Thread: Finaly recovered a TSX!

Default Finaly recovered a TSX!

I have been using Barnes TSX's for all of my deer and elk hunting for a few years now and have never yet been able to recover a single one. Untill now. My wife and I went elk hunting a couple of weeks ago. After a long walk-about I saw and shot a small bull elk with my Departed Father in law's 300 win mag, using 180 gr TSX's at about 50 yrds. The bull was quartering towards me. My bullet broke the front shoulder and a rib, destroyed lungs and liver, penitrated a full stomache, and was found under the hide between the stomache and far hind leg. The total penitration was aproximately 37 inches. The bull ran about 20 yrds and dropped. TSX's are, in my opinion, one of the best large big game bullets available to north american hunters these days. Here is a couple of pics. The bullet did loose two of the four petals during the trip but they no doubt did there owne damage as schrapnel... Hope you guys enjoy the pictures because I was tickled pink to have found one.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...36-31_0091.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...39-30_0090.jpg

Default TSX

Awesome!!! Congratulations on the recovery of the bullet.

Thanks for posting the pictures...I'm envious. I'm still waiting to recover an X bullet from game that I have taken. The lousy things just go right through animals...a real design flaw.

Talking recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Thanks for posting the pictures...I'm envious. I'm still waiting to recover an X bullet from game that I have taken. The lousy things just go right through animals...a real design flaw.
    You put it good Doc...real design flaw. We just got back yesterday from our annual buffalo pilgramage where we harvested 5. And out of that many, we only found 2 Barnes X bullets that were 300gr, 458 cal. We should be finding them all according to some because of the lower SD, but alas, such is not the case. According to some, we should find them all under the hide on the entry side, lol. Good luck.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Great pictures, great bullet, love those TSX's. Use them in my 22-250 53gr, 257 100gr, 300 180gr and 416 350gr.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default TSX

I recovered this Barnes TSX after it went through both shoulder blades and became stuck under the hide.

Default TSX tough bullet

After killing the Cape with one banded solid, we shot a TSX at 15 feet into the shoulder tracking into the body. Recovered the bullet 4 feet back at the back of the the grass filled stomach. Only one petal was missing after blasting through bone and a whole bunch of cud. 450 grain TSX at 2450 fps from a Lott.

A really tough bullet with great performance.

i've recovered about a dozen or more i'd guess over the last nine years, hers a couple shot of some, the one that didn't open was two weeks ago on a ten foot six in brownie, the rest all came from brown/grizzly bears as well. the .338 bullet is from a moose though. the shinny bullet thats really pretty i fired into a lake and recovered it. they are all 350 grain .416 cal.
    pretty bummed about the one that didn't open, i'd have thought it'd have sailed on thru since it didn't mushroom,so it musta tumbled or something. just more ammo for the barnes haters. I'm pretty bummed about it as well, kinda a mean hit to the confidence level.

Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Smile question

Jake: On the 10 footer (nice bear by the way)....how dead did it kill the bear?

not as dead as the nosler that hit him the first two times.....the XXX was just insurance.
    Master guide 212

Default NP vs Barnes

Hard to beat the good ole partitions. They are still the standard to which I compare other bullets, still....the Barnes XXX usually still get's the first nod in my experience...with the NP not far behind. Mostly depends on how the individual rifle "digests" the projectile in question. I certainly wouldn't feel at a loss shooting NP's if that is what the rifle I was shooting shot the best.

Default xxx

BRWNBR,
    How far away was the bear when you shot it with the TSX that didn't open up all of the way and what velocities were you getting? Thanks.

Only one we ever recovered was out of my son's 06 two years ago. He made a 200 yard shot on a blacktail that was quartering away.
    We found the bullet underneath the shoulder hide on the opposite side. Great shot by my son and a great bullet.
    Interesting, this year most of the deer we killed were closer. Didnt recover any bullets but did notice evidence that the petals broke off and created secondary damage.
    150's from my sons 06 and 225's from my .338 WM
    Tennessee

that bullet was fired from 178 yards doing 2525 fps, near as i can figure the tip was flattened due to recoil in my mag and thats what kept it form opening, i have a real screwy email from barnes telling me how their bullets yaw alot out to 70 yards before they "go to sleep" and fly straight and a pile of other garbage, i can't belive they actually have a customer service department. Basicly they emailed me and told me i hit a branch...
    Master guide 212

Sometimes I am forced to think of "service" in the sense that we used it on the ranch. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    that bullet was fired from 178 yards doing 2525 fps, near as i can figure the tip was flattened due to recoil in my mag and thats what kept it form opening, i have a real screwy email from barnes telling me how their bullets yaw alot out to 70 yards before they "go to sleep" and fly straight and a pile of other garbage, i can't belive they actually have a customer service department. Basicly they emailed me and told me i hit a branch...
    Maybe the bullet did glance off something and it tumbled? We'll never know... But it makes interesting conversation.

Brian