Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Snowmaching Ptarmigan Gun???

Default Good Snowmaching Ptarmigan Gun???

Ok its a bit last to ask for opinions but here it goes. I recently bought a Judge 6" barrel by Taurus. For those of you unfamilar with this gun its shoots both .410 as well as 45/70 and holds 5 rounds. I was going to get the T/C contender with the .410/ 45/70 barrel but then decided to get this instead.
    I like the idea of the smaller gun (6" barrel vs. 12 or 14") Easier to carry and also holds more shots when you get into a flock.
    You think I messed up or I should be ok.

Just looking for opinions too late to change.

Thanks

How does it shoot? Have you patterned it to determine your max effective range. That will tell you more than anyone here who hasn't tried it.

Let us know what you think after you try it! Lots of folks would like to know.

Make sure and video the first time you torch off a 45/70 round I'd like to see that .
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default HUH??

I'd like to see that as well! The Judge is chambered for the short .410 and .45 LC not .45-70

Default .45 Long Colt not 45/70

Sorry its .410 / 45 Long Colt. not 45/70 my wrist are too delicate for that.

Mark

I carry a scoped Ruger 22/45 in a bandolier holster. My experience is that, at least with the crowd I run with, he who shoots first gets the game. A holstered handgun is faster to bring to bear than a rifle in a scabbard.

Unfortunately, a 22 LR isn't powerful enough, and it's accurate range (for ptarmigan) isn't much more than 35 yards.

I'm thinking real hard about upgrading to a Taurus Raging Hornet. It's a little bigger/bulkier/heavier than the Ruger, but it's reloadable (thus I can build the loads I prefer), and it sends a 45 grain load at 3 times the velocity of a 22 LR, twice the velocity as a 22 Mag, and likely with much better accuracy.

Compliment that with a longe range rifle in a scabbard chambered in 223 or better, and a 44 mag mounted on the cowling for recalcitrant moose, and you're set pretty well............

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    How does it shoot? Have you patterned it to determine your max effective range. That will tell you more than anyone here who hasn't tried it.

Let us know what you think after you try it! Lots of folks would like to know.
    Im with BrownBear on this one. I mean it will whack ptarmi's for sure, but you need to find out your range. Pattern it out and let us know. It sounds interesting.

My experience is the Contender shoots more like a real 410, pattern-wise.

The handguns with rifling tend to "swirl" the pattern which opens up the shot pattern, greatly reducing effective range, making it more of a snake gun.

Does the "Judge" have a choke like the Contender?

This guy says, "about 12 feet".
    http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Judge.htm

dangit, double posted.
    Last edited by rimfirematt; 11-21-2007 at 16:18. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Unfortunately, a 22 LR isn't powerful enough, and it's accurate range (for ptarmigan) isn't much more than 35 yards.
    35 yards is a pretty decent distance for ptarmis' but certainly not that hard to master once you find a load your 22 likes and you practice with it alot. Me and my freind use scoped model 41's and regularly hit them at 50. And they go down. Sometimes you will nick one and then you got to chase it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm thinking real hard about upgrading to a Taurus Raging Hornet. It's a little bigger/bulkier/heavier than the Ruger, but it's reloadable (thus I can build the loads I prefer), and it sends a 45 grain load at 3 times the velocity of a 22 LR, twice the velocity as a 22 Mag, and likely with much better accuracy.
    I think your gonna just blow ptarmigan up with a hornet. I tried this theory with a 223 (reduced loads) once so I know. Shoot a ptarmigan with a 22 mag or 17hmr. It really screws them up. You can load the hornet to 22 mag velocities, but at that point you might as well just get a 22 mag. Unless you carried your ptarmi loads and some hotter loads, then you can whittle your your 3 gun snowmachine down to two by eliminating the 223. OH yeah, the hornet is not a very accurate cartridge out of most rifles. It is very finicky to load. I bet it would shoot like junk out of a pistol.

Also I got one of those eberlestock X-1 backpacks. It caries a rifle very nice, as well as keeps most of it covered and takes all of a second to draw it. It is really sweet for snowmachining.

Here is a pic from last year. This was cool, I spotted these in a valley. I rode above them, went prone, and WHACK,WHACK,WHACk....... From probably 60 yards. They never knew what was going on. IM holding my 41 but its hard to see.

Lightbulb Snowmobile gun for small Game

Best put money on an “accurate” .22 LR.

Appears as if you’re weighing in on hand-gunning mostly small game, riding a snowmobile, and seeking some accepted wisdom on the sort. Some amusing posts on the theme so far… A few evidently having little to no clue!

An accurate .22 LR commonly means something set up for target or match work. This accuracy is often had at a higher price tag on the gun, maybe extra expenditure on some optics/sights, more practice (figuring what ammo the gun likes for conditions, function, precision, etc. as well as your capability), and let’s not forget the all important good ways of caring for it or holstering in the frozen field.

Did you go wrong w/ the Taurus “Judge” as a prime Ptarmi-gun? YES, is my response… meaning there are more suitable choices… NONE of which are high-power centerfires!!!

2 ½" .410 shotshell in a handgun is intended for snakes, halibut, and 2-leggers at very close ranges.

.22 mag., & both .17 rimfires (though a most proficient rimfire favorite in long gun variety) will not perform on small game at rimfire handgun confines any better than the .22 LR.

Get yourself a nice target or match .22 LR revolver or auto.
    Just my piece…

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I considered the judge, myself. I think it's a great idea. In the longer barrel, it makes for a dual purpose handgun. Bear defense, and hunting ptarmigan, spruce hens. etc. You can also use .410 for home defense.

But, I elected to get a 44 Mag. instead, because I was already set up to hand load the .44 with hard cast bullets. For hunting small game, my 22 Mag. rifle should fill the bill.

I sure that what is best is somewhat subjective, and I betcha you made a good choice.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    ......I think your gonna just blow ptarmigan up with a hornet. I tried this theory with a 223 (reduced loads) once so I know. Shoot a ptarmigan with a 22 mag or 17hmr. It really screws them up. You can load the hornet to 22 mag velocities, but at that point you might as well just get a 22 mag. Unless you carried your ptarmi loads and some hotter loads, then you can whittle your your 3 gun snowmachine down to two by eliminating the 223. OH yeah, the hornet is not a very accurate cartridge out of most rifles. It is very finicky to load. I bet it would shoot like junk out of a pistol....
    I've heard all that before, and it sounds true. But I also have a friend who has a Raging Hornet, and he claims it's really accurate.

But I haven't seen any photos of birds he's shot, either......

I've taken ptarmigan with the 22/45 in the past. I think I was missing too much. I thought I might be having problems with the wind, because it always seemed "breezy" or downright windy when I was shooting at birds. After that I engaged in some consuming and expensive trials with all the ammo brands I could find in town. I've found that Remington Vipers shoot best in all four of the 22s I own, but haven't tried them in the field after this discovery. Maybe what I need is a bit of shooting at the range, then a few runs in the hills with the snowmobile?

....Also I got one of those eberlestock X-1 backpacks. It caries a rifle very nice, as well as keeps most of it covered and takes all of a second to draw it. It is really sweet for snowmachining.....
    That part that pokes down below the waistbelt doesn't interfere when seated on a snowmobile seat?

It would be really neat to be able to easily carry a scoped 10/22 (which is really short) in a backpack.

They even offer 10/22s in 22 magnum, but I suspect you'd still be splattering birds.

The part that sticks down wont bother you while riding. Im usually up on a knee or what not on a snowmachine with it, but that being said I used it this fall 4 wheeling where I tend to sit more, and didnt notice anything. This was with a standard length 22 rifle. My dad who was skeptical tried my pack once then bought one for himself.

One good thing about snowmaching and shooting ptarmi's is that you have time, (well if your freinds arent being jerks) and a host of shooting positions available.

I like laying prone resting over my pack, or kneeling on the snow resting on the snowmachine seat. Collapsibale shooting sticks are easy to pack and work great too.

I had a 22/45 ruger once. It was a pretty good pistol. It is a challenge to master it in stock form. Take care of that gritty trigger. Drop a volquartsen trigger kit in. https://www.volquartsen.com/vc//page...tems.jsp?id=19 ITS WORTH IT. What kind of optics are you using mark?

Oh yeah, they got rid of the 10/22 magnum. See my post below about 10/22 magnum prices!

Id like to add that my last post might have been misleading about the use of the magnum rimfires. Hit them in the head, and they will still be fit for eating.

I'm hoping to try out my FN PS90 on them this winter. I expect it might tear up birds and squirrel sized critters though. I usually carry a Ruger MK II, the one with 7" barrel and target sights. It is very accurate, much more than me, I think I need to practice head shots more!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    .......I had a 22/45 ruger once. It was a pretty good pistol. It is a challenge to master it in stock form. Take care of that gritty trigger. Drop a volquartsen trigger kit in. https://www.volquartsen.com/vc//page...tems.jsp?id=19 ITS WORTH IT....
    Thanks for that great reference! I should have done some research long ago on that. I've been cursing that trigger from the start.

....What kind of optics are you using mark?....
    It's a 2x Burris.

....Oh yeah, they got rid of the 10/22 magnum. See my post below about 10/22 magnum prices!...
    I wonder why they did that? I would think a 10/22 mag stainless would sell like wildfire.

MY wife is terribly afraid snakes and we will be retiring and moving south in the near future.

After seeing this thread I decided the "Judge" might just make a good snake gun.

So I went out and looked at a couple "Judge's".

Then I did some internet research. And after reading all that,

I ain't buying no ****ed Tarusus.

My wife is deadly with her S&W 640 so I think we will stick with that.

As for your Peetarmigan problem..I have used a Ruger (now Mark III?) for years. Put a good Leupold on it and get a rest.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

bustedknee:
    What didja find out?
    Pint me in the right direction.
    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've got a Springfield Armory M6 in 410 / 22. Nice compact rifle that can be broken down.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post

Then I did some internet research. And after reading all that,

I ain't buying no ****ed Tarusus.

Dont believe everything you read on the net, I have 3 taurus pistols and dont have problems with any of them. There are many satisfied Taurus customers out there.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast