Thread: Susitna Valley Fish and Game Adviory Committee

Default Susitna Valley Fish and Game Adviory Committee

The first meeting of the new Susitna Valley Fish and Game Advisory Committee will meet on 7 Dec at the Willow Community Center in Willow. Electins of new board members and officers will be conducted. We need Alaskans interested in effctive management of our resources, weather you are a hunter, fisher, commercial fisherman or trapper. For more information contact me at 495-4965

Bruce Knowles

Default question for bigfisherman

Bruce, we may not agreed on issues but one question I have is how the advisory committee can make good decisions with ADF&G not getting reports out until two weeks before the BOF meeting. From my understanding the genetic report is not complete but something will be out on Dec 1 and an overescapement report is due the same date. However, all the other reports on stock status, susitna studies, department comments and about 10 other reports will not be available.

Has the advisory committee written an letters of objection to ADF&G or the BOF about this issue?

I feel that the public should have this information before the advisory boards meet so everyone is on the same page. Do you agee?

Angry Susitna Advisdory Board

I heard today that ADFG is to have the the sockeye gen.studis by 1 DEC. and that some other reports are due out next month. The advisory Susitna River committeeschedule on the 7th of DEC. has never meet it only has 4 members at this time. We will be electing new officer and memebers on the 7th. I have just finished with the second 3 hour fisheries subcommittee meeting for the Mat-Su advisory meeting we have been going through all the proposal to determine the effects of proposals and which one we want to support. Yes it trouble me very much that the departmeent can't get there act together to put out "GOOD" informations on the different proposal in a timely manner.

Yah right just go ahead and write something huh? I mean I agree that stuff needs to be published quickly but writing a technical report takes time. Maybe it is the scheduling that is to blame and not the department? I know some of the guys who manage different areas and they get tasked with a lot. Anyway have a great day!

bigfisherman, I do want to point out and applaud your participation in the Advisory committee. I wansn't trying to hijack your thread about an important topic. I have mixed feeling on the Mat-su and how it is managed. Keep posting as I would like to be more informed. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    Yah right just go ahead and write something huh? I mean I agree that stuff needs to be published quickly but writing a technical report takes time. Maybe it is the scheduling that is to blame and not the department? I know some of the guys who manage different areas and they get tasked with a lot. Anyway have a great day!
    Here is one example. This is from the area biologist for sport fish division in Soldotna in response to a question about reports.

The following annual Kenai River coho salmon assessment reports (commercial
    harvest and smolt abundance) are available online for the following years:
    1) 1993-1998; 2000 & 2001.
    Following is a list of Unpublished K.R. coho assessment reports and status update:
    2) 2002 & 2003 - biometric and peer review is complete, being finalized before going publication technician.
    3) 2004 - needs peer review and finalization by publication technician (has been biometrically reviewed)
    4) 2005 & 2006 - waiting for biometric review (these reports also include adult fish wheel index results).
    Unpublished K.R. adult coho salmon abundance estimate reports (1999-2004)
    5) 1999 thru 2003 - combined report (by Jay Carlon) is pending peer review
    6) 2004 - (by Rob M.) still needs biometric review.

So AKbrownsfan - tell me how hard people are working that they cannot get out a coho report - one of the major issues of UCI - since 2001?

Also, the Susitna River mark/recapture study was done in 2006 and yet a year latter no report until two weeks before the Board meeting. I know the project failed but really someone is dropping the ball here. No chance for review prior to the BOF meeting. There are other reports but the list above says it all in my opinion. The public is being short changed again by the Department. Lets just all show up at the BOF meeting and take the Departments word on these issues - right - we know how that works - backroom deals in 2005.

Default Easy nerka easy.

Nerka my misgivings about the Su and mat-su in general is that it seems to get ignored as compared to the Kenai. I was not aware of a lag of 2001 to now. Nor can I tell you why a study done this summer has not seem the light of day. I see your point in what you typed to bigfisherman now. I would hope that any advisory committee would get timely informations as that is certainly withing the realm of possibility for ADF&G. I guess consider it a misunderstanding. I do consider the sockeye fishery (if you call it that) to be in trouble. (in the susitna drainage).

I simply don't like blanket statements, and it seemed like throwing the dept under the bus. I for one think almost all of the dept. are normal, hard working, people like most of us on the board. Now are there some well "fishy" things that go one? I'm sure.

Also all my friends work in Yukon/Kusk or father north. They haven't worked up to being totally in charge yet! (maybe one day!)

Default just frustrated

Akbrownsfan - not frustrated with you but the state of things. KAFC has over 10 biologist who are retired from the federal or state governments and have extensive experience in UCI. We cannot get the reports to reveiw so this level of expertise is going to waste. There is no way we can do a good scientific review if we get the reports less than two weeks before a BOF meeting. We also cannot interact with the local advisory committees since we have no reports or data to discuss.

Today we found out that KAFC cannot even get the Department comments on sport fish proposals until the local Kenai/Soldotna AC gets them. So we are now hostage to their meeting schedule even though ADF&G has to comments completed relative to oppose, neutral, or support. Why they will not just post them for everyone is beyound me.

The system is really broken between lack of timely reports and comments from the Department. It appears that this is done on purpose to stifle the public involvement. If not, it is incompetent leadership.

I understand wanting information timely, but report and proposal comment "release" dates haven't changed much over the past 15-20 or more years and are fairly consistent throghut the state. Geez, I remember BOF proposal comments at the 99 UCi meeting that were blank, and I remember final reports being handed out after the BOF meeting started that hadn't even been reviewed.

ADF&G folks work hard under some very trying conditions at times. They are one of the most professional and responsive fishery staffs in the nation. Try using the local F&G or DNR office as your personal coffee break place in a different state.........it rarely if ever will happen.

You tout the professionalism and knowledge of KAFC Nerka, perhaps it is time to start exhibiting some.