Thread: KASILOF proposals... king sanctuary above the bridge

Default KASILOF proposals... king sanctuary above the bridge

Proposal 228 seeks to create a Kasilof late run king salmon sanctuary above the bridge July 1 thru Aug 31.

A related proposal (231) seeks to prohibit boat fishing in this area from July 1 thru Aug 15 as a means of protecting spawning chinook salmon.

Your thoughts?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I say no, The wild run of king numbers seem to be coming up. I have not fished late season though and i dont know what the numbers are but how many fish are caught upstream compared to downstream? How many anglers would be forced downstream of the bridge if this went through. If fish and game thinks that it will bring king numbers up then i would like to see their numbers they have now and what they think this will do to benifit the fishery. vance

Does it really matter if the terminal fishery continues? The conservation effort would be passed on to the sportfish angler while kings are caught as by-catch in the terminal fishery. The second run kings need attention. My fear is the recent research into there numbers will be squewed (sp?) due to the research being conducted while there is a terminal fishery going on. Maybe they are counting the kings caught in commercial nets and counting them in the data, but I have not heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    I say no, The wild run of king numbers seem to be coming up. I have not fished late season though and i dont know what the numbers are but how many fish are caught upstream compared to downstream? How many anglers would be forced downstream of the bridge if this went through. If fish and game thinks that it will bring king numbers up then i would like to see their numbers they have now and what they think this will do to benifit the fishery. vance
    According to who regarding run sizes? The state has no data. The only evidence we have is from those of us that have been on the river day in and day out for years ... my 15 and another decade or more on top of that from those that have since retired, but our days have overlapped.

Regarding the closure proposals, it is ALREADY closed for kings above the bridge during the second run ... however, a good number of people (including a few guide services, one even advertised the fact on their site) ... go up to these waters and bounce these kings up under the guise of "silver" fishing.

Basically, there isn't much for silvers up there until mid-August anyhow, and those that like to fish it legitimately don't show until about then. The 'from a boat" language still aloows those that wish to sockeye fish in the upper river every opportunity to do so.

Close it down