Thread: Mink Question

Default Mink Question

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on trapping mink without using steel traps or snares. I have a little area right near my house that has tracks everywhere, I mean everywhere. I have really nice neighbors (not anti hunting, trapping) with dogs, and prefer not to accidentally get one. I donít think it would be much of a problem, but just in case ya know. I know mink traps are pretty small and wouldn't hurt a dog, but to keep our good relationship, I would prefer for them not to return a trap of mine attached to their dog. I trap, and have a decent line, but over the last few years have found it difficult to notice all the sign on that little stretch of water, and not do anything about it. Mink are curious, but at the same time cautious, so Iím not sure how effective a small live trap would be. If I cannot find a solution, I wonít set traps. Any ideas? I have a few, but want to see what other people think! Thanks.

Default mink

What I have done in the past is to use a live trap. I had an area where a lady had pet rabbits and lots of mink. she asked if I could get rid of the mink without killing rabbits. So I used the live traps and let the rabbits go when I cought them. I seen a couple of them for sale on craigslist yesterday. Good luck.

Default Mink

Thanks. I wasn't sure how well that would work, but it appears to work. Did you use fish as bait in the trap? Any special techniques such as concealing the trap, placement, or trap prep? Again thanks.

Default unlikely, but

I made an accidental mink catch once using a racoon set I was using for the same reasons you are talking about. I used a standard wheel from a car, set over a #2 coilspring. put some foil over the pan, and baited it. The wheel works as an excellent drag for coons, but I was surprised to see a mink anchored there one day.

never had a dog put a paw down through the hub hole.

Maybe you could try building a "weasel" box/cubby out of scrap plywood. The entrance hole should prevent any accidental catches other than target species. Mink are very curious and I don't see any reason why a mink wouldn't check the box out.

That is a great idea. I was thinking something along that line. Would be able to use traps, by concealing it in the box. My buddy gave me two live traps to try. If I get any kind of response, I may try a few boxes. I have a nice big shop and plenty of scrape wood lying around. If any thign would give me another project! Could build it with a sliding top, or just an open top and set into a hole in the stream bank. I'll toy with it, and let you guys know the results.

Been looking through the post and seen this, sorry its so late in the game as far as time goes.

I live in a cage trapping only state. I use duke model 1105 for mink on my line. I make my sets at bottlenecks and at the ends of beachs where the beach meets the water at the narrowest point. I use Muskrat meat as bait, a whole muskrat cut into 7 pieces. I wire the bait to the bottom of the cage just behind the pan. Keeps critters from being able to pull at the bait from outside the cage. I also dig out the ground just a bit at the pan location for it will freeze to the ground and I put a smal dab of ground up aged mink glands in the area. The size of a pea basically. I cover the whole cage so that the only area open is the door. I use rocks and wood debri to cover the sides and top, this also helps with the mink not being able to grab at the bait from the side. Not saying they have not moved the debri to try :0)
    A mink will not pass up a hole to investigate, and this set creates a great mock hole for them.
    So far this season I have picked up 57 mink off of 45 cages out. Not to mention an uncountable amount of weasels and 1 marten with these sets. Good luck.

the duke cage 1105 should run you about 20 to 25 buck. I buy them direct at wholesale in bulk buys but you should be able to get them up there. If not, send me an email or PM and I can help you out.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

try a tree set with a longspring #1.5 or #2 use a can of oil packed tuna as bait. You could also try a cubby set with a 220 conibear and a very small cubby with the oil packed tuna, the trick is oil packed tuna. nothing smells worse, thus it works.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    try a tree set with a longspring #1.5 or #2 use a can of oil packed tuna as bait. You could also try a cubby set with a 220 conibear and a very small cubby with the oil packed tuna, the trick is oil packed tuna. nothing smells worse, thus it works.
    You will have luck with the tree set or pole set you can catch them in Marten set very well. A wood box or paper box and a 110 or 120 look at how Marten are being trapped with a pole set up off the ground and try it. I have caught lots this way.