Thread: Spotting Scope... Leupold HD and Pentax 65EDII

Default Spotting Scope... Leupold HD and Pentax 65EDII

I'm buying a spotting scope.... am considering Leupold 12x40x60HD and the Pentax 65EDII with the 20x60 zoom. Primary use is for hunting, birding, and digiscoping. Should be semi-rugged and reliable, and produce pictures that I can be proud of, if I do my part.

Opinions....

I would say the PENTAX hands down. They are waterproof, fogproof, lifetime warranty and take 1.25 inch astro eyepieces of which you have hundreds to choose from. It is first class glass. It will be an excellent choice for digiscoping as well as hunting. But, you'd be better off with fixed power eyepieces for digiscoping. With the PENTAX you have that option. Use the zoom for hunting and get a couple nice wide angle fixed ep's for digiscoping. The PENTAX XW series eyepieces are the top of line the astro eyepieces and are threaded for camera adaptors as well.

I have the PF65EDA II and have 3 different eyepieces for it. The XW14 gives 28x and 70 degree FOV. Superb combo. The XF 8.5 at 46x and 60 fov and a WO Zoom 17-52x. I am selling the XF 8.5mm since I got the zoom.

Check out this forum for the scoop on digscoping with the PENTAX scopes.
    http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=396

Do some research at birdforum.net. Lots of good guys over there you can talk to.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default I'll second Snyd

It seems we may be the two man show when it comes to Pentax. Perry got me on to this scope and I have been pleased with the performance. I don't have the eyepieces that he has got, but my setup is very impressive right out of the box. In comparing your options, I'd go for the Pentax all the way.

-Buck

I forgot to add.... I live in Fairbanks so if anyone wants to check out the PENTAX PF 65EDA II just let me know. I've got the following eyepieces. Wouldn't mind trying out some others if anyone has any 1.25 inch astro eyepieces.

PENTAX XW14 (28x)
    PENTAX XF8.5 (46x) - for sale
    William Optics Zoom II 17-52x (wide angle zoom)
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again