Thread: Be Kareful where you Kyak...:D

Default coming for a visit in aug.

hi, COMING TO ALASKA IN AUG. don't like the tourist thing, although i will be one, i would like to see wild life and kayak on some nice lake, do you have any suggestions, ? thanks for your time...
    miked from l.a.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    hi, COMING TO ALASKA IN AUG. don't like the tourist thing, although i will be one, i would like to see wild life and kayak on some nice lake, do you have any suggestions, ? thanks for your time...
    miked from l.a.
    Get a Milepost, rent a car big enough to sleep in, and spend a week or so driving the road system. Opportunities will present themselves.
    Be ready.

Look at tangle lakes. There will be hunters most every where there are wildlife near the road system that time of year so remember that Alaska Law requires you not to interfere with any hunt in progress. Give them a wide birth and enjoy the scenery.

Default kayak lakes

the Kenai canoe trails system is a good choice for getting away from the crowds. Many of the lakes are seldom visited. I know of some great places to spend a few hours or a week long trip with good chances at wildlife and very few if any other people around.
    Although the desgnated trails encompass over 120 miles of interconnected trails and lakes, there are hundreds of other lakes in this area that can be reached. I use kayaks more and more for getting into these lakes. I can carry a inflatable kayak and then when I reach a lake, pump it up and get to paddling and fishing,,
    look at a map of the Kenai wildlife refuge and you will see literally hundreds of lake and river options.
    http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/Kenaicanoesystem.html
    The Nancy lakes area is great.. Lots of options and places to get away from the tourist crowds.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Just be glad...

We don't have 20' Great White in our waters, cuz the 30' Orcas scared them away..

Alaskacanoe

How good is the fishing in say the Nancy Lakes area and what type and size of fish could one expect to catch there in late June-August? Thanks.

Brad

Ishmael

What is a "Milepost". Thanks.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by bradspeck@cox.net View Post
    Ishmael

What is a "Milepost". Thanks.

Brad
    What Jim said....

It's pretty much every commercial service along every major road and route in and to Alaska.
    You'll find it invaluable for road trippin the Great Land.

Food, gas, gear, cheap showers, beer, kayaks, fishing spots, campgrounds, trails - it's all in there. Just not necessarily in that order...

Get it before you visit. It will help a LOT with planning a veritable smorgashboard of DIY adventure. Vital gear. Mission critical.

You are probably gonna want The Big Red Book too...

I have a copy of "The Big Red Book" copyright 1992. Do you guys think it is current enough? Thanks for all the help.

Brad
    Brad S

"Current enough" is kind of a broad question...but it should be fine. Landforms and rivers aren't gonna change too much in 15 years.
    You can always update it here if you really feel the need. No sales tax in Anchorage.
    Believe me, you can buy Anything you want in Anchorage...