4 5.97%
  • Kodiak

9 13.43%
  • Hoyt

18 26.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to get a new bow...

Default Going to get a new bow...

After the first of the year and start shooting agin, been looking around and come to these choices, whats your thoughts?

You forgot Bowtech.

Default BowTech

BowTech! BowTech! BowTech!

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I'm looking for a new bow as well, and the advice that I hear over and over again is to buy what feels best to you. Don't go into the shop with a particular brand or model in mind, but shoot a lot of bows and buy the one that feels right. As for me, I'm going to start by looking at the Kodiak, Diamond, Bowtech, and possibly Hoyt bows at Archer's Den and Fletchers. Not sure what I'll actually buy.

Default Another write in for Bowtech

I've been out of bowhunting for 13 years, so my opinion on this shouldn't carry a lot of weight. Once I decided that I wanted to get a bow and get back in the sport, I did a lot of internet research on almost every manufacturer. Bowtech and Mathews stood out for me. I shot a few of each and liked them both. I ended up getting a Bowtech because I could get the one I liked for $275 less than a Mathews with similar stats. From what I've read and had people tell me, you couldn't go wrong with either.

Black Widow

I'm not trying to threadjack... Sounds like Bowtech is a good buy. Which model would be good for Alaska? Are there any good models under $500? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    I'm not trying to threadjack... Sounds like Bowtech is a good buy. Which model would be good for Alaska? Are there any good models under $500? Thanks.
    I looked at a Bowtech last night at Sportsman's Wharehouse. I don't remember which model it was, but it was a 2007 model. They are starting to the 2008 models in, so this one was either $75 or $100 off (I think original price was $550). I didn't shoot it.

I might start looking for a replacement for my 12 year old Browning soon. Can't decide between that or a new gun. Seems like I would shoot the bow more often, so a better use of the money.

Default 2007 Tribute on sale

SW has the 2007 Bowtech tribute for $550 right now. The tribute is not in the 2008 lineup, so it is considered a discontinued item. The original price was $700. I think the only lower priced Bowtech is the TomKat, which comes as a kit. One negative I've heard about the TomKat is that the accessories: sight, rest, are not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Trash View Post
    SW has the 2007 Bowtech tribute for $550 right now. The tribute is not in the 2008 lineup, so it is considered a discontinued item. The original price was $700. I think the only lower priced Bowtech is the TomKat, which comes as a kit. One negative I've heard about the TomKat is that the accessories: sight, rest, are not that great.
    I think the tribute is the one that I looked at.

Stopped by sportsmans tonight and played a little. Looked at the ROSS CARDIAC and the new DIAMOND LEGACEY? Bthe felt nice in the hand and the pull was good. I need to let my shoulder heal up a little more and will go back and fling some arrows! The diamond bow was very nice but $700.00 for the bare bones!!!!!!!

I really like my Bowtech Extreme VFT, but the new Guardian (which I shot yesterday) with Center Pivot Limb design is almost shock free and somewhere between quiet and silent. Darn thing is ugly and around $800 bow only, but it's almost Christmas. Hard to imagine you can be in one of these new bows $1200!

Wyatt

You didn't leave room for a write in!!
    Fedora or Black Widow :-)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

There are two t's in Matthews
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

He spelled it right! Only one!

Wyatt

Find 3-5 bows with a good rep and that you like shoot them all till you narow it down to the one you want.

Go see Bill at Backcountry, off of Artic in Anchorage, cant go wrong. Tell Bill I said Hello. Gooduck

I shoot Ross, and think they're the best for the $, but would suggest you also consider Bowtech/Diamond.
    In the end, don't take the bow others vote for; choose the one you like the best.
    The bow doesn't have to feel right to anyone except yourself-

:}

PS- All the bows on your list are high quality, you cannot lose with any of them.
    You might note though, that if you want to put a String Suppressor on your bow, Kodiak is not drilled to accept one, and the Hoyts are only drilled to accept one from the front, which means the STS will be heavier and bulkier. The Ross Cardiac comes from the factory with a Supressor, which would save you $50. (Those darn Supressors really work; they eliminate both string noise and wrist slap.)

Well I Go For Write In For Black Widow.
    But Voted For Mathews Look At The Drenalin And Switchback
    My Son Is Getting My Icon And I Will Probably Get Drenalin Or The New Drenalin Model For 2008 Forget The 3 Letter Suffix, This Spring.
    All Those Bows Listed And Bowtech Are Very Good Bows What Fits You And Suits You Best.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I shoot a PSE Diablo - I like it....but thats just me :P

I see its not on the list, but has any one heard any input on the new 2008 PSE X-Force (dream season) besides how spendy it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast