Thread: .348

Default .348

Has anyone used a .348 on anything with size ?

Nope, my father in law wont let me touch his but if some one wants to lend me one I will use it on anything up here.

Ray Mcnutt, alaska master guide used a model 71 winchester .348 with some success as a brown bear rifle. I believe Ray had some bear bites on the wood stock of this rifle, although I can't verify this because Ray has passed on. I do know that in later years Ray changed to a .358 Norma Mag. as his backup rifle. Can't remember what model though I did shoot it.

I have a .348 as well. Finding bullets is an expensive adventure in itself. The gun was my grandfathers whitetail gun of choice. I don't think he liked tracking deer....
    I took it out deer hunting last year, thought it would bring me some luck, it didn't but it is a fine handling weapon.

I don't currently own one, but have in the past. I have lots of brass for forming cases for my 450 Alaskan, but Rombi is right about the search for bullets- especially heavy ones. The original model 71 action is buttery smooth- smoother even than the action on my older 1886's. Late model Browning 71's and 1886's are nowhere near as smooth, but still smooth.

I never shot anything bigger than elk with mine, but have whapped several moose and elk with the ballistically similar 358 Winchester. No flashy kills like a fast magnum, but no long tracking jobs either. Just good workmanlike service. A rancher friend on Kodiak has carried and used his for decades, including dropping several brown bears. He's been around lots of other rifles and calibers, but continues to prefer his 348. He's using factory rounds as far as I know, but still reports great performance.

I'd pick up another one at the right price in a heartbeat however, even if it meant searching for bullets. It's that good.

I've killed two bull moose with my vintage Winchester: a paddle horn and a 63" specimen. I used the Hornady 200 gr. bullets on each. Worked just fine. I've bought some 250 gr. Barnes originals but never even loaded one yet.

At the velocities of the 348, those Barnes originals are superb performers. I've also use Hawks, which are basically the same thing in a different box.

Default .348

Buffalo Bore Ammo makes some quality modern ammo for the .348