Thread: Question for Murphy

Default Question for Murphy

In reseaching hand loading of 338WM and 375H&H, I noticed you like RL-5 powder and Speer 235gr for the 375H&H for the light loads. What primer did you use, CCI Magnum primers??

Also what primer do you use for a 375 shooting 300gr?

Also, can you give your home-grown receipe for a 338WM shooting 200gr. Ballastic Silver Tips bullets (powder, primer, etc...).

I have researched the old site for your receipes, but have failed to notice your primer recommendations.

Thanks in advance
    ~F

Default Loading Secrets

Frank,

I think you mean RL-15 powder, that is by Alliant now. In general this propellant is the best for bullets in the 235-260 grain range, and that will vary from gun to gun. I prefer H4350 over just about everything else for the 270-300+ grain range. The reason for this is that it will fill the case and give a very consistant load at normal working pressure. I don't have exact charge weights now but can get to that later today.

As for primers, there is no one primer better than another just sometimes a certain primer is better in one particular gun or caliber. For the 375 H&H and the 338 Win, I use a lot of CCI-250, large rifle magnum primers. I also use Fed 215 or 215 M the match version. These Federal LR mags are a hotter spark and you will usually will need to back off the load some when swithcing to them. If I'm working up a load and looking for pressure signs I use the Federal primers as the softer cups make reading the primer easier and more predictable. Usually with the 375 H&H I can switch from the 215's to the 250's and it shows no difference in velocity and they shoot to the same place. That's a tribute to the powder, H4350 is a very good powder.

I don't think I have a recipe for the 200 grain ballistic silver tip, but I do for the 200 Ballistic tip and they would be about the same. I'll post some loads here later tonite after I look at my book.

I load the Speer 235 grain load to strike the same point of aim as the 300 grain load which is usually a down loaded round, and I call this my deer load. It is also really nice for Impala, Nyala and other similar sized thin skinned animals. (If you are wanting minimal meat damage however, you're better off with 300 FMJ's, such as Hornady's.) The velocity will vary as will the powder charge for an individual rifle to make them strike with the 300 soft points. It is basically 35 Whelen or 9.3 X 62 ballistics, or it can be used as a high speed flat shooter. The 250-270 grain spitzers are generally better for long shots, however. This 235 grain load is also really nice for a practice load and will allow you to spend more time at the range do to it's softer recoil. More later...film at eleven.

Good shootin'.

Murphy

Default Thanks Sir Murphy

Could I ask a follow up question while you research you recipes?

Will using remington brass change the firing any?

Professor Murphy...I'm looking forward to hearing of your load data for the .375H&H with H4350. I've not used that powder when reloading the old H&H, as I've pretty much settled into a routine with RL-15 and 270 gr Barnes X's. However, I use H4350 with other calibers, so I always have some in the cabinet. Also, I'm switching over to the TSX's for the .375, so I'm currently playing around with new loads. Thanks for taking the time to search your personal archives, sir.

Default Loading Data

I'm not procrastinating deliberately on the data, I am trying to open my web site but have run into more snags than anticipated. The site will have a by caliber listing of loading data and hopefully be up and running soon. There is a lot of stuff to do with it and I'm in the summer gotta go take the visiting family on sight seeing tours., Gosh doesn't anybody go to Botswana anymore?

Hang in there. Good shootin'.

Frank I still want that rifle. How about if I find you another Sako?

Murphy

Default 200 Ballistic Recipe tip

Murphy,

Have you had time to find your recipe for 200 Ballistic tip 338WM?

Also, could you please give a recipe for the ~250-300 A-Frame too? I cannot remember which bullet is best for a heavy load but I thought it was mentioned something like ~250-300 A-Frame

If so, please let me know. I am ready to reload!!

Thanks in advance
    ~F