Thread: Lyman 1200DPS digital powder system

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Cool Lyman 1200DPS digital powder system

Can any of you offer a review of this thing? When they first came out, a friend of mine had one and did not like it due to slow cycles and inconsistant powder weights being thrown. I did not use it myself, but trusted him enough that I did not buy one. Now I see that they have made some improvements to them and wondered if they are now worth the money. I think RCBS also sells someting similar. If it can throw within 2/10 gr every time, and do it faster than I can scoop powder out of a plastic cup and then trickle in the last 2 gr, then heck, I'm good with that. I have nothing against traditional powder measures when I use W760, W748 or RL7, but when I try it with 3031, RL15 or other long powders, I end up trickleing in the last few grains anyway, and that kind of defeats the purpose..........

I have one. Im pretty sure it is the older one. It is slow. But its accurate. It is just really sensitive and you need to keep it out of the wind, solid bench and what not. I reload in my garage, and when my unit heater kicks on, I gotta wait to use the scale till the heater kicks off.

You could probably use a powder thrower and tricklie in the last bit in about the same time that it takes the scale to throw a charge.

Changing powders in the scale is also kind of time consuming.

I dont think these are really worth the money.

THe only good thing is that you can make up a small experimental batch of loads with out having to fool with your regular thrower.

And of course the digital scale part is handy to check your powder thrower once in awhile.

If you find a deal on a used one then Id probably get it.

But you would probably be just as well off getting a small digital scale and trickling.

Why put up with the hassles? A good powder measure and knowing how to use it, puts me with-in 3/10 of a grain with the worst powders 4831, 4350 and I've never been able to tell the difference in the groups with trickled over thrown charges anyway. The Harrell's powder measure will spoil you, no batteries, you don't have to plug it in. It's repeatable, carry it out to the range with you, you can dial in the charge you want by counting the clicks.

http://www.harrellsprec.com/

Just my two cents. I just love the kiss principle

Just for giggles, here is acomparison between the RCBS and the Lyman, you might want to read.http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/1266096.htm
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Rimfirematt and Big Al, thanks for the honest input......... perhaps I will consider a top of the line powder measure. But Big Al, $180! If I rub the powder tube will a pretty Genie pop out to rub my back and shoulders while I reload!!?? And that was the "cheap" model! Holy powder and primers Bat Man! I guess when you put it in perspective, that aint really that bad..........I can remeber "back in the day" spending more than that at the bar on a really good Friday night.

Default Love my DPS II+

I got one of these when it was the DPS II. Now they have a DPS III that has a faster trickle and improved powder receptacle that makes it easier to change powders. I got the kit ($15 at Cabela's) to upgrade mine, great purchase. I happen to love this thing, I use it for reloading all rifle ammo where I'm particularly interested in accuracy as opposed to quantity of ammo (like .223 for plinking). I definitely think it's worth the money, though I don't know the price of the DPS III. If you find a good deal on a used DPS II, you can upgrade.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Can any of you offer a review of this thing? When they first came out, a friend of mine had one and did not like it due to slow cycles and inconsistant powder weights being thrown. I did not use it myself, but trusted him enough that I did not buy one. Now I see that they have made some improvements to them and wondered if they are now worth the money. I think RCBS also sells someting similar. If it can throw within 2/10 gr every time, and do it faster than I can scoop powder out of a plastic cup and then trickle in the last 2 gr, then heck, I'm good with that. I have nothing against traditional powder measures when I use W760, W748 or RL7, but when I try it with 3031, RL15 or other long powders, I end up trickleing in the last few grains anyway, and that kind of defeats the purpose..........
    I was wondering the same thing myself....

I had the PACT RCBS version, I got rid of it as too slow and difficult to calibrate. I never used it much.

I had to build a box to go over my other electronic scale, very succeptable to drafts, heater going on etc...

I do have a Harrel, Lyman, B&M, Lee, RCBS, Ohaus and a Lyman measure.

I use the B&M for H4831. Pretty darn close, I cycle the lever twice to the drop tube for H4831. Buffalo arms still has those as does ebay...montana arms makes a more refined version

If I trickle, I have an electric trickler set up right over the scale that works pretty good.

I scale check each load on the my long range rifle loads and the hunting loads, usually loaded in batches of 50. The rest is thrown, 5.56 short line stuff loaded on a Dillon, various military loadings, Star reloader for 45ACP.

Harrel works great, across most powders, as does the Lyman.

and..
    <<..........I can remeber "back in the day" spending more than that at the bar on a really good Friday night. >>>

or a really "bad" Friday. Especially when the bars were still open to 0500 and I went to work at 0730!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Rimfirematt and Big Al, thanks for the honest input......... perhaps I will consider a top of the line powder measure. But Big Al, $180! If I rub the powder tube will a pretty Genie pop out to rub my back and shoulders while I reload!!?? And that was the "cheap" model! Holy powder and primers Bat Man! I guess when you put it in perspective, that aint really that bad..........I can remeber "back in the day" spending more than that at the bar on a really good Friday night.

180.00? where do you see the 120 grain cap for that price? When I bought mine years ago it was over 200.00. I have a lot of powder measures I would like to sell that don't hold a candle (poor choice of words). You just can't believe how well made these measures are. Not to mention how close they hold to weight. I know that the guys that have tried mine have all bought them from Harrell, and I have never heard a complaint from one of these guys.

What sells them is watching me throw charge after charge and have them check on my 10-10 scales. I check every 5th charge, believe it to be a waste of time. It is one of those "set it, and forget it" deals.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I read every feedback on Midway on both the Lyman and RCBS. I bought the RCBS unit and it works wonderfully. Easy t set up and if you have a bunch of reloads, hit dispense and every time you put the pan on the tray, it dumps your charge of powder. In about the time it takes to seat a bullet by the way. I wish I had bought this years ago.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I have the DPS II now and have owned the RCBS in the past. The RCBS is faster, but the DPS II is cheaper. When loading rounds both of them take about the time it takes to grab a bullet and seat it to throw a charge, unless I'm loading big fat magnums. They both throw weights to within .1 grain and beep at you if there's a problem with the load (like you ran out of powder and it couldn't throw a full charge). I think the RCBS is easier to clean out if you are changing powders, but I like the way the Lyman packs up and has a cover for storage.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default tac 20 loads

I was set up for .270 win and .340, and found out that I needed smaller funnels and shell holders for my RCBS single stage, if I wanted to produce the tac .20. I decided to up grade and get a Lyman3, and I'm impressed! I checked the first dozen throws form the electronic dipenser with my manual and it was fine. When in the repeat mode it dispenses the same load once the pan is put back on the scale! alot faster than my old way of scooping and shaking!

Well, I decided to get myself a Christmas present and went ahead and bought the Lyman 1200 DPS III and of course had to fire it up for a test run last night! I must say, I wish I had bought one years ago, this thing works great and is much faster than I had expected. I dont think there is any way I could come close to matching the speed with my old way of scooping powder with my little lee dippers and then trickleing in the rest.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio