Thread: 300 win mag max point blank range

Default 300 win mag max point blank range

I bought a 300 win mag last month. How high do I need to shoot a 180 grain at 100 yards to be sighted in for my max point blank range? I have searched and found several sights that say that round has a 300-305 yard PBR, but I can not find one that tells how high to aim @ 100 yards. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

garnede:
    I could figger that out pretty easy with my Load from a Disk software, but I'd need the Velocity, and BC of the bullet, as well, as what you've given so far.

If you've got the type bullet, LFD gives me the BC. I spose you could estimate the velocity. It also, depends on whether you want a max high of 3" or 4" or whatever.

If you can give the the figures I'll run it through for ya. There are websites that do the same for you online, but I don't know what they are. Maybe someone will tell us.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Garnede,
    In my load for 300 win mag 4 inch high at 100 yds puts me dead on at 300 and is a 4.5 to 5 inch high at 200. This is using 180 grain premium bullet like barnes or fail safe (both of these seem to shoot about same point of impact in my rifle). I use Reloader 19 at 72 grains for about 2940 fps. Using this 300yd zero I'm around 10 inch low at 400 and a little over 2 feet low at 500 on paper. My longest shot was 428 yds on caribou and I held about three forths way up on his back.
    Hope this is at least a good starting point for you. Practice...practice....practice.
    Eddie

Default Point Blank Range

As I was taught, 'point blank' refers to how far out you can hit your target Without adjusting your sights, i.e. holding over or under. In the ballistic calculators I've seen you need to define how large your target is, let's say 4", then the calculator can tell you how far out you can (ballistically speaking, that is) hit a 4" target, while holding dead on. That's what I know as 'point blank'. There is a good ballistics calculator at www.realguns.com .

Default about 3 inches high at 100 yds

With a moose which has a 6-10 vital area behind the front shoulder. You can aim for the center of the vital area and hit from 4 inches high to 4 inches low anywhere from 1 to 300 yards. I have used this rule of thumb for years. Remember to change this if you hunt smaller game as it changes the vital area size, most hunting mags. should have this info on they're web sites.

www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory.tables.htm

300 win mag 180gr sp/ bc .483/muzzle vel 3070/ +2.5 @100yds/ +2.3 @ 200 yds/ max point blank range =303yds

Default Zero

Rule of thumb for shooting out too 400 yards with 300 Win Mag.........I suggest 3 Inches High at 100 yards................this is what I zero my rifles at
    Alaska

I zero at 250 yds. Just a shade under 3" high at 100yds and a shade over 3" at 150yds. Point blank to about 325yds or so.