Thread: First Caribou Hunt

Default First Caribou Hunt

So, I'm getting ready to go on my first caribou hunt. I'm not exactly sure how to hunt caribou. Do you spot and stalk, or do you hunt them like white tail? Also, I don't think they're to big, Would a 30-06 bring one down?
    If some of our teenage thrill seekers really want to go out and get a thrill.
    Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear
    or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul -----Fred Bear

Spot and stalk is generally the way to go with caribou. The only exception I can think of is if they're migrating through a specific draw or via a certain trail. Then you can set up on the trail and ambush them, but again, spot and stalk is usually the way to go.

As for caliber, 30-06 is a great choice. I usually shoot 150gr bullets for caribou, but I would wager that a 180gr bullet is the most popular choice.

Good luck, and post a report with pictures when you get back!

Quote Originally Posted by RemingtonGuy View Post
    So, I'm getting ready to go on my first caribou hunt. I'm not exactly sure how to hunt caribou. Do you spot and stalk, or do you hunt them like white tail? Also, I don't think they're to big, Would a 30-06 bring one down?
    Where you going and how did you decide on that hunt?

I'm doing the 40 mile caribou hunt, and I just love to hunt, and it's just another animal for me to try

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    Where you going and how did you decide on that hunt?
    or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul -----Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by RemingtonGuy View Post
    I'm doing the 40 mile caribou hunt, and I just love to hunt, and it's just another animal for me to try
    I am sure you will have fun and I hope you have good luck too!
    Last edited by AVALANCHE; 11-21-2007 at 21:09. Reason: missed a word

that wasn't me looking for the rabbits, i told the guy where to find them, but thanks for the concern

good luck!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default I am looking for an area to hunt for Caribou in Sept 2009

Greetings from Arizona.

I made my first visit to Alaska over the summer and fell in love with your great state. I spent my time around Moose Creek and Fairbanks. I went fishing on the Corps Lake at Chena River Flats. The fishing was OK and when it was slow the friendly people and great views made up for the lack of action. I was limited on time (WORKING) and had to make the best of what time I had.

Since returning to Arizona I have spent countless hours researching areas to hunt caribou. I have printed off PDF files from state agencies, read this forum, checked out books, atlases, topo maps, and have spoke with Alaskan winter visitors here in Yuma Arizona and I am more confused now than ever. Simply put there is too much information, and I need some help finding the right information.

On aug 31, 2009 I will be retiring from the Marine Corps, and then it is off to Alaska . I want to spend July and August Floating, Camping and fishing. I am looking for artic grayling, rainbows, and northerns on my fly rod. Then when September rolls around I want to hunt Caribou, I have looked at the cost to use guides, outfitters, air service and it is pricey. I have also looked at hunting along haul road, and I have some questions.

What is the exact process for a non resident hunter to aquire a liscence, tag, lock out ticket? I have read the fish and game rules and it is confusing. I know I can print a liscense, but how do you get put in a drawing and when must it be done by? I have also been told that a non resident can buy a caribou tag over the counter. This seems strange, and also How do you choose an area to hunt? I am asking to have this broke down Barney Style. Also can you hunt on haul road and what is the best place?

I would also like to add this for a trade. If anybody would like to escape the cold I can entertain you in Yuma Arizona. We have 60 deree weather, blue skys, rivers, and lakes full of big fat bass. Also some of the best dove hunting in the US. There is also plenty of quail. I own horses and have direct access to sandy washes, and great desert views, you will also see wild mustangs, and the border patrol catching illegals.

I am only looking for an econmical way to catch some fish, and fill my freezer with caribou meat.

YOUR HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Jo in Yuma

Default I may be able to assist

Joe,

You've got a tall order here. There's a LOT to it. Probably the shortest way around the barn is to just to drop me a private message and let's make a date to talk on the phone. I'd be happy to talk with you and it won't cost you anything besides the call.

I am also a commercial hunt planner and I'd be happy to fill you in on what that involves.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Ditto

Longhorn198585

If your coming up to the Fairbanks area to retire concerning the fihsing aspect of your post just shoot me a note on a P.M, call or stop by the shop I will provide you as much information as possible concering Grayling, Rainbow and Pike on the Fly. No stirngs attached or promo just information one sportsman to another.

Best of Luck with your retirement and safe travels.

Richard Mousseau
    Blue Moose Rafting Sales and Outfitting
    www.bluemooserafting.com

Mr Strahan

Sounds great I will drop an e mail, or give you a ring after the weekend. Thanks for answering my post.

Bluemoose

I am going to be on terminal leave from July 1 2009 until my official last day Aug 31 2009. Then I will be retired. I will spend 3 months in Alaska relaxing , and come back to Arizona. I just might want to stay. I think splitting time between Arizona and Alaska would be sweet. I am looking for fun outside work.

One more note for all. Deer Archery in Arizona is an over the counter tag. The Archery deer season is split over several months. There is a 2 week hunt that runs 14 dec to 24 dec, and a January hunt. Nonresident archery tags can also be purchased over the counter.. It would be a warm blue sky hunt, and Margaritas around the corner in Mexico. White water rafting not too far in the Grand Canyon. Big catfish and bass on the colorado river.

Do the caribou still have antlers this time of year? Or are they mostly all shed now? Just curious.

The bulls will have mostly dropped by now but the cows will still have antlers.