Thread: Bucks Bags Catarafts

Default Bucks Bags Catarafts

Just looking for some thoughts on them. I purchased one 3 years ago. It is a 2 person raft with deep royal blue tubes 14' long with the platform and waist bar for the fisherwoman in the front. Low seat for the oarsman with lightweight paddles but very large ends. It came with cargo bags and quick release anchor assembly. I have seen a lot of single bucks bags but i have not seen any other doubles on the kenai. I must say so far I have been very impressed with the raft. My wife and I have used it on an average of 40 floats a year (granted it is just the upper kenai or a few lakes) I have not had a single issue with it. I can move it anywhere I want on the river very quickly, it does not draft much water, Will hold a cooler of ummmm your favorite beverage and snacks on the rear platform and has just allowed my wife and I to share some great moments on the river over the last 3 years. I do maintain it well though or at least I think I do. I do leave it inflated all summer where i store it. i do let air out to allow for expansion due to the heat in the summer. I check it before every float (straps, cuts, gouges, pins, etc etc) When I store it for the winter I take the frame off the tubes and hang it in the garage. I open the valves on the tubes and unzip the outer tube and let them dry out fully over the winter in the garage that is kept at around 55 degrees. If anyone has any other storage tips or thoughts on the rafts Id like to hear them. Oh I am a 26 year resident who finally discovered the joys of floating. Happy Holidays to all and see you on the river.
    Chuck and June

P.S. Here is a picture of the raft we call the June Bug
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 11-19-2008 at 20:27.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

It looks about perfect for what you're using it for. Have you tried any extended multi-day trips with it? I would think you would have to pack light to take both of you, but maybe not so much. Lots of room for one person and gear though.

I have a little 10' rig I made up from two inflatable kayaks that works well for one person, even as a tripping boat, but it would be hopeless as a two place boat. Still, it's nice to have something, and someone, to get yourself out there with.

We think it is perfect for us and it does everything we ask. We have not taken any extended trips in it. It does have a weight load of 1000lbs so if i built a platform for the center im sure i could take a Tent, bags etc etc. Thanks for your comments and see you on the river

Default good stuff

this looks like a great setup.
    easy to move around on land and water, does not take up a ton of space.
    Hope to see you guys on the kenai this next summer.
    stop in if you get down around mile post 84 on the sterling hwy and say hi.
    do you guys do the Skilak to Bings float?
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I have done the Skilak to bings several times in my buddys drift boat. I do not have a moter for my raft or id love to do Jims to bings. I know if the weather is right i can do skilak to bings also. I have caught some nice fish on the mid river float and enjoy the trip. If we do float that section this year we will look out for you. just look for the lady on the platform fishing her butt off.
    Fish on
    Chuck