Thread: Large number of Kings

Default Large number of Kings

I am planning a fishing trip next June for Kings. I am interested in large numbers instead of Trophies. I have read that the Nushagat is tought to beat. Does anyone have any other river suggestions that yield large numbers?
    Thanks
    John

Default King trip

First off welcome!

Second, maybe give a little more information and you'll get more from the forums. Are you planning on staying with a lodge or outfitter? Or are you planning on doing a rafting trip to float a river?

If this is a do it yourself trip, then you have your work cut out for you. There are many systems that are loaded with Kings, however the access could and would be considered very difficult for a first time trip to Alaska.

Your on track with the Nushagak, it has one of the largest king runs around. It also boasts many outfitters and guides, so a trip to the Nush might be the easiest for you to pull off.

Happy Thanksgiving!

-sc

I'll second the "tell us more" bit...

There are too many options to list - especially if you're not strictly looking at river fishing... If you'd rather have a bright, shiny 3/O, 4/O or even 5/O fish, I can't think of many places better than the Northern section of South East Alaska. In 9 trips the last 2 years (May/June only) I can't think of one where King catches weren't limits... Then there's the halibut and sablefish that just don't seem to get very far up most rivers!...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks,

I am planning a cruise with my wife and another couple that will end in Seward. At Seward I plan a Halibut outing and then try for the Kings. On each trip I want a charter or guide.

Quote Originally Posted by jrfirewood View Post
    Thanks,

I am planning a cruise with my wife and another couple that will end in Seward. At Seward I plan a Halibut outing and then try for the Kings. On each trip I want a charter or guide.
    If you don't have other excursions planned in your various cruise ports, It would be a neat comparison to fish for Kings on the salt in SE, and then lay into a few in the river once you're up North.

Depending what cruise itinerary you're on, I'd recommend Sitka, Juneau, Ketchikan and Hoonah (Icy Strait Point) in no particular order for great King fishing in June. With the 4 of you, chartering a boat/guide privately for your group should be no problem. Avoid the sport fishing tours sold on the ships as you never know what you're going to get when you arrive... it could be just the 4 of you on a 40 foot yacht, or the broker may cram 6 on a 24' Bayliner...

I won't push halibut fishing in SE that early in the season... Seward (or Homer) is definately the way to go for flatties in June.

If you need any specific guide/charter recommendations, PM and I'll be happy to drop all the names I know!

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Kings in Seward

One of the unknown things about Seward is the King Salmon fishing in June. They are really thick in early and mid june. Some of the Charters out of Seward were targeting them this last summer with very good results. With four of you, I would also recommend chartering a whole boat, that way you dont have the potential of having people on the boat who do not share the same priorties as your group.

-Ben

Again, you need to provide more info since you don't appear to be flexible in your dates as the cruise sounds to be already set. Many fisheries have very specific timing and a few weeks makes all the difference. Early June there would be few on the Nush, by the end of the month, there are loads ...

Road-based systems are no different if you don't wish to fly out to the Nush ... KP streams such as the Kasilof offer a greast chance at very respectable numbers early in the month, but are tough duty at the end. Mat-Su / Copper drainages are essentially the opposite

Thanks again.

I am flexable regarding the dates in June. Based on the cruise, I am committed to a trip in Seward. The question I have regards a King trip. I am flexable about any time in June and would prefer a location that is close to Seward or Anchorage. I am open to a fly-in; However if there are not any great areas for Kings in these locations in June I need to think about plan "B".

If you stop in ketchikan or sitka you may try a day charter it can be real good or pritty slow its the very start of the season in SE. i dont think there in the river yet in june.

You gotta love Case whose talking about the chance to catch King, Halibut and SABLEFISH all in the same trip. UNREAL. I only wish I lived down south and had THAT trip planned. Fortunatly, I live in Southeast Alaska but have yet to test the Sablefish depths, BUT come July we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent fin View Post
    If you stop in ketchikan or sitka you may try a day charter it can be real good or pritty slow its the very start of the season in SE. i dont think there in the river yet in june.
    Most Juneau guides consider June (all of it) to be the peak of King season. Since we're not at one of the gateways to the open ocean, our fish tend to come in waves - usually starting late May. Definately by Father's Day, we're catching limits...

Of course, having a large hatchery doesn't hurt either!

The OP had asked about river selections for large numbers of Kings in June... I guess my choices would be the Taku and Stikine rivers, but yes, I'm a tad biased!

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In June I would head to Lake Creek or the Talichuitna, bring a 500 grain sink tip and bunny flies, you'll outfish the gear guys 2 to 1... You need a guide on the tal (I reccomend Ken's Alaskan Adventures [I think thats what its called, the guys name is ken and he knows how to get em there]) lake creek you can bank fish, but don't expect to be alone at either places. My honey hole for kings (which I'm not telling) is one of the most accessible places in AK, if you know how to hike (thats your hint of the day ) oh and of course I've never shard it with anyone, ever.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've seen multiple reports that an Aniak River float trip produces big king #'s. The bushpilot "Aniak Air Guides" has a website on what's involved.