Thread: Weapons

Default Weapons

Was wondering what kinds of weapons you all fly with if at all and why? Thinking about getting me a gun for my plane.

Terry

Default Papoose

I looked at WWG's 45-70 take-down model (the Co-Pilot, I believe) a number of times but couldn't justify the price for the limited use it would get. I also mulled over some over/under, dual caliber models made by Savage and Springfield Arms. I wanted something low profile and lightweight ended up settling for a Marlin Papoose .22LR (take-down model and comes with a case). The ammo is cheap and light and although some will argue that the caliber is inadequate for Alaska, I kept coming back to the fact that the gun is only intended for survival situations.

I don't have the money or time to fly, but my father always kept a 12 ga Remington 870. Some slugs, some birdshot, and a few different chokes. Versitile and reliable. Downside is that the ammo is bulky and heavy.

I'd imagine one of those over/under .22 LR/30-06 by Savage would be pretty nice. A brick of .22 and a box of -06 should last a good long time. No rapid follow up shots with that rifle though. A missed animal could be the difference between life and death.

If I had the weight and space (and an airplane) I'd probably take a .22 auto handgun (target model) and a high power rifle like a Marlin Guide Gun w/ 2.5 power Leupold in a scout scope mount.

Just my $.02

Default .02

I have a TC pistol with a 30/06 barrell and .410. Could carry that and a half dozen shells if a fella thought he really needed one of each. I don't though.
    Soapbox follows:
    I usually have a rifle in the gun boot when I'm flying as I'd imagine most AK flyers do. If I have to shoot a grouse with a .338 in a survival situation, so be it. However, in my opinion, if you are gonna carry extra weight around for survival, make it a tarp, smokes, flares, survival bars, etc. That way when the helicopter flys by you can signal them from your dry shelter with a full belly.
    Treat your wounds, ensure the ELT is squaking, and get your signaling devices ready. You airplane wreckage is hard enough to see, so think how hard a human is to see when you leave the wreckage and start walking. There are very limited situations that walking out is sensible, so maybe a bear protection pistol?? I'd rather have some smokes and flares, however. Alot of CLIF bars can take the place of a 5 pound gun! Something to think about.

I'd also like to add that one should not overlook the importance of having adequate liquid with you.

A knee jerk reaction would be to think that there aren't any places you could go down in Alaska without available water, but such isn't the case, even if you aren't incapacitated in the wreck.

I got my plane quite stuck a while back on the beach of a deserted island near Togiak. All I had was a half jug of Gatorade for hydration. I also had a survival kit with energy bars, a .22/410 combo gun and a 12ga shotgun. I didn't have to dig and shove the plane around very long before the Gatorade was gone. There was a gully a few miles away that looked like it could contain a little stream, but since I was fighting the oncoming tide to get the plane up to a section of beach which appeared firm enough to take off on, I chose to continue the struggle rather than scout for water.

To make a long story short, I did get out of there, but three or four hours into the six hour ordeal it took to free the plane I reached a point where I would have traded the guns, the food, the plane and my birthright for a tall glass of water!....Louis

Default Good Call

Yeah, definitely agree with that. Probably more important than the food. Most times ya might as well eat, drink, make a nice shelter, set off the elt and wait till the helo arrives.

Default .40 pistol

I carry a glock .40 strapped to my side. I think that a rifle and all the survival gear in the world is no good to you if you need to evac. in a hurry. I carry basic survival gear on my person at all times while flying and keep a larger survival kit in the plane just in case.