Thread: Any one seeing pink?

Question Any one seeing pink?

I have a couple of kids visiting this week end. With the second red run coming on very slowly, I was hoping to get them into some pinks. Anyone seen them in any of the usual spots south of Los Anchorage?
    Thanks,
    Dave

Default Caught a few last night

Went down to Hope last night, they are starting. Coming through in 1's and 2's. Personally i was trying to get my wife excited about catching some but i was the only one who caught any. Very few and far between, imho not worth taking anyone down there yet.

Default hope

I also fished hope last night but I caught 20 or so, and had at least another 20 on. I also wanted the wife to catch some of them but she was not feeling well. I had a blast catching and releasing them though. They were coming in STRONG with the evening tide.

Default Gear For Pinks

Whats the best lure/tackle to use for pinks? I want to take a couple boys down and let them have some fun/success!

I just got back from Hope Sunday night. As fisherman222 states, the pinks are coming in with the high tides in bigger numbers every tide. Anything shiny works and a bright pink or red fly about 18 inches in front of some weight works really well. By the end of the week you'll be able to walk across on them.

With all that C&R going on, this post from another thread might bear repeating:

Get rid of the trebles and put on the siwash.

Break the barb off the siwash, then take a pair of pliers and curve the point toward the shank about 5 degrees from parallel, then offset the point 5-10 degrees from the plane of the hook. The offset helps you to hook more fish, the curved-in point will help you to retain them better during the fight, and the absence of the barb will facilitate their release. Especially since this is a pink year... you may find yourself sorting thru a dozen or two pinks for every silver.

Carry a de-hooker stick and you can instantly release those fish using an elegant no-touch technique that can't be beat. It will make your life a LOT easier... and the fish's too!

Click below for a pic demo of how easily it works:
    http://www.ifish.net/forum/showflat....1035987&page=1
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

What tide time do y'all use for Hope? Add an hour or so to Anchorage???

~AK~

Anyone know where to find the pinks on POW?

thanks Capt G

I just use the Anchorage times, its close enough for pinks.

Question treble hook removal

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician
    With all that C&R going on, this post from another thread might bear repeating:
    Get rid of the trebles and put on the siwash.
    Break the barb off the siwash, then take a pair of pliers and curve the point toward the shank about 5 degrees from parallel, then offset the point 5-10 degrees from the plane of the hook. The offset helps you to hook more fish, the curved-in point will help you to retain them better during the fight, and the absence of the barb will facilitate their release. Especially since this is a pink year... you may find yourself sorting thru a dozen or two pinks for every silver.
    how can you take the treble hook off of a vibrax?

Cheeky - They come with a single-hook when you buy them. Just slide the treble off and replace it with the single.

-Brian

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by B_M
    Cheeky - They come with a single-hook when you buy them. Just slide the treble off and replace it with the single.

-Brian
    What? Don't understand this response at all.

Default changing hooks on vibrax

The packaging of the vibrax lures contain a single hook, while the lure itself is equipped with the standard treble hook. You can just slide off the treble from the split ring like taking a key of its key ring, then replace it with the provided single hook.

Don't know how they package the ones in AK, but all the ones here in the PNW come with the treble permanently looped into the spinner wire... no split ring for easy hook removal and exchange.

No big deal, the trebles are worthless anyway and can be sacrificed. Just take a pair of pliers and bend the hook eye back and forth several times until it snaps. Or just smush the round eye into an exaggerated oval... keep smushing until about the time the eye has been deformed to look like two parallel wires, and it will snap right at the apex.

This beats trying to cut them and dulling your wire cutters or accidentally damaging the spinner wire.

I prefer adding a split ring to extend the siwash back just a bit further... the extra hangback exposes the hook point a litle better, especially for those non-committal strikers.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician
    Don't know how they package the ones in AK, but all the ones here in the PNW come with the treble permanently looped into the spinner wire... no split ring for easy hook removal and exchange.

No big deal, the trebles are worthless anyway and can be sacrificed. Just take a pair of pliers and bend the hook eye back and forth several times until it snaps. Or just smush the round eye into an exaggerated oval... keep smushing until about the time the eye has been deformed to look like two parallel wires, and it will snap right at the apex.

This beats trying to cut them and dulling your wire cutters or accidentally damaging the spinner wire.

I prefer adding a split ring to extend the siwash back just a bit further... the extra hangback exposes the hook point a litle better, especially for those non-committal strikers.
    ok, thanks. i did that and it worked because the vibrax i have, have a wire loop no split ring.

Default What about off tide?

Question about low/off tide on the pinks at hope. Tomorrow I am headed down there with some out of town company. The high tide is early, like 2 or 3 am, then again at around 5 pm. We will be fishing there much of the day, so I am wondering if the pinks will be in there any time during the middle of the day, and even at low tide. Also, have never been to hope, so any advice on where to go would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

If the pinks are in, as they should be by now, then there are good numbers resting in places, like under the bridge and fishing will be good even at off tide. Not as good as right at of right after high tide but the fish will still be there. I've fished it every year since 98 and caught them during off tide during the height of the run, Good Luck! BTW, despite what people were telling me last week end, you can't keep pinks hooked other than in the mouth.

what are the regulations for hope?
    is the river/creek named hope or is it something else?

Here is the link: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...SCkenaipen.pdf

Its Resurrection Creek, 3 salmon a day, 3 in possession, no snagging.