Thread: Arctic hare?

Default Arctic hare?

Does any one know if arctic hares are within driving distance? Has any one ever hunted them?

My impression was that arctic hares are only located north of the Brooks Range or out in Western Alaska. From the distribution map that I've looked at, they're nowhere near the road system. Sure would be fun to hunt, though, as they are supposed to be considerably larger.

They arent on the haul road? Yeah, these things are sposed to be 9-12lbs!!! And roam around in herds. They would be a cool small game trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    They arent on the haul road? Yeah, these things are sposed to be 9-12lbs!!! And roam around in herds. They would be a cool small game trophy.
    Possibly...I don't really know. I didn't really consider the Haul Road to be "within driving distance", but I suppose that it is for some!

Haha, yeah the haul road is a stretch for sure, but I might get there to caribou hunt or something. I guess I meant road accesible. I did a search on here and one post mentioned nome for Arctic hares.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My impression was that arctic hares are only located north of the Brooks Range or out in Western Alaska. From the distribution map that I've looked at, they're nowhere near the road system. Sure would be fun to hunt, though, as they are supposed to be considerably larger.
    i beleive there are some here in the interior.. there have been times some rather large Hare have been taken, out of groups.. and by large i mean 2-3 times the size.. i have seen a few in new clear cuts that i presumed were arctics also... standing a good bit taller then the smaller snowshoes...

but again, its few and far between, if i were to want to target them.. i would head north
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I worked on the pipeline construction and drove the haul road from the time of inception from Coldfoot to Prudhoe Bay and then in later years I had many trips to Endicott Island. I saw much wildlife of all the types that are up there but I never saw an Arctic Hare. They are much bigger than a snowshoe hare and I would have known it instantly had I have ever seen one.

There's one mounted in the Fairbanks F&G office. It's standing on its hind legs and looks like it's about three feet tall... maybe two and a half.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.