Thread: taxidermy rates??????

Default taxidermy rates??????

ok guys I'm trying to plan a PWS spring black bear hunt for me a and a couple of buddies. i have lots of questions but that is for another time in another thread. i'm still trying to figure out our expenses and a over all cost for the trip. i thought it would be a good idea to include the price of taxidermy in the per person cost. i doubt all of us will be successful but, i would preffer to have the money budgeted and not spend it . Then spend a buch of money on a hunt and not be able to afford the mount. so whats the average price range i can expect to pay for rug and skull for a an average sized black bear? what have some of u guys paid? any suggestions on taxidermist?

I think most charge by the lineal foot and usually start at about $200 per. Now if you want them to flesh the hide split the ears, lips, and do the eyes that will be extra. It all depends on what you want done and who's going to do it.

Default rug

I paid right at $1000 for my 6.5 foot rug I left the skull and paws in the hide when I turned it into the taxidermist he also fleshed it.

Thumbs up Yup....sounds right

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I think most charge by the lineal foot and usually start at about $200 per. Now if you want them to flesh the hide split the ears, lips, and do the eyes that will be extra. It all depends on what you want done and who's going to do it.
    .....And remember....you get what you pay for when it comes to taxidermy work. Good work up here is running darn close to $200 a foot head to tail. Good pedistal mounts, 3/4 mounts...depending on the habitat and/or pedistal will get you close to $2k. I don't know about the folks down south there, but around here Browtine Taxidermy with Rich Hamilton is pulling away from the field when it comes to quality work....just MHO. I think if you research him on this forum you will find very positive feed back.

Default rug

I should mention it was about 8 yrs ago I paid $1000 sounds like prices have gone up

Thumbs up Taxidermist

I think AkHunter45 has a good estimate at $200 a foot. I would recomend Wade at Majestic Valley Taxidermy to do the work. He did my bear that I got this past spring and he has done work for several of my friends too. He really does quality work.

26010 White Spruce Drive
    Eagle River, Alaska 99577
    907-696-7575 or 907-632-2405
    Wade Miller, Owner

wadem@majesticvalleytaxidermy.com

One thing to ask is if the shop does the rugs in-house. Nowadays alot of folks are farming out rugs. If that is the case, cut out the middle man and take it somewhere else.

Cant help you on prices since I havent paid for a piece of taxidermy in 10 years.

I think I am paying $185 a foot at Fosters in Wasilla, and work is proven to be great!! Still don't have it but don't plan too until May, takes about 1 year.

Default I'll second that...

Fosters does great work and he is a great guy! My 5'6'' black bear rug was in the low 900s...he fleshed it and turned the lips and nose and that took it to a little over 1K. I was very pleased with the job!

Default Man you guys make my guy sound cheap

My taxidermists charges $85 a foot for blackies and $95 a foot for brownies. I always do the head and feet, he does the fleshing, ears and lips. For another $50 he does the boils and seal the skull. He should have my brownie done before the new years hopefully. He does good work and is a good guy. Just got lucky I guess to meet him. He did my first blackie for $425 into a rug. We took it to him gutted but whole. He skinned it while we watched. He butchered it for me. Then did the rug all for that price. Almost 10 years ago. His prices had not really changed. He has a fast turn around and does all the tanning himself. I can't say his and name. I wouldn't even think about it. He does other people stuff for us. But they go through us and have never met the guy. He doesn't want to get too busy to where he can't do his families animals and his close friends. If you are successfull let me know.

The problem with taxidermy in Alaska is it is real expensive compared with the lower-48.

And you know why that is? Wages is part of it, but try shipping moose or caribou antlers to the lower-48 to a taxidermist then have it shpped back when finished, is cost prohibitive!!!
    Another concern is the amount of experience a taxidermist has on certain types of game, such as Alaskan animals.

But this is not really true for bear rugs.

For years, here is what I have done.
    Freeze the bear hide, place in a ice chest, then FedX it to my taxidermist. It arrives, still frozen, to either coast.

When the rug is completed the taxidermist folds the rug into a cardboard box and mails it to me.

I used a guy in Portland for many years. A couple years ago I found a super taxidermist in Virginia.

Taxidermists, even Alaskan Taxidermists are just like any other profession, there are good ones and there are bad ones. Sometimes it seems there are a lot more bad ones. Ask around.

Default thanks guys

Thats exactly what i needed to know. thanks guys that helped out a bunch i'm still working out my logistics. So i'm sure i will have more questions especially as the hunt gets closer. so i will budget 200 bucks a foot and figure on a 5-6 and extra for splitting the ears and lips. I personally have never done a black bear so this is going to be a learning experience. i know in the past sportsmens warehouse has done clinics for bear hunting and skinning

As you are living in Eagle River, give Dave McClannahan a call, he's Lone Wolf Taxidermy. He charges $170 a foot, a little extra for turning lips and ears, and fleshing. He's retired military and gives a 10% military discount. He does excellent work so go over and see. 696-3611.

Default can't pay the Alaska rate

I can't pay the Alaska rate! I send my stuff outside to Montana and it is ALOT cheaper with HIGH QUALITY!

Default Out of State!!!

is the way to go for bears, never have one done in state, there is a huge difference in price. There are plenty of Tax.. in the lower 48 that do bears.

Default lower-48 tannery

My family runs a tannery in MT and I can tell you this. Shipping costs run pretty high for a tannery sending multiple hides to our local taxidermists, who in turn have to pass it on to us. It's part of the buisness.

Could we send our hides to the lower-48 ourselves and save a few bucks. Maybe, but those are numbers you'd have to run yourself. Might want to ask your taxidermist if the price will change if you bring in a tanned hide. That being said, make sure you follow your tannery manager's instructions prior to sending a cape; failure to follow simple rules will get you in the wallet as well.

As I have always been taught, "stick to what you know". Meaning, some of us have outstanding relationships with our meat cutters, taxidermists, guides, etc. and we like to keep it that way even if it costs a few extra dollars.

Tony

Default Cheeper in Montana

Just because it is in Montana dosen't mean its cheeper. I seen on ad from Montana that said they would do a five ft. blk. bear for $1250. I am sure you would have no problem getting it don eup here for that.