Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Goat cape

Default Mountain Goat cape

I'm looking for a lifesize goat cape. does anybody know where I can obtain one? My goat cape was ruined while in the tanning process.

Unfortunatly thats the trophy part of a Mt. Goat. If your looking for an entire Mt. Goat I'm afraid you may have a huge challenge.

What happened to your hide?

Did you get your goat off Baranof?

Sorry your situation raised more questions than answers.

I had one damaged while at the taxidermist back in the 70's. (Mice ate it?)

We had a terrible time finding a replacement.

He said any goat hide was selling for over $5000 in Japan.

I suspected that was where mine went. It was prime!

Finally some guy shot one, brought it in, then changed his mind about having a mount done because the horns were so small. He was glad to let the taxidermist have it.

I imagine that is your best best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Unfortunatly thats the trophy part of a Mt. Goat. If your looking for an entire Mt. Goat I'm afraid you may have a huge challenge.

What happened to your hide?

Did you get your goat off Baranof?

Sorry your situation raised more questions than answers.
    I'm not sure what happened to it. it hug in my house for four months before the hair started falling out. my taxidermist is going to make things right i'm just trying to help out. and yes i shot it between cold storage and rosenberg lake in sept. 06 I will never forget my hunt!!!!!

My brother has two half-life size goat capes. He's out of town for two weeks, but if you're intereted let me know and I'll put you in contact with him when he gets back.

holy cow do goat capes really get that much (5k)??? I probably shoulda worked a bit harder to get a goat, I was planning on selling the cape if I shot one... I guess there's always next year.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

WOW!!! Didnt know Goat cape went for that much. Didnt think it was legal to sell them either. Maybe next year I'll get another one and sell the cape to pay for all of my hunts for that year

Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

you just can't sell trophies, meaning antlers, horns, skulls and I believe bear pelts (in most units) someone please correct me if I'm wrong... I was told I could get ~$300 for a sheep cape and a bit less for a goat cape depending on the hair length.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Talking

I have seen several goat capes for sale in the past and they range from around $300-400. Lifesize go for around 1200-1500. There isn't as much demand for goats, likewise Dall sheep, compared to the Bighorn species. And goats, having more brittle hair, will lose some, regardless of the quality of tanning. Just the way it is. Good luck.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Goat Cape

I have one that is unbeatable. Shot in mid-October, hair is fantastic and it was prepared by a taxidermist in the field. Currently being tanned outside and will be back to AK shortly. $3000 it's yours. Gooch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow!

I don't I would want to sell that trophy for any amount of money. Beautiful goat.

kingfisherktn

Default nice goat

Gooch, what is the age and length of horn on your goat. He looks like a three or four year old by the angle of drop from his horn to bridge of nose, small bumpers, medium size body. Just curious for myself as the angle makes him look small. Great hair on that goat by the way. Would like to see some more pics if you've got em.

Default Selling hides

I 've been selling hides and capes for several seasons. I've gotten about 1200 for life-size sheep, $500 for capes. Traded one sheep life-size for a bear rug. I've even made a few bucks on caribou capes. It's legal and a great way to off-set some of your hunt costs.

Default Goat

MtnManDon't know too much about goats actually. It was 3-4 years old apparently and had 8.5" horns. We shot two the same day and the other was a 9" goat that seemed bigger body wise. The coat is amazing so we packed out both hides for full body mounts. What's a bumper?

Kingfisherktn, never have gotten rid of anything in my life but for the right $, I really need a surburban for POW! I did get a skiff by the way I will answer your e-mail shortly.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Tanned hides

Is there a difference between selling a tanned cape vs. one that is just fleshed and froze? Legally speaking of course, I know the $$ value is different.

Default goats

Mike, a bumper is the thickly padded membrane on the backside of the horn base.. On big adult males these bumpers are very pronounce and obvious. The older the billie the bigger the bumper, typically. You can tell your goat is young by several things and this is not to slam or degrade your goat in anyway.
    First, fairly small bases on the horn. On older billies these bases are much larger and carry higher up to where the horn kicks back.
    Small bumpers is another sign of young billies.
    Really a nice even white cape on your goat but usually the older billies have dark dirty stains around their flanks and appear to be more of a yellow color than pure white.
    Also, on your goat you can see how the bridge of his nose is concave and narrow. Older billies will have a fuller roman style nose.
    There are other things that can help tip a hunter off to identifying a mature billie such as comparing length of ear to length of their horns, etc,etc,.
    I don't want to come across as the goat expert here but have hunted my fair share and have made alot of mistakes on goats over the years judging them in the field and will tell you that I don't think there is any animal more difficult to judge and identify (is it male or female?) in Alaska than the mountain goat. The one thing that stands out in my mind about big billie goats which is the same for brown bears is that when you see a really big one YOU KNOW IT!! Big blocky body, good heavy bases that carry up, dirty rump, often by themselves but not always, big bumpers. Their just impressive.
    Again, nice goat with great hair. Hope you get your asking price but would be surprised. If you do I may have to put a couple of capes up for sale.

Default Goats

MtnMan,

No slam taken on the goat, I figured it was a young one. The other goat we shot is exactly as you described. Blocky, Square nose, huge black glands around the horns (bumpers I guess) and the horns, although they are only a half an inch longer, look twice as big. The other goat was also covered in poop on his back half. He was all alone and ruled the valley the way he pranced around. I would post a photo but it is pretty bloody. Mine was shot in a large group of nannies, kids, and small billies and the reason I took this one is we were able to watch them for a while and determine this one didn't belong to a kid. I figured I would only go once in my life so after we shot the other big boy this was too easy a shot to pass up on the herd.

Didn't plan on getting any $ for it but hey you never know. I am getting a full body mount for my lodge anyway so I don't care too much if I sell it. It was a great hunt but you guys can have 'em.

I appreciate all the info on the goats however, you have probably given lots of folks here lots of good info on what to look for. When we went F&G said look for ones with dirty rumps.

Gooch

Default Goat Cape Needed

Brian M,

Did your brother ever get back in town? I have a taxidermist who is looking for a goat cape.

Interested in the technique you all use to "cape" your goat or sheep? I imagine the value of the cape depends on the skills of the "skinner." Would be interested to see the various methods used and the pros and cons of each.....

Default To keep from losing any hair...

Use T.T.C. instead of Salt. You will lose NO hair, before during or after tanning. The stuff is really incredible with respect to keeping a hide from ruining.

Taylor

Here are some "bumpers"

Last edited by Marc Taylor; 01-08-2008 at 18:33. Reason: add picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast