Thread: Oops, never had this happen!

Default Oops, never had this happen!

I somehow had a primer flip around in the process of seating, so it's upside down in the pocket. The brass is once-fired .458 Win. so I'd just as soon not throw it away if possible. What's the best way of getting it out safely, or is that not possible? I thought maybe it could be deactivated by soaking in water or something. Any thoughts?

As long as you use standard safety glasses, run it through your sizing/decapping die and "Forget about it"!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default deprime

Probably the safest is to put a drop of oil like Kroil or WD on the primer and let it sit for a day. Then just put it in the sizer/depriming die and wrap the whole unit in a towel and slowly deprime. I haven't seen it lately but I remember in some of the old manuals, or instructions for reloading that is exactly how they recommended doing it. Lawyers probably took it out. It is probably safer to deprime a live primer with the cup reversed than when in the correct position.

I had a wcc 7.62mm NATO round in a belt for the m-134, I had repacked for M-60 use that was turned around backwards. I saw it about 20 rounds away in the belt feeding into my door gun. Luckily I caught it before it made into my gun.

I've had a few turned around backwards in the millions of rounds I've reloaded, these you can feel when you seat them through the handle of the press.

The only time I ever had a primer go off on me while reloading was when a couple of fellows I knew had a Lee loader that you used a hammer to seat the primers, SCARED the heck out of me. I was told that it was obvious that I had no knowledge of reloading, as that hardly ever happened to them.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Talking old Lee Loader surprise

A crosswise primer in an original Lee Loader powered by a 2 pound double jack was always good for a few surprises!

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    A crosswise primer in an original Lee Loader powered by a 2 pound double jack was always good for a few surprises!

George: I have no idea how many thousands of rounds of ammo I had reloaded in my life at the point when this happened, that was nearly 40 years ago, and I still think about it.

The funny thing was, I just knew that anyone selling that kind of trash to reloaders could not survive. Was I ever wrong.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have had a couple loaded backwards over the years, and just put on the safety glasses and deprimed as usual with no problems. I think if it went off, it would just vent out the bottom of your press anyway. would be loud for sure, and that little anvil in the primer would likely fly off someplace.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Oil should deactivate it temporarially, but no matter, just decap it carefully at arms length. If it goes off, the onliest thing that will happen is you'll be surprised.

It's not gonna blow up your garage. I've put cases in a vice and popped them off with a nail and a hammer. But, like I said it was always a big surprise, even when I was expecting it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I absolutely agree there is no reason to soak in oil. I have de-capped a few of these myself over the last 30 or so years, and have had no problem just running it through the resizer/decapper die on my Rock Chucker. Even if it did pop, this set up is plenty strong to contain it. I have never had any problem, tho. Always wear safety glasses, regardless.

My first center-fire reloader was an original Lee Loader. I set off a primer in my living room seating it with the ol' hammer. After my wife nearly killed me because it was so loud and scared the crap out of both of us, I scraped enough together to buy a decent reloader. The amazing thing is they are still selling those things to dummies that will still buy them (like I did ). I know a couple of guys that reload at the range using these for certain rifle cartridges they are tweaking in, so they actually have some value..........
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Being a "dummy", as Hawken54 puts it so elequently, I have memories of setting off a primer or two on the kitchen table many moons ago. I don't think of the Lee Loaders as "trash". I collect the kits when the mood strikes me. I got my start in reloading with a second hand Lee Loader for 30-30 and a part can of 3031. I still have the Loader and still have the (empty) can. As for depriming a backwards primer, all the above advice is good, but the oil is not necessary. You aren't depriming an artillery shell.

Default depriming

Absolutely not an artillery round for sure. However! public forums are just that so the most conservative advice is usually prudent. Very doubtful a backwards primer will go off from the pin pushing it out. BUT.... two things. (1) If it pops out with any velocity and by freak of "aim" it hits on the anvil just right it might go off.... very unlikely but possible... therefore the safety glasses and towel around the reloader. (2) If it's still a live primer when it pops out unless you have a near foolproof primer catcher the thing is going to go flying somewhere. I hate live primers laying around!

Default Safety First

General safety point... one should be wearing safety glasses at all times when reloading, not just when you're about to do something like pop out a live primer. Eyes cannot be replaced and how are you going to shoot that ammo if you're blind?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    General safety point... one should be wearing safety glasses at all times when reloading, not just when you're about to do something like pop out a live primer. Eyes cannot be replaced and how are you going to shoot that ammo if you're blind?
    JOAT:
    Thatís a good point.
    Iíd be restricted to sound shots, and I donít hear so good.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I've seated about a million primers correctly and several in backwards. I have deprimed many correctly seated and backwards seated (live) primers. I have never set off a primer while seating or unseating any of them. They are just hard to snap. That said though I do always wear good safety glasses (prescriptions now) when seating or handling any primers.

I once had a backwards seated primer in a factory W-W 45 Auto round that failed to fire. I pulled the bullet, saved the powder, pushed the primer out and reseated it correctly then put in the original powder and bullet (after resizing and expanding the case) and fired the round into the same group with the rest of the box. I have disassembled many rounds of my own (and others) making to salvage the case and bullet, simply because the primer was up side down.

I have yet to accidently set off a primer seating or unseating with any of the various equipment for doing so. I'll probably do so tonite now that I've bragged about it!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I have yet to accidently set off a primer seating or unseating with any of the various equipment for doing so. I'll probably do so tonite now that I've bragged about it!
    Murphy:

I dunno. Your lucks been pretty good lately.

Welcome back
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.