns sometimes borders on the painful to shoot. You would also need the longer barrels to take advantage of the power that they offer.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

You are very right about the recoil in the big calibers. A friend of mine has an unported .45-70 barrel with open sights for his Contender. He has shot it 4 times. Once to see how it shot and felt, and 3 more shots that killed 3 moose. Says that is enough shooting it to satisfy his curious until next moose season........
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

I have a stainless,factory-ported contender in .375Win and the recoil is way-different than any of my revolovers. No muzzle-rise, the recoil pushes back laterally against your hand.

It was way more pleasant to shoot than my 6 1/2" S&W 629 Classic in .44 mag. The first sitting at the bench I shot an entire box.

Off the bench it will shoot 1 1/2" groups with 200gr factory load @ 100 yards using a Burris 2.5-7x scope in TSOB rings.

I'd love for Hornady to come out with their LeverEvolution bullet in this caliber, say in a 225gr bullet. Until that happens I might have to start handloading the 235gr Speer.

Default encore

The Contender is a great pistol, but I personally would opt for the Encore instead because you get many more options. The Encore can be a pistol, rifle, muzzle loader or shotgun with a quick change of barrels and many more calibers are offered for the Encore as well. Either way, you won't be disappointed with any TC gun you decide to buy. I personally have an Encore and use a 7/08 pistol barrel, 30/06 and 223 rifle barrels and .50cal muzzle loader barrel. I am considering ordering a 375 H&H rifle barrel and 45/70 pistol barrel in the future.