Thread: Need help with Traxter Rear

Default Need help with Traxter Rear

I have 2001 Traxter it has been a very solid dependable ride. 13000 miles and runs like new. I lost the pinion bearing a couple of weeks ago. I have the manual and I'm a pretty good wrench. But I can't get the bearing nut out of the case to replace it. The book doesn't show anytype of lock on the nut. Looking at the treads in the housing its not left handed, but 800 ft/lbs hasent broken it and I'm a little worried about heating the aluminum case. I'd hate to ruin my rear and have to buy another wheeler. this one refuses to quit and give me an excuss. I'm out of state right now but will be moving back to AK in March and I'd like to have everything back together when I get there. If anybody has any suggestions any help would be apreciated. Thanks Again

John

Quote Originally Posted by John.adams View Post
    but 800 ft/lbs hasent broken it
    John
    man thats tight! Is there any way you could take a picture of it and post it? Having a hard time picturing it. Is it the pinion nut?

Default I will try to find the camera tonight

Kids!! After I locate me camera I'll try to post a pic tonight. the Nut that holds the bering in is an external thread with a four notch internal face to it. 800 ft lbs equals me suspended on a four foot bar with the rear chained to the workbench. I also tried a good hamer and drift to no effect. I'm going to try a little heat tonight.

John

Looking at the schematic and not seeing a set screw, jam nut, or lock collar I would bet the threads have loctite on them. I'm guessing you have the special socket for the nut since you can put that much pressure on it. Have you sprayed it with PB Blaster or any kind of penetrating lube to break the gunk loose? I would spray it and the next day heat the housing around the nut and see if it'll break loose. Be careful with the heat. You don't want to damage the other o-rings and seals in the housing.

AHHHH, I got ya, wheel bearing nut. You say your socket has 4 "tangs" on it? There is about 4 ways to lock those, I suspect your style is the "racheting style" and those can be a pain in the butt. Those you need to push hard on the socket as well as turn it, it has like a cog locking ring of teeth, pushing on it separates the cog's and allow's the nut to turn.