Thread: Big Bore, all relative I guess

Default Big Bore, all relative I guess

The next time some folks start to talk about the 308 as a large bore with objectionable recoil.... think of this photo....

It really makes the 5.56mm look like a pop-gun by comparison
    Last edited by Float Pilot; 01-27-2008 at 16:07.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I always thought big bores started at .375.......

And the 5.56 IS a popgun. Just a very lethal one.

Default Funny...

Yeah, I was telling one of my buddies I bought a medium bore, a 338, and he says a MEDIUM BORE!!! I said yeah thats what it is, plus, if I tell my wife I don't have a big bore than maybe she'll let me get one someday!

Default Ummm.....

Perhaps when compared to this, a .700 Nitro, or perhaps even a 4 bore could be considered pipsqueaks in the rifled barrel world....16 inch coastal gun at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Just not very handy for a stroll through the boondocks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Big Bore doesnt start until thers a '4' at the beginning of the caliber designation. Preferably followed immediatly by a '5'.

Default Big bores start at 4..

Actually we could have a great debate that it should be "4" followed by a "1-6", but then I'd be missing the 450-400's which John Taylor also thought grandly of.

I guess it is pretty relative, but it's my understanding that the generally accepted definition of big bore (according to my Africa hunting reading) starts at the .45 caliber range. The .416 and .423 are considered medium bore. I'm sure everyone has their own personal definition of "big" which can become a bit fluid as different rifles come and go.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Well, since you started it and my wife aint here to boot me off my high horse........ the book of Alangaq states that "small bore" is any cartridge up to and including .243 / 6mm, "minor medium bore" (kind of like medium rare if your ordering a steak) is .257 thru .30, and "major medium" is .32 thru .35. Now "Magnum Medium" is .375, and that brings us to "just plain old medium" which is......... oh wait, yea thats supposed to be the .375 H&H, except for the 375 Winchester which is really kind of a "minor medium" and the 257 Weatherby is pretty hot so naturally its really more of a "major medium" or is it perhaps a "minor major magnum"......Cant remember, and oh yes, nearly forgot......if its got a belt on the case, then for sure its a "big bore"..... or was that supposed to be "belted magnum bore"?........Ok, ok, I got it now, if you can jam your finger in the barrel then for sure its a BIG bore! Ya, Ya, that's it............unless of course it fires shot.......then it would be a gun for fireing shot...... a, shot-gun....not a "big bore" two totally different things.......Ok, so you got it now? It's so simple......so dont make me explain it to you again.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Well, since you started it and my wife aint here to boot me off my high horse........ the book of Alangaq states that "small bore" is any cartridge up to and including .243 / 6mm, "minor medium bore" (kind of like medium rare if your ordering a steak) is .257 thru .30, and "major medium" is .32 thru .35. Now "Magnum Medium" is .375, and that brings us to "just plain old medium" which is......... oh wait, yea thats supposed to be the .375 H&H, except for the 375 Winchester which is really kind of a "minor medium" and the 257 Weatherby is pretty hot so naturally its really more of a "major medium" or is it perhaps a "minor major magnum"......Cant remember, and oh yes, nearly forgot......if its got a belt on the case, then for sure its a "big bore"..... or was that supposed to be "belted magnum bore"?........Ok, ok, I got it now, if you can jam your finger in the barrel then for sure its a BIG bore! Ya, Ya, that's it............unless of course it fires shot.......then it would be a gun for fireing shot...... a, shot-gun....not a "big bore" two totally different things.......Ok, so you got it now? It's so simple......so dont make me explain it to you again.
    That is just to funny Alangaq and that puts everything into perspective.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I've tended to think that 30's and under are small bores, over 30 to 40 is medium bore, with the 40's being heavy mediums, and the big bores starting at 45. When I got my first 458 Lott, I learned what a big bore was. When I got my 500 Jeffrey, I realized my motivation to build anything larger was quelched.

A featherweight .308 will get your attention, but I've alternated between the .308 and the .458 Lott, and the .308 litterly fealt recoil-less in comparison.