Thread: KASILOF proposals... liberalizing in-river sockeye exploitation

Default KASILOF proposals... liberalizing in-river sockeye exploitation

In response to a recent trend that regularly "overescapes" Kasilof sockeye, two proposals seek to liberalize the in-river fisheries exploiting sockeye salmon.

Proposal 216 seeks to liberalize the personal use fishery by increasing the time, area, and/or doubling the harvest limits per household.

Proposal 234 seeks to liberalize the sport fishery by raising the baseline bag/possession limit to 6 sockey per day with EO's allowing upto 12 per day and 24 in possession.

Your thoughts?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    In response to a recent trend that regularly "overescapes" Kasilof sockeye, two proposals seek to liberalize the in-river fisheries exploiting sockeye salmon.

Proposal 216 seeks to liberalize the personal use fishery by increasing the time, area, and/or doubling the harvest limits per household.

Proposal 234 seeks to liberalize the sport fishery by raising the baseline bag/possession limit to 6 sockey per day with EO's allowing upto 12 per day and 24 in possession.

Your thoughts?
    both are not very effective. The personal use fishery has been extended up to the bridge but access and other issues keep people from using the area.

Most people who fish sockeye cannot catch one yet alone 6 or 24. Again, reality of the fishery is not in a match with the proposals. So if they pass them it really will make little difference.

"Personal Use" = Waton Waste

Increase the limit, increase the amount of freezer burned fish and the amount of fish illegally sent to friends in the lower 48 lets just catch them with a fish wheel and distribute them to the people at the mouth of the kenai cursing the commercial guys... lol
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    "Personal Use" = Waton Waste
    That's a pretty bold statement you're making there. Perhaps that is the case at times, but I have not wasted any of my personal use fish, nor have I sent any to out of state friends or relatives. When you cast such stones, you may want to mention the word "sometimes" or some other such qualifier.

I'd like to see a cap put on the amount of fish than can be shipped, mailed, or transported out of the State of Alaska....Just like the lower 48 states do for their precious fish and game. Some states have check stations right at the airports and borders. They learned how to protect their resources the hard way. We should learn.

BTW, sport fishing is just as much a culprit of wanton waste as personal use.

* this is a response to AKPM

Maybe for new anglers but not most I think. When I first starting catching salmon I'll admit I was better at catching them than processing them. My first two years I had some freezer burned fish that I ended up using as dog food. Once I got all the equipment (smoker, canner, etc) I almost never waste any part of the fish. This year I have yet to waste any of the fish I caught. I think I ended up grilling 20 or so, and canning 20 or so. I am almost out, and could have used more.
    Last edited by Akbrownsfan; 11-28-2007 at 10:01. Reason: clarity

"Catch and Release" = wanton waste