Thread: Wrangell Hiking

Default Wrangell Hiking

Anyone do much backcountry fly-out hiking in the Wrangells? I am looking for some good hikes for next summer. Maybe out in the eastern portion around Horsfeld or White River or Baultoff Creek or Ptarmigan Lake or wherever. Any recommendations for strips to land at and air taxis to use?

I've been all over that country. A good route is from Baultoff to Chisana and then down to Solo Creek. Down around Horsfeld the trail can be wet and torn up by horses so go the northern route up Baultoff Creek and over into the Snag River. This is not a trip for inexperienced hikers and requires route finding and river crossings. Wrangell Mt Air can put you into Baultoff with a 185.

I was looking at some photos of Baultoff. In the pics it looks like a narrow braided stream in a wide gravel bed. Is this accurate, and for what times of year is it like this? Is a good route right up the gravel bars, or up in the high country?

I was in Baultoff a number of years ago, it was in late August and the stream was easy to cross as we hiked upstream. You'll find an old plane wreck near the top of the pass as you head down to Snag creek. It's beautiful country.

40 mile air will also fly you into Baultoff.

Baultoff is a small, shallow creek. No problems crossing it. Good walking along the creek and up high. The plane wreck still there. Surprised NPS hasn't required it be me moved (or moved it).

There will be 6 of us Backpacking from Jaegar Mesa to Pingo air strip in July. We will be flying out of Nabesna July 2nd. Pick up around the 10th or 11th.

Default Hike info on line

http://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisit/hiking-routes.htm

Here's the link to the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park & Preserve web site that has descriptions of several hikes of varying levels of difficulty throughout the park. Many of .pdf links have photos and maps (not meant to replace a real map in your pocket).

Elsewhere on the site are links to lists of all the commercial visitor service providers (air taxis, guides, etc.) licensed to work in the park, guides to the McCarthy and Nabesna Roads, and information on the dozen or so free public use cabins maintained by the park.

The park phone number is 822-5234. Although some of the staff is off for the winter, check to see if there's a ranger who has had hiking experience in a particular area or to talk to a park pilot who could give you a pilot's view of landing in various areas. They should share what they know or be able to steer you to other folks with experience in that part of the park.

Have fun & safe travels!

Default Wrangell-St. Elias treks

I've always wanted to check out Baultoff myself. I've hiked in the Horsefeld area (Horsefeld to Solo Creek) but am curious about Baultoff.

I don't spend as much time in the northern part of the park as I do the southern, but check out my site for some photos of several great trekking routes.

http://www.trekalaska.com/alaska_photos/2007/index.html

If you're looking for a real adventure then check out this one in the Wrangell Range. Very remote and rugged country.

http://www.trekalaska.com/trips/alas...kyscraper.html

If you do go to Baultoff I would love to see your photos.

Greg
    Trek Alaska

Author of Hiking Alaska's Wrangell-St. Elias National Park
    available April 1 from Falcon Guides

Thumbs up

Fantastic site AK Trekker!

Default Another good resourse...

Paul Claus at the Ultima Thule Lodge knows the country well. He can put you on some good hikes, many that are not marked or maintained. If you want to stay in the lodge be prepared to spend some cash, but if all you want is an air taxi that can get you in spots most people wouldn't land a helo... then Paul is your man.

http://www.ultimathulelodge.com/

PM me if you want more info.

"Just filmed from Ultima Thule - "Vertical Rush St Elias""....
    Now That's core....

McCarthy Air caters to the flyout trekker...

http://www.mccarthyair2.com/page12.html

There are some outstanding hikes from McCarthy itself as well, Rips...

I haven't been out by Horsefeld but I've been from Chisana to Skolai a couple of times. That section from Chisana to Solo Creek is great, but the walking can be spongy at times. Depending on water levels the Middle Fork, Lime, and Flood Creeks can be treacherous and terrifying. Neat trip though, I have a brief writeup and slideshow posted on my blog:

http://www.kennicottguides.com/cblog...ana.......html

The views of some of the BIG St. Elias mountains are unparalleled on this route. Awesome!