Thread: POW Elk ?

Default POW Elk ?

I have heard about the deer and bear. Are there huntable #s of elk on POW? I here rumors but does anybody know? What part of the island would you see any?

I've never heard of any down there. In SE the only legal elk hunting is on Etolin and Zarembo Islands. (I think??)

I have yet to see one there, or see proof of one taken on POW. Lots of people say they are there. Be nice to use one of my deer tags for a big elk.

Yes there is elk on POW and they are legal to hunt. The Elk have also moved to Kupreanof Island and Wrangell Island. This was confirmed a few years ago. However don't plan on any elk hunts just yet: The elk are few and far between on the other islands. Hunting elk on POW, Kupreanof or Wrangell would be like going out on a big foot expedition! So far most of the elk sign/sightings that I am aware of are on the northern side of POW and the southern end of Kupreanof.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
    Yes there is elk on POW and they are legal to hunt.
    Huh. I suppose you learn something new every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Huh. I suppose you learn something new every day!
    page 42 and 44 cover the taking of elk in GMU 2 & 3.

But I wouldn't make a special trip just for the elk that swam off of Etolin and Zarembo island!

Default Huntable Elk

There are huntable Elk on Afognak and Strawberry Islands. Don't know how difficult getting a permit is though.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
    Yes there is elk on POW and they are legal to hunt. The Elk have also moved to Kupreanof Island and Wrangell Island. This was confirmed a few years ago. However don't plan on any elk hunts just yet: The elk are few and far between on the other islands. Hunting elk on POW, Kupreanof or Wrangell would be like going out on a big foot expedition! So far most of the elk sign/sightings that I am aware of are on the northern side of POW and the southern end of Kupreanof.

You are quite right Capn, last year the local biologist confirmed the taking of elk on the north end near Red Bay. We are always looking while deer hunting but as of yet haven't seen any sign.

kingfisherktn

the locals talk about them...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Theres a few

Every year you hear reports of Elk sightings on Kupreanof, Mitkof, POW and Wrangell island. Once the biologists saw that the elk were spreading they opened areas off of Etolin and Zarembo for a general season elk. It wouldn't really be worth targeting them but they are around. I think since the opening of the general season only a couple have actually been shot by deer hunters. They have been spreading farther over the past few years. While working in Kake a few summers ago people were reporting elk on the Kake road system.

Default Thanks

Thanks guys, I was heading there for the 1st time next week and wondered what the chances were of seeing any. The reg book says one elk is legal. I figured there must be a few if you are allowed either sex.
    Hopefully there will be some deer left to keep me busy.

Default POW and Elk

The reason that POW has a season is that after many meeting about the Elk transplanting on Etolin and the proposed plant on POW .... it was decided that Elk were not welcome on POW. We wanted an open season year-round on all Elk. Enforcement said that would not work so they gave us any Elk during the Deer hunting season.

No Elk have been officially reported taken (but like posted above there have been rumors). You do not have to punch a Deer tag like the other rumor says. Deer tags are for Deer. A non-resident does need an Elk tag to take an Elk anywhere in AK. Residents don't need anything. The bag limit is 1 Elk on POW (cow, calf or bull). You must report within 5 days to ADF&G your Elk kill.

There have been Elk sighting rumors for many years now. None have ever been sighted by ADF&G or enforcement (or USFS). We had a Trooper that flew a Cub many hours over POW for several years recently and never sighted any Elk.

I have never talked with anyone that has ever seen an Elk or an Elk track. Even though I have heard the same rumors every year, also.

Moose sightings have been substantiated over the years, though. Moose hair on a rig that collided with one near Thorne Bay years ago. One small paddle head filmed at the 12 Mile Arm tide flats and one big mature Bull killed (illeagle) near Hollis. If it's not listed in the reg book you cannot take it.

Default Muskeg

How was the hunting trip? I passed you on the 10th as we were on the way to the ferry, but didn't get a chance to stop.

kingfisherktn

Default the rut

Kingfisher .....

It was good. Got in some loads of firewood and did some hunting. Saw allot of Deer and took a big Buck and a nice Forky. I used the call on both of them. Had a Bear come on the porch one night and try to take my little buck. The shot of pepper spray worked.

You should have stopped in for a cup of coffee ..... I looked through the posts when I got back today and saw you did good, I like hunting during this time.

Some one reported seeing an Elk cross the road in the Hollis area !!!!! I think they were on the way to the ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Kingfisher .....

It was good. Got in some loads of firewood and did some hunting. Saw allot of Deer and took a big Buck and a nice Forky. I used the call on both of them. Had a Bear come on the porch one night and try to take my little buck. The shot of pepper spray worked.

You should have stopped in for a cup of coffee ..... I looked through the posts when I got back today and saw you did good, I like hunting during this time.

Some one reported seeing an Elk cross the road in the Hollis area !!!!! I think they were on the way to the ferry.
    I guess we just missed him. lol

You were in your truck when we passed you, I didn't see any coffee hanging out the window.

kingfisherktn