Thread: Thanksgiving Hunt with Beagle

Default Thanksgiving Hunt with Beagle

I knew today would be a whackin stackem day. Got these 7 bunnies in a little under 2 hours. 3 were down in the first 15 minutes. I got 3 wiith my Modified ruger 10/22 Magnum wich is now a 17hmr, Brian got the other four with his winchester over/under 12 guage. The dog did great! Hes actually always good. I could just see the rabbits better today. The other hunters seemed to be okay as well, heard lots of shots.

Nice, Might have to head out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Wow.
    Definitely going to try and get out this weekend! Anyone know if they've been having any luck up by Knick? Or for that matter down by Pt. Mac?

Thanks,

Jon

Nice. Looks like you were hunting the flats. I was thinking yesterday about how good the rabbit hunting would be right now since all the snow melted away.

Nice haul Matt.

I took my nephew out today for his first rabbit hunt. As he is only 8 years old and inexperienced, I drove past the flats as I didn't want him to have to deal with other hunters. We went east of Palmer and found a lot of tracks, but no rabbits to shoot at. We had a good time practicing with a target, though, and he's already excited about next time.

Congrats on a good day, Matt.

If you were out on the east side of the flats near palmer the "other hunters" you were hearing was me blowing holes in the ground. Thats what happens when you don't practice shooting clays enough. Realized around the 8th clean miss that I was snap shooting off only the front bead and shooting clean over them. Once I realized that it was ON! Saw one guy walking along the tracks with a young boy out hunting kind of wondered if it was someone from the forum. Can't wait till my boys are ready to go out. Ended up getting two in about 15 shots. Once I realized the mistakes I was making I got one at 35 yards I was surprised when I rolled it. My Mossberg 500 with the 28" ported barrel is a dream to shoot.

Hey thanks for the compliments guys. Yeah I was hunting the knik area. First exit on the right coming from anchorage. All these rabbits were in one little strip of woods that cant be more than 4 or 5 acres. It is surrounded by a slough and the railroad tracks. There was still some in there. I had to go and catch the dog who was still hot on a trail.

Thumbs up Nice looking Beagle

Dad used to raise them back in Michigan and every weekend we'd go "listen to the music". I sure miss those sounds. Glad to see you were successful!

Good job! I have two beagles and sure wish I lived in a part of the state where snowshoe hares were available. How do you use your beagle when you're hunting them?

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Good job! I have two beagles and sure wish I lived in a part of the state where snowshoe hares were available. How do you use your beagle when you're hunting them?
    Hes pretty much a fire and forget weapon. I just turn him loose. Wait for him to start bawling. Get in front of him and the rabbit and get the gun up for the rabbit. Fire and repeat. If he doesnt have a bunny up in 10 minutes I move, cause there isnt any there! He'll run all day, He'll go so hard he makes himself sick.

Yeah beagles are pretty fun to listen to in the woods. If hes up on a rabbit, I usually make everyone wait till he at least brings it full circle. He needs to have fun too and I like listening to him run.

Thanks Matt. That's what I was wondering, if your beagle will try to circle the rabbit back towards you for a shot? I sure enjoy the sound when they open up on the trail of a fox out here and I can only imagine what they would be like on snowshoes.